Hello!

Hi everybody.

Having driven Buses in around the Sunderland area for 3 years (Another story)
I decided to invest in retraining and moving on to HGV.

Got my C in August 06 and my CE in November.

Now working for FREIGHTROUTE based in County Durham on rigids.

Have just been put through my ADR by employer.

Am absolutely loving it by the way, BUT…

Having passed my CE and only getting the opportunity to drive our ONLY Artic once in a blue moon I am getting a tad frustrated.

I keep getting promised that the 2nd Artic job that comes to the depot will be mine but my feet are getting itchy as it just looks like it aint gonna happen and I have been thinking about looking elsewhere…

Given that I’m only new to the game relatively speaking, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me? Should I stay patient, learn as much as I can, or choose the quick and easy path, and jump from job to job getting experience that way? (Doesn’t look that good on a CV that though.)

Personally, I suspect the former is the sensible course of action, and it’s likely that that will be the way that I go I guess, but I’d be interested to read of anyone elses experiences?

One day I’d like to become an owner driver and there’s another thing that’s got me thinkiing.

I know I need my CPC (I already have medium size yard in Hartlepool with a friend) but I don’t know what I should be hauling, should I just have a unit and go to places and haul THEIR trailers or get my own?

Quite a large rambling first post to make I know, but thank’s for your patience!!

Much to learn, I still have!

Great site, have read a lot of posts over the last week. (Mods I aplogise if I am off topic or posting in wrong forum- I run my own forum- nothing to do with trcking- and I know how annoying it can be if peeps post off top.)

Andy.

Welcome Matchbox. :wink:

Personally I think I’d stay where you are if the money and conditions are OK. They have invested in you with your ADR, and they have said that you will be going on to drive the artics as and when a slot comes up.

You are still getting experience, and artics can bring problems of their own sometimes. Also, getting a job anywhere is not easy without a couple of years experience. Read the other threads on here. There are loads of newbies that would love to be in your position. :sunglasses:

That said, I know what it is like when you are itching to drive the bendys, and you have the bus experience which isn’t that unlike driving a rigid. But there is no rush - you’ll get there and it sounds like you’re already off to a very good start.

As far as setting up on your own goes, I’d get more driving experience first. Then see what work is about before you worry about what equipment to get.

Good luck!

That’s the advice I was hoping to hear Fenman.

Thankyou!

Not much to add here, really…Just wanted to point out that I did the jumping from job to job thing as I had no choice, and it was a long way from the easy option! :open_mouth:

Also, you’ll know when you’re ready to go O/D when you no longer need to ask the questions you have on the subject. If you don’t know those sorts of basics, you don’t know enough about the industry yet. :wink:

A good place to start would be to get involved on the O/D’s Forum on here. Have a good read and take it from there. :bulb:

matchbox:
Hi everybody.

Having driven Buses in around the Sunderland area for 3 years (Another story)

Blimey :open_mouth: bet you were tired at the end of it, :laughing: I know a few hauliers who could use a driver with stamaner like that. :laughing:

If the jobs okay then I’d stay where you are for now. You could get another job driving artics and find the conditions worse.

However I think you will need to move sooner or later just ot get a taste of a different type of haulage. Something like Containers or fridges or just good old general haulage.

As for being an Owner Driver, It’s an attactive idea, but this is a cut throat industry and it’s bound up with more rules and regs than most can get thier head round.

Traction work subbying for a haulier is normal way of doing it, they find the work for you instead of you having to go round finding work on a daily basis. having you own trailer will mean you can charge more, but it more expense and could limit the work you go and find.
Some companies hire trailers to subby’s as part of the terms of work, especially on containers.

But as Lucy said read the stuff on the Owner drivers forum you should learn alot and see the pit falls of it before you leap into it.

muckles:
Blimey :open_mouth: bet you were tired at the end of it, :laughing: I know a few hauliers who could use a driver with stamaner like that. :laughing:

LOL!

Thankyou all for your advice.

I am of the opinion that I have been most fortunate to have gotten a permanent job in haulage with little or no experience, I must admit my boss is a very decent and likeable fella (though his interviews without coffee are not at all decent OR likeable!)

The OD forum is indeed with warnings and experiences that only the insanely stupid or stupidly well off could afford to ignore IMO. -And thats just the stuff I’ve read!-

In three years’ time, I shall revisit the owner driver option, by which time I should have saved enough money, gained enough experience and mademy mind up if OD is the way for me, or not!

In the meantime, intend to be a regular here!

Thanks all of you (again.)

Andy.

Yep the OD’s forum can be a bit of an eye opener, but it does suit some people, although you’ll probally never be rich as an OD I think you can make a living, but even the best Od’s can be a victim of circumstances and can fail despite making a good decisions made with the best information at the time.

I’m pleased you look forward to being a regular on here, you might think you have limited experience, but you have got to the first stage that many here are trying to get to, that is a paid HGV driving job, so your experiences will be helpfull to many.

:smiley:

I would go along with the advice you have been given. There are a lot of crap driving jobs out there and a boss and a job you like are worth sticking with for a while. You never know the artic driver may leave.