Help & Advice

Dear All

Justa bit of advice please.

Ive just passed my C+E. Im currently in employment but due to retire in 6 years time. I wanted to venture out in a totally different field and chose driving LGV’s for a living. This wasn’t a rash decision as I used to go off with my uncle in his truck as a lad and loved it.

Obviously getting a job six years down the line with no experience would be quite difficult. I have thought of joining an Agency but this I would imagine would be full time temp work , if you know what I mean. I work shifts and would be wanting to work on the odd day off but this could be any day of the week really. Has anyone any suggestions.

Also
I passed my car test prior to 1997 and therefore (So Ive been told by DSA) I don’t have to take the test parts of my CPC but do have to do the 35 hours training. When do I have to complete the training by and does it last 5 years from now or 5 years from when I take the training. Lastly how much does it cost.

Sorry for lots of questions but if you don’t know, then you don’t know.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Steve

The dcpc lats until 2014 then you have to start again with it but if you do it al now it will last until 2019

Depends where you live is to the cost of it where you passed do they do it & wlll they give you a discount :question:

You could have already poss done 7 hr with your training although depends if they ( your provider ) was registered

You may work some day on agency driving while in full time work but it will all count as part of your working week for the WTD

Thanks for that.

I currently live in Scarborough, North Yorkshire so would be looking for somewhere near here. Its mostly about getting the experience that I need. Ive only just passed my test and don’t know anything. Maybe doing the CPC, even if Im not currently driving will help.

Where would I find the training programme for CPC from.

Cheers

Steve

Mostly your local training providers ( who did you pass your test with :question: & do they do it :question: you could always call them & ask

Registar with some agencies in your area as well some of them help with the cpc or can sort it out but ask as not all do

Noddy220:

There is no set training programme but there is a vast choice of dcpc courses available in blocks of 7 hours drivercpc.org/en/approved-ce … s/courses/ enjoy !!

Go to : www.drivercpc-periodictraining.org/appr … s-courses/

Prices range from the very cheap at around £30 to the other end at around £150+ per day. In all cases beware that the price often excludes VAT (20%) and the DSA upload fee which is £8.75 for each module attended.

There are currently no exams and the information that, by doing it now you would have a valid card until Sept 2019, is correct. There is no penalty, in other words, for doing it early.

Some employers are asking for driver cpc as it saves them a potential cost although it’s not their responsibility.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you all very much for your help.

Im looking at getting the CPC as soon as possible. I can then learn a little bit about the haulage business.

I will then be in a better position to put myself forward and Ill also have my CPC.

Cheers again

Steve

You will probably learn more here than you will on many dCPC courses unfortunately. Be VERY choosy as to which training provider you use course content and it’s accuracy varies greatly as does the quality of trainer. You also need to satisfy yourself that you are actually dealing with a bona fide training organisation who will upload your training hours within the required time limits and not run off with your money.

MMMMMMMM

Called into a local agency today. They said that I could not register with them as I didn’t have any
experience. I asked how much experience would be required and they said two years. I asked them how was I able to get two years experience if no one will give you a start. They said that this is what is required by the haulage companies who go to them for drivers.

How does that work then. If no one will employ you how are you supposed to get experience.

I have got a list go local haulage companies. Im going to visit them and see what they say.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve

Noddy220:
MMMMMMMM

Called into a local agency today. They said that I could not register with them as I didn’t have any
experience. I asked how much experience would be required and they said two years. I asked them how was I able to get two years experience if no one will give you a start. They said that this is what is required by the haulage companies who go to them for drivers.

How does that work then. If no one will employ you how are you supposed to get experience.

They don’t mean two years’ experience, they mean you have to have held a full licence for two years.

Try approaching firms direct, especially smaller hauliers.

Harry Monk:

Noddy220:
MMMMMMMM

They don’t mean two years’ experience, they mean you have to have held a full licence for two years.

Try approaching firms direct, especially smaller hauliers.

Not now most want at least 6mth recent checkable experience

Same old as has been around since year … as with any job

Think about it you who they dont know take a unit worth approx.50k + trailer loaded with goods out how would you feel if this was your comp :question: :bulb:

animal:
Think about it you who they dont know take a unit worth approx.50k + trailer loaded with goods out how would you feel if this was your comp :question: :bulb:

Personally, if it was my own company I would prefer to employ a newly qualified driver, and many firms do share this approach, Gist being one example that I know of. It’s far better in the long term to train somebody from scratch rather than taking on someone with a lifetime of bad habits behind them- me for example. :wink:

This has been an issue since I was a wean but there’s always the exception to the rule. You could ask those who knocked you back to take you on as a van driver. If you do that there’s a chance a job for an LGV driver will come up which they might struggle to fill. It’s at these times the two year rule can often be overlooked!
Keep looking for the agency that will take you on. These will tend to be the smaller outfits and as above contact local hauliers direct, personal visits can be really worthwhile. As other newbies who have found work will confirm, perseverance is the key.

Harry Monk:

animal:

Personally, if it was my own company I would prefer to employ a newly qualified driver, and many firms do share this approach, Gist being one example that I know of. It’s far better in the long term to train somebody from scratch rather than taking on someone with a lifetime of bad habits behind them- me for example. :wink:

Companies with this approach are few and far between though.

Thanks for that everyone. Ill keep working on it. Im not in a rush. Im in a good job at the moment but obviously looking to venture into another career.

I will approach local companies to see how accommodating they are.

Fingers crossed.

Ill let you all know.

Cheers

Steve