Hello There

, Been lurking :open_mouth: :open_mouth: for a while.this is agreat site for information… my names Andrew, and I"m from S.Wales…I got my class 2 due to being a retained firefighter,it allows me to drive the appliance :sunglasses: …I am waiting to take an assesment drive for class 1 training. I would like a carreer move into driving.
Hopefully if I can pass my test, :astonished: it would give me the opportunity. Do you think I"m being realistic at 41 to try this, I have very little knowledge of tachos :blush: :blush: Although I read the posts on drivers hours,it seems to be very complicated ,I wanted to get into hgv driving when i was delivering repaired leaf springs for hgv"s, to transport yards around South Wales when i was 19,then the job finished like my dreams :cry: Any guidance greatly recieved… :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome to Trucknet Andrew,
I don’t think being 41 is going to be a problem, I know a former retained fireman who started driving trucks for a living after the factory he worked in closed down and I’m sure he was much older than 41. The main problem for drivers is under 25, but it’s really a question of going round haulage firms and asking for a job as there are companies who’ll take on new drivers of any age. Also the fire service training should also work to your advantage.

As for tachograph regulations, they arern’t as complicated as you think, (they even worse :laughing:) but don’t worry to much you’ll soon understand what you need to and you can always ask questions on trucknet. After all that’s what the Newbies forums for. :wink:

Andrew, you are of the ideal age and with prefect credentials, and I’d assume as an ex-fireman, confident and presentable. For you it should be a breeze… You’ll probably find your training school can get you a start.

I was 50 when I took up driving and have never looked back. From day one I went on permanent agency work, and within months the long haul, which is what I wanted.

Driving is very varied, try anything that might come your way initially to gain that first years experience. There is work in S.Wales, if not agency then knock doors, someone will give you a start if you’re determined I assure you. Find out what you want to do and focus on it. List of all the local hauliers that do the work you want and pay them a visit, then keep in touch. Ring around early Monday mornings, or even turn up, prepared…

I’d say do it, you shouldn’t have much problem…

Just for the record I was 53 when I passed both C and C+E. So I don’t think you shold have a problem. It was a big change to what I was used to. Saying you don’t mind starting work at three in the morning and doing it differ slightly. Well it wasn’t so much starting at that time that bothered me, it still bering there past six in the evening.

Welcome to TruckNet UK Andrew :smiley: .
Good luck with the class 1 assessment

Thanks for the welcome :smiley: , the positive comments and advice :smiley: . I hope to take my test by the end of May , if all my plans fall into place. :confused:
So I"ll keep you updated , and no doubt I"ll be back for more advice… :wink:

Hey Andrew,

Welcome to the site - I’m a newbie myself, but this site makes all feel very welcome.

Good luck with Class 1!

Darren.

Good Luck, as has been said! Just don’t rush round like you have Blues and Twos :smiley:

It may well play on your side being a ‘bit older’, as when you arrive at places for assessments drives or a day on the agency, they won’t be as likely to treat you as a ‘new kid’ and trust you a bit more.

Tachos - well get an hourGuard! absolutely invaluable, saved my bacon several times when I thought I’d had 45 mins break and looked at the display and I’d only had 39 or something silly!

It does give you a tremendous sense of pride passing the tests as they are so blimmin hard!