Hello. Total newbie. Need advice

Hi. I’m 24 (25 in 1 month), I live in Cardiff. I’m interested in getting a HGV license as my brother-in-law drivers a hi-ab (?) in South Wales. he’s been doing this for about 18 months and is already earning £22,000+, and mentions that he gets offered lots of jobs, and he works normal hours (9-5), so those few reasons are why I’d like to give this a shot.

I’ve got information from a few local companies - DLT Training, Red Dragon, Big Wheelers - and have been advised to go with DLT. They charge £911 for the rigid vehicle course and test, and £950 for the articulated vehicle training and test. I think Red Dragon charge around £650ish, but I’d rather to with DLT as people have recommended them as being the best.

I understand that I have to pass the theory test, I have the book for that (am still waiting on the DVD). First question: is the hazard perception test the same as for the car test?

Also I have got the D4 medical form. I’ve looked around that thread with all the doctors who will fill it in for a fee, but I think I’ll just ring my local doctor and see what they charge for it. Second question: my friend is a doctor. Can he fill in the form? Also, is there anything the doctor can fail you for? I have a medical condition that once caused me to have low blood iron. I take an iron tablet daily as maintenance basically, and haven’t had any problems with this for about 8 years. It doesn’t affect me in daily life in any way whatsoever.

Third question: do I need to get the medical form complete before I take the theory test?

Is there lots of work available for drivers? I’ve seen posts on here from people saying they’ve having trouble finding jobs etc.

Last question (I think): I’m planning on doing the rigid vehicle test, then straight after, the articulated vehicle test. My brother-in-law did it like this and he advised it. Is it the right course? DLT Training Ltd tells me there is about a 3 week gap between being able to do this as it takes this time for the DVLA to upgrade and return your license etc. I don’t want to get into cross-country artic driving right away, something like driving that hiab around South Wales sounds like a good job for me. In a few years when I have more experience I could always do the articulated training. My main question on this is, would it benefit me to have both in a job search? Do I need only the rigid (Class C or whatever it’s called) to drive something like a hiab?

TIA to any who reply :slight_smile:

A HIAB is the short way of saying a lorry mounted crane, basically. You will need to do a separate course and test to get a ticket saying you can legally operate one.

Now not wishing to be a doom monger, personally I think the claims by your brother have been “bigged up” to make it sound like a bed of roses. The reality is that it’s not and as a n00b you will struggle to find work. There is no doubt about that.

£22k on rigids doing hiab work 9-5 in your area is pie in the sky, trust me. That works out at £10.57 per hour !!! :open_mouth: You haven’t got a hope in hell of making that kind of money working for a company. Expect £6 to £6.50 per hour on rigids and £7 to £7.50 per hour on artics as a general rule.

Rog will be along in a bit to fill you in on the test details. :wink:

davedave:
Last question (I think): I’m planning on doing the rigid vehicle test, then straight after, the articulated vehicle test. My brother-in-law did it like this and he advised it. Is it the right course? DLT Training Ltd tells me there is about a 3 week gap between being able to do this as it takes this time for the DVLA to upgrade and return your license etc. I don’t want to get into cross-country artic driving right away, something like driving that hiab around South Wales sounds like a good job for me. In a few years when I have more experience I could always do the articulated training. My main question on this is, would it benefit me to have both in a job search? Do I need only the rigid (Class C or whatever it’s called) to drive something like a hiab?

TIA to any who reply :slight_smile:

Hi davedave WELCOME :grimacing:

I’d say that your best course of action is to do the medical first. If you fail that, then you’ve limited your expenditure :smiley:

I’d take the theory test next, but only after you’ve learned all the LGV questions and your passing the HPT at every practice attempt. It’s a total waste of your theory test fee if you take it before you’re exceeding the pass marks for BOTH parts. IIRC, you can’t split the theory test, both parts must be passed one after the other on the same day.

Next comes the “Cat C” training and test.

My honest advice is to then stick with what you’ve got for 2 reasons.

1. Most employers probably won’t touch you with your new artic licence, because of a combination of your age and lack of truck driving experience.
  2. It might be that truck driving isn’t for you for any one of a large number of potential reasons, so again, my advice is to limit your spend and take it one step at a time.

Experience gained driving “Cat C” vehicles will stand you in good stead in terms of experience for future job hunting AND will also stand you in good stead for doing your “CAT C+E” course and test, since you’ll be more at home driving LGVs by then.

Against point #1 above is the fact that the longer you leave the licence progression from Cat “C” to Cat “C+E” the more expensive the “C+E” course and test will become. Of course, the amount of cash that you have available might also influence your decisions. Although I really hope it won’t be necessary, you might think about setting some cash aside for any possible re-sits. All you need on test day is some idiot in a car to screw it up for you.
There’s many a story on that subject in this forum :wink:

:open_mouth: Your brother-in-law might have told you that there’s a separate course altogether for a HIAB. A HIAB is only a crane attachment and doesn’t form any part of the LGV driving test, so the type of LGV driving licence you need depends only on the category of vehicle on which the HIAB is mounted.

