Hello there! Questions from a Merchant Seaman

Hello there truckers,

I currently work at sea onboard product tankers.I’m doing 2 months on 2 months off. I have always loved driving and all things logistics.

I had an idea but I am completely at a loss if it is even realistic, in my 2 months off I’d like to drive HGV’s. Not as a full time gig but have the option to pick and choose which trips/cargoes I do. I’m aware that I will of course need to get my various licences etc before driving which I’m more than happy to pay for if work is readily available as a part time driver. I emphasise the point this would not be by full time job, just moonlighting and filling in. I obviously do not own a truck, is that a problem? Or do various trips supply you with the truck?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

You should be able to get some work on your home periods. But not sure about the “picking and choosing”. If you have your own contacts then that might be possible. Otherwise, you’ll register with a couple of agencies and be expected to take what they offer. Of course you can refuse. But do it regularly and you’ll drop off their radar.

For your training, make sure you use a reputable trainer. The industry is rife with poor practice so only book once you’ve satisfied yourself and visited the trainer to get a look at the facilities (especially for reversing), trucks and trainers.

The other established way forward is to book on rock solid recommendation. This is where most of our customers come from. Consider residential which, in our case, is free of charge if you’re more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW

Any questions, just fire away.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply and the information, greatly appreciated! I’ve seen various websites and even apps for smart phones that display all manner of cargoes with their pick up and destination etc. From what I understand you pick a job from this list or bank and crack on? For me that would be ideal, when I’m on leave I sometimes have to go on training courses etc so I cannot be readily available all the time. Just trying to asses wether the trading would be a good investment.

HI ainsdcfc,
From a ex AB 1960s yes you could not make a better choice, However the job is not what it used to be when iwas doing it. if you have been reading all the books about the drivers from the 1970.80,90,European ,middle east,forget it all that has gone ,yes European is still going on but do not hold your breath.it is not a gig…it was hard work and no doubt still is if you work odd hour shifts or watches at sea transport is very similar ,forget 9 to 5…

The type of work you would probly get if you get your class1, -articulated.would be delivering to what they call hubs,supermarket depot type places,and from what I read not a lot of good work.

The image off trundling round exotic countries.crossing boarders,forigen food,forget it …if like you say you have 2 months leave on a permanat basisis .and you are practical in your approach to work, do a course for capentry,get the safety cards needed,that you need to get on big sites but there is money to made just doing odd jobing around houses, ,all depending where you live…and if you work with your hands, if your engineer, you would turn your hand to anything practicial.

To be honest I have no idea of the present road haulage But I would be guided by Peter Smythe sponsor of this thread I read most of what he says and it is always appreciated by his clients if you take the road route…
As you are a newish member the reading of all the threads is real,y intresting espiciaally the( old time lorries)which I my self write lots of probly un help full comments but it clears my mind…
As I talk a lot and I have written a lot about my self while driving ,not published however if you go back to the pages 44 is in the old time lorries posts you will find my driving history ,well not all under Deckboypeggy, not as peggydeckboy.
I am sure you will make the right choice by the way if I publish if it will ecalled The Merchant navy on wheels.

Assuming you don’t want to buy your own truck (that’d be an expensive shed for the two month periods while you’re at sea) you won’t be picking and choosing too much. Even owner-drivers need good paying work rather than cherry picking destinations. It’s a competitive business.
As a newly qualified driver, not looking for permament work it’ll likely be agency work for you. Some experienced drivers with contacts in the industry, and a good history can find work, but that doesn’t sound like you.
No reason not to give it a go of course, and you’ll get some variety and interesting times. But choosing loads and destinations? Nah.