Help and Advice please?

Hello,

I have had a HGV 3 since 1977 and a PSV since 1979. From 1979 to 1992 I did bus service and then drove coaches all over Europe doing shuttles to Spain and Italy as well as tours Paris, Amsterdam, Black Forrest, Metz, Reims etc. I was a manager of 3 drivers and lived in Lyon for 5 years so loads of experience.

OK so in 1992 I did a HND then Degree in IT and embarked on that career. My licences needed a medical when I was 45 in 2003 but thinking I would never do that job again did not bother. Now I want to drive HGV 2 and my medical is booked for the 22nd May. I thought I would do the D2 & D4 then get my HIAB, Moffett, CPC to make me more competitive for jobs but to my horror no one will employ you at agencies unless you have at least 6months experience in the last 2 years! So I might as well do my C+E as well but at 55 am I just flogging a dead horse? Who in their right mind would employ me?

Appreciate any thoughts

Just a thought and only an opinion (unqualified).

Are you able to prove your qualifications previous to your renewed licence.

Ie do you still have the old PSV / HGV book licences.

That would get you round the perceived newbie status. (I would have thought).

My crystal ball is not working as quick today for some reason.

But I can see you’ll get a good price off a well known supermarket for that dead horse!

Personally I wouldn’t bother with C+E. You’ve got cat C (class 2) so why not make that earn some money. By the time you’ve paid for DCPC, DIGI card, HIAB etc, that will set you back a fair few bucks. Maybe worth doing a refresher course to get back into the swing of driving a truck again.

I was in a similar position to you last year. Did my C+E and passed first time but landed up with a cat C (class 2) driving job.

BUT, it’s your money and you do what you feel is right. Just be aware though, that things have changed a hell of a lot from the days of class 3!

dar1976:
Just a thought and only an opinion (unqualified).

Are you able to prove your qualifications previous to your renewed licence.

Ie do you still have the old PSV / HGV book licences.

That would get you round the perceived newbie status. (I would have thought).

Just edited it as I have now checked and the column 10 “from” has the date you passed your test not the date of licence renewal if I am right. There still is the problem of recent experience though and I am wondering whether to do class 1 anyway?

macci:
My crystal ball is not working as quick today for some reason.

But I can see you’ll get a good price off a well known supermarket for that dead horse!

Personally I wouldn’t bother with C+E. You’ve got cat C (class 2) so why not make that earn some money. By the time you’ve paid for DCPC, DIGI card, HIAB etc, that will set you back a fair few bucks. Maybe worth doing a refresher course to get back into the swing of driving a truck again.

I was in a similar position to you last year. Did my C+E and passed first time but landed up with a cat C (class 2) driving job.

BUT, it’s your money and you do what you feel is right. Just be aware though, that things have changed a hell of a lot from the days of class 3!

I know I get all the info from my brother who was earning mega bucks in 1988 driving for Tescos in Milton Keynes. Now he is agency and actually earns less that he did then but I can tell you other industries are no different. I got my degree IT in 1997 and in 2003 I was on £35k Bupa company car the same 3rd line Support Engineers now are on £25 and they need to know EVERYTHING and it is far more study than this industry:
TCP/IP, LINUX, CISCO, WINDOWS MCSE MCP (these change every 3 years approx), VMWARE, ITIL, UNIX, SQL SERVER, ECOMMERCE platforms, WEB authoring and the list goes on and on. You are expected to be away from home half the time and you are expected to burn the midnight oil! After my Degree I thought that was it but it was the start! Add to that you are following orders from someone a third of your age who got her job because she “knows” someone and the cushy office job soon loses its appeal. :smiley:

So going back to this looks far more attractive than an old grumpy sod like me in IT ha ha

As you are determined to get back into the game then get a medical around £50 and go for CE

It seems that it is the length of time that the particular licence category has been on the licence more than actual experience which counts so you will be fine for C work but may struggle with CE work for a while

HGV 3 in 1977 … does that mean you already have a CE with a restriction code 102 for W&D?
PS - how are you doing with your dcpc 35 hours?
Are you ok with the drivers hours rules which changed in 2007 ?