TIP: Do a search for posts by ROG and click the link in his signature. He’s written tons of stuff you’ll find very useful.
Looks like he’s knocked off early again today. :wink:
:laughing: That’s twice this week already :unamused:

:smiley: I’ve left the other questions you’ve asked to those with current info on the subject matter.:smiley:

:grimacing: I hope this helps :grimacing:

EDIT Rob K has beaten me to this, but I’d agree with his estimate of the likely wages.
:wink: ZBing (Saved the auto-censor a job there) arthritis :smiling_imp:

Welcome davedave :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

is the hazard perception test the same as for the car test?

YES

is there anything the doctor can fail you for? I have a medical condition that once caused me to have low blood iron. I take an iron tablet daily as maintenance basically, and haven’t had any problems with this for about 8 years. It doesn’t affect me in daily life in any way whatsoever.

Do not see a problem with this :smiley:

I’m planning on doing the rigid vehicle test, then straight after, the articulated vehicle test. My brother-in-law did it like this and he advised it. Is it the right course?

I would recommend the same as Diseldave - get experience on C for a few months before doing CE but do a DSA style test drive for one morning or afternoon each week to keep your procedures fresh.
Try this for some pre training tips trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857 & Please leave a comment on the end of it once you’ve read it — thank you.
ANOTHER NEWBIE wrote: “Can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what I have to do to start with so I can tick off on paper?”

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:
Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:
Stage 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from various driving schools). Please contact you’re GP or www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Stage 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, I recommended that you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Stage 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Stage 4
Book your training course with LGV Training School. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.
The driver CPC is not the same as the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!
For some idea of cost try trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

This post is worth a read trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … 678#277678

If you have the time then this very long thread from a newbie who went through theory, C & CE might be worth a read trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … sc&start=0

davedave:
Second question: my friend is a doctor. Can he fill in the form?

Any EU doctor can fill in your form. Doesn’t have to be your own GP.

davedave:
Third question: do I need to get the medical form complete before I take the theory test?

Yes because you have to have a cat C provisional added before you can book it.

davedave:
Last question (I think): I’m planning on doing the rigid vehicle test, then straight after, the articulated vehicle test.

I did mine “straight after”, but you have to return your licence & pass certificate to the DVLA to have the full category C add to the licence before you can do the C+E.

To give you an idea of timescale, this is what it took me:
9th Oct - Medical done & posted to DVLA.
13th Oct - DVLA issues C+D provisional.
16th Oct - Received licence back.
19th Oct - Book theory test.
1st Nov - Take cat C theory test - Pass, booked cat C training.
2nd Nov - Take cat D theory test.
12th Nov - Start cat C training.
16th Nov - Take cat C test - Pass.
17th Nov - Send licence back to DVLA
26th Nov - Received licence back, wait until end of month for money.
30th Nov - Booked cat CE & D training.
8th Dec - Start cat D training.
13th Dec - Take cat C test - Pass.
15th Dec - Start cat CE training.
20th Dec - Take cat CE test - Pass - Send licence back to DVLA.
14th Jan - Licence finally arrives back.

So that was about 3 months beginning to end, never mind job hunting! There’s not a problem going for it straight away if you have deep pockets, but if you do leave it for a bit, don’t leave it too long either - costs and bad habits can mount up over time.

There you go, davedave. Two differing views and both are correct - YOU have to decide which would be BEST FOR YOU. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

A deciding factor may be this… you are unlikely to get an artic job for some time after just passing C & CE. The most probable out come is that you will do quite some time on C as you gain experience because employers are reluctant to give a newbie without general LGV experience a CE truck.

Thanks everyone. I think I’ll just do the C for now and see how it goes.

For something like a hiab, would I need anything additional (I mean if I gained a C, then went for a hiab job, would they train me to use it, or would I need to train for it elsewhere?)

Also, how hard would it be to find work if I did this?

davedave:
Thanks everyone. I think I’ll just do the C for now and see how it goes.

For something like a hiab, would I need anything additional (I mean if I gained a C, then went for a hiab job, would they train me to use it, or would I need to train for it elsewhere?)

Just to be clear, the HIAB needs a separate “ticket.”

IMHO, given your age and lack of LGV experience, it would be unusual for a firm to take you on and then train you on the HIAB. I think it more likely that the firm would want a driver with some proven experience. In your case, I’d say that if you pay for your own HIAB course, you’ll make yourself more employable. None of this is set in stone, and it’s not an exact science, because there are many exceptions to the norm. Be lucky mate. :wink: