Help,advice and hello!

Hey people, this is my first post on here.

Im maybe wanting a bit of help and advice and who knows i might find what i need!

Ive had my class 2 since 2007, class 1 August 2008. I stupidly got a ban in november 2008, got a 13 month ban. Got licences back january 2010. I havent managed to get much HGV work since really, i understand my ban really didnt help but a local container company gave me a little chance with a bit of saturday work. i thought they were taking the mick after a few weeks so jacked them. Ive been driving for the NHS since october 2013, only on vans though. I have good knowledge and confidence in all size vehicles although i dont have much experience in class 1. I do occasionaly have some referesher training by a company near me just to keep my hand in!

I really do want to get back on wagons but i dont just want to jump into any company. Ideally will be day work although the odd nights out wouldnt be a major problem. Even though im currently only driving a van the hourly rate is around £8 p/h so from some of the jobs ive seen advertised there isnt many class1 jobs paying this! Maybe im looking in the wrong places! Ive completed all my DCPC modules which i went through last year.

just wondering if any off you helpful people could recommend any decent companies around me i could maybe send a speculative Email too. I live near dewsbury and dont mind a bit of traveling to work but not too far!

Anyway im going on a little now so thanks for reading and i look forward to my time on trucknet!

Paul :smiley:

I think you’re going to have to front up and say what your ban was for if you want a proper answer…

A lot of jobs say that they can’t accept applications from people with endorsements like Drink Driving or No Insurance, as their own insurance won’t cover them.

htfc1984:
just wondering if any off you helpful people could recommend any decent companies around me i could maybe send a speculative Email too. I live near dewsbury and dont mind a bit of traveling to work but not too far!

And where do you live ? Oh and welcome by the way. Edit; Excuse my blindness you mention where you live. DOH :blush:

bald bloke:

htfc1984:

And where do you live ? Oh and welcome by the way.

Nr Dewsbury if you read :wink:

Yeah it was drink driving, no big secret. Not proud of my mistakes but i wont hide them.

When i got my licence back when i tried to get straight back into it alot of companies said they not many would touch me until 5 years had lapsed due to insurance (after 5 years i also dont have to declare it to my car insurance neither). Its now nearly 6 years so thats why im stepping it up a little.

I thought DD’s were on a licence for 10 years and were only removed after 11 years. (But I could be wrong)

So while you may not HAVE to declare it. If it’s still on your licence for 10 years, it’s not looking great when you are asked to produce it. And probably worse if you haven’t been upfront about it!

But hopefully i’m wrong!

It’s getting tougher with a DD on your licence, wether you declare it or not. I’ve just been to sign up with an agency, they took a copy of my licences and then phoned dvla as I sat there, gave me the phone to pass my details over, then checked with the guy that my licence was clean, it is so it wasn’t a drama.
All I could suggest is the usual, get around the transport company doors, ask around, leave the CV, admit your mistake and hope for the best. On the upside vacancies might be going up after September 10th

Yeah it is on your licence for 10 years, but like a couple of TM’s have said in the past after 5 years it generally isnt a major problem.

I am always upfront about it. Never hide it when applying for jobs, and if i ever get a call for an interview i always say i have it before wasting both of our times. That container company gave me a chance as i offered to pay 50% of any extra excess i might add to their policy, obviously only if any damage occured

Don’t know from personal experience but going off previous threads on this subject - smaller firms seem to more flexible and “understanding”, and my advice is face to face is always better as at least you can fully answer any questions/doubts they have.

You’ll struggle with agencies, until they really need you… then it won’t matter.

Smaller companies are your best bet. The bigger players have their regs and they aren’t flexible, until they want them to be. But in general, you’ll struggle with a DD at bigger places.

There are a few round West Yorks that you could try. Not sure how many would take you with a DD as it’s not something I’ve ever asked.

PM me if you want a few ideas.