HELP.........advice on curtainsiders, please!

I start a new run tonight and suspect I may have to possibly use a curtainside trailer. Having not used one before I would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. Thanks.

Release ratchet, undo buckles, lift pole out, pull curtains. Replacement is a reversal of the removal procedure. :smiley:

There are several different types.

Some have a ratchet at both ends, so you can just open the rear etc

Some - like most on Stobarts I’ve used - only have a ratchet at the front, so you have to open it all up to drop a few pallets from the back :unamused:

If you don’t see any buckles, look for some controls towards the back that look like the parking brake style valve on the trailer, these are on the roller style, basically a big cord runs down each side, you hook the rollers onto the cord, then you hit the plunger and it drags the cord tight and the curtain becomes taut.

There are a few other types, but other than the last 1, most are obvious when you look at them.

To release the ratchet, there’s a few different ways, some have a little lever on the handle, some have a seperate handle on the other side of the post from the lever, but they are obvious and you can always ask, most goods in staff know about trailers.

Good luck mate, you’re gonna need it if that wind doesn’t die down. If it’s really windy and you can’t get trailer into shelter, when you get it towards front, hook a couple of the ratchets on so it doesn’t get blown open before you get the pole in or smack you in the head.

waynedl:

Some - like most on Stobarts I’ve used - only have a ratchet at the front, so you have to open it all up to drop a few pallets from the back :unamused:

Yes, I hate those things, what doofus thought that would be a good idea?

Harry Monk:

waynedl:

Yes, I hate those things, what doofus thought that would be a good idea?

The accountant, I imagine… :angry:

paddy76:
I start a new run tonight and suspect I may have to possibly use a curtainside trailer. Having not used one before I would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. Thanks.

Don’t stress mate they are a piece of cake :slight_smile:

You will see the ratchets which are easy to use - Some have one and others have two

If you are unsure ask the forkie lads as they will know what to do and they will help you. Remember they load trailers as well as unload them. They will help you out no problem :slight_smile:

Just a couple of points. I released the buckles before the ratchet and only do one side at a time if it’s blowing a gale. Carry a large screwdriver to lever the bent poles out of the ratchets. Yeah, Stobbies really saved money with one ratchet per side.

Yes, if they absolutely had to make do with one ratchet per side, it seems that it would have made more sense to have put it on the back, because if you multi-drop you nearly always start from the back, not the front.

Just a couple of extra points. It isn’t always obvious how to release some of the winders, they usually have a fairly obvious smaller lever above the main one - pull that out & the winder releases, others have a small trigger on the winder handle and some have a release lever on the front of the headboard. Remember to return the lever to the locking position after release for when you put the pole back. Some poles lie in a vertical channel where the whole thing goes round, wrapping the curtain tight, others have 'pins top & bottom - make sure you have the pole in the top pin as it’s a great way of bending the pole if you don’t. Most curtainsiders have vertical supports which you may have to move out of the way if side-tipping/loading. They vary in how they’re fixed, but are generally fairly obvious, some even have labels on explaining - watch out for the ones that can release suddenly & whack you in the face. Along with a screwdriver to lever the poles out, occasionally a hammer or something else heavy is needed to get the side supports in or out.

Thank you all very much, this all looks ■■■■ useful. I’ll update on progress. Once again, many thanks.

check it out before you leave your yard

My mantra is “Don’t be proud, ask before you leave”. You will get more respect for asking how it works before you leave than ■■■■■■■ it up when you get there. :sunglasses: :wink:

On windy days I wear a hard hat, the poles and buckles can be lethal.

my curtains were tied back before i left the yard today…think ahead , was a crackin day when i left but knew it was gonna get bad in englandshire… :slight_smile: