Hello

Found this site yesterday & just wanted to say “HI”.

I am currently a van driver (I am told that you lot hate us, but I have always found LGV drivers to be the most courteous & conciderate on the road). :smiley:

Anyways, I am currently trying to save for my LGV C and have found this forum to be very helpful indeed. I was quite surprised to see how little government -backed traing, etc there is to help people get into the industry. For example, I could choose just about any other trade & get most if not all training for free! :open_mouth: And I am 2 years too old for the YDS. :frowning:

Anyways, is it really worth getting in touch with local companies to see if anyone would provide training? There are ALOT of comapnies around my way, so this could be useful.

Hi toploadertom, welcome to trucknet

As for trying local companies for training, it is possible to do just that, I know some of the larger companies do something called a warehouse to wheels scheme.

That means they train some of their warehouse staff who are interested upto C+E licence. unfortunaly, that might mean you have to work in a warehouse for a few months.

the only downside to training with a firm is that you are tied to them for a fixed period of time(usually a couple of years) even if you hate it.

If you can you would be better off trying to fund it yourself.

There are some schemes around if you look hard enough. e.g. the school I was with ran this one:-
Pay for your cat C, they give you a free cpc course, take the exams and pass within 1 year, govt pays for your cat C+E

Also, I don’t know if they still do it but Driver hire agency used to do something along the lines of assisting towards upgrading your licence.

just a few idea’s for you

hiya toploadertom

welcome to trucknet m8

I am currently a van driver (I am told that you lot hate us, but I have always found LGV drivers to be the most courteous & conciderate on the road).

Oh you’ll go far on this sit m8 talking like that.You smooth talker you are.

Do a search and it will come up with this topic.There are a few companies that do training,but there is alway’s a catch.Just be careful that you find out what that catch is b4 you commit to anything.

Welcome to trucknet :wink:

Thanks for the advice guys, a quick internet search for local hauliers and have already found one company looking for drivers to train. :sunglasses:

Hi Tom,

We don’t hate ALL van drivers. Only the ones that cut us up, or those that drive like total ■■■■■■■■■ with no regard for anyone else! :laughing:

Good luck with sorting out your training chap! :wink:

Welcome to Trucknet Toploadertom. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Toploadertom welcome to TruckNet UK
and good luck :smiley:

welcome to trucknet toploadertom

if you don’t mind traveling omnia drivng used to do the goverment funded training scheme. there based in burton on trent.

telephone 01283 500599

good luck

jon

Thanks Jon, Will give them a call. :smiley:

Hello Toploadertom :slight_smile:

Good luck with the training

Toploadertom

looked in tonights free paper in the area and ennstones at bardon quarry are looking to train class 2 drivers subject to contract.

which will proberbly mean you will have to give them a couple of years on the quarry

if your intrested call stephen quinn on 01332 862254