ROG:
As you are determined to get back into the game then get a medical around £50 and go for CE

It seems that it is the length of time that the particular licence category has been on the licence more than actual experience which counts so you will be fine for C work but may struggle with CE work for a while

HGV 3 in 1977 … does that mean you already have a CE with a restriction code 102 for W&D?
PS - how are you doing with your dcpc 35 hours ?

Hi Rog, I am not familiar with it but I think I am HGV 2 and can tow a trailer but with a weight restriction? I did HGV 3 in the army. I did drive Bedford 4 tonners with Bridging Equipment on a trailer behind I was in the Royal Engineers. I won’t know until it is put back on my licence?

PS I was going to do the 35 hours on a course. However doing HIAB, Moffett and maybe ADR will have most of it included and then I can do the extra modules. I think doing C + E might be a good idea and get familiar with all he new stuff. Driving is a piece of cake I have driven everything from crash gearboxes to fully automatic Scanias double deck 3 axles but it is all the EU rules that I am studying now

alder:

ROG:

Hi Rog, I am not familiar with it but I think I am HGV 2 and can tow a trailer but with a weight restriction? I did HGV 3 in the army. I did drive Bedford 4 tonners with Bridging Equipment on a trailer behind I was in the Royal Engineers. I won’t know until it is put back on my licence?

You can call DVLA and ask them but will know for sure once medical done and licence back

If you do have CE 102 then that restricts you to CE W&Ds (no CE artics) and there is not a weight restriction if you have

This is going to seem silly but is true … If you have a CE 102 then you can go to a LGV test centre by yourself in a W&D with no plates - put L plates on for CE test - pass and get full CE - pass or fail remove L plates and drive off by yourself !! = seriously

How many dcpc hours do you have so far ? = 35 needed by deadline of 09/09/2014 if you want to drive LGVs commercially after that date

If need some dcpc hours then there are a few dcpc approved CE courses around which will cost a little more but worth it for the dcpc hours - check with provider if their course is dcpc approved and how much extra it will be
I would not advise booking a course with a broker - go visit schools and do an assessment before paying any money

Sounds like you’ve just answered your own question.

Go for it and good luck.

alder:
Driving is a piece of cake I have driven everything from crash gearboxes to fully automatic Scanias double deck 3 axles

Its driving the way that the DSA want to see that is likely to be your biggest hurdle

ROG:

alder:

ROG:

You can call DVLA and ask them but will know for sure once medical done and licence back

If you do have CE 102 then that restricts you to CE W&Ds (no CE artics) and there is not a weight restriction if you have

This is going to seem silly but is true … If you have a CE 102 then you can go to a LGV test centre by yourself in a W&D with no plates - put L plates on for CE test - pass and get full CE - pass or fail remove L plates and drive off by yourself !! = seriously

How many dcpc hours do you have so far ? = 35 needed by deadline of 09/09/2014 if you want to drive LGVs commercially after that date

If need some dcpc hours then there are a few dcpc approved CE courses around which will cost a little more but worth it for the dcpc hours - check with provider if their course is dcpc approved and how much extra it will be
I would not advise booking a course with a broker - go visit schools and do an assessment before paying any money

Yes I have been looking around and won’t touch brokers :laughing: I like the look of Tockwith and I think they have a good reputation? I was thinking of doing an assessment and then doing a load of courses coming out all knowledged up and ready to fly :smiley: Yes it is 2014 for LGV but it is THIS september for PCV but I won’t be doing bus work unless I need to fill in gaps for income as a few people seem to struggles getting fulltime work at first anyway.

Missing the PCV DCPC deadline is not a problem if you meet the LGV DCPC deadline because once the 35 hours have been completed the PCV comes back into force

If PCV dcpc not in force from 09/09/2013 to when the 35 hours are completed then you cannot drive PCVs commercially in that period