Hello people

Just joined the forum after being a stalker on here for months. I’ve learned lots of info from you guys, thanks.

After being bored working as a mechanic/mot tester I wanted a change of direction so I took my class 2 in Feb followed by my class 1 straight afterwards both with Priestly in Holbeach Lincs. Total cost including a hiab course, theory, medical etc £3k. A fair investment and I know I’ll never get rich driving, but it was worth every penny. The best feeling in the world is driving along at the crack of dawn and watching the day slowly come alive.

The day I passed my test I got a job with an agency in Spalding which threw me in at the deep end, for 3 weeks I was working flat out maximum hours. I learned a lot very quickly and made loads of mistakes! A driving test does not prepare you for chasing impossible drop times in a fully laden artic, and driving an modern loaded auto is very different to an unladen manual training vehicle. The agency left me feeling a bit riped off, as the pay never lived up to promises, wages were often late going in bank, and promises were always broken. I now hate agencys, but it was valuable experience!

I did a bit of stand in work for a local firm in my village doing general hauage work but he only has class 2.
Now I’ve landed a proper job, at a local garden centre the pay isnt brilliant but I have to start at the bottom. But on the plus side its a decent smart truck (55 MAN) its local work between branches for 2 days then 3 days away on a long multi drop every week.

Good to hear you are enjoying your driving and got some work quickly after passing your test :slight_smile: Oh and welcome aboard mate :laughing:

triple-tango:
Just joined the forum after being a stalker on here for months. I’ve learned lots of info from you guys, thanks.

After being bored working as a mechanic/mot tester I wanted a change of direction so I took my class 2 in Feb followed by my class 1 straight afterwards both with Priestly in Holbeach Lincs. Total cost including a hiab course, theory, medical etc £3k. A fair investment and I know I’ll never get rich driving, but it was worth every penny. The best feeling in the world is driving along at the crack of dawn and watching the day slowly come alive.

The day I passed my test I got a job with an agency in Spalding which threw me in at the deep end, for 3 weeks I was working flat out maximum hours. I learned a lot very quickly and made loads of mistakes! A driving test does not prepare you for chasing impossible drop times in a fully laden artic, and driving an modern loaded auto is very different to an unladen manual training vehicle. The agency left me feeling a bit riped off, as the pay never lived up to promises, wages were often late going in bank, and promises were always broken. I now hate agencys, but it was valuable experience!

I did a bit of stand in work for a local firm in my village doing general hauage work but he only has class 2.
Now I’ve landed a proper job, at a local garden centre the pay isnt brilliant but I have to start at the bottom. But on the plus side its a decent smart truck (55 MAN) its local work between branches for 2 days then 3 days away on a long multi drop every week.

If you want to enjoy this job and keep your licence/avoid killing someone, you need to nip this in the bud right now. It’s not worth it and if it goes ■■■■ up the gaffer will deny all knowledge of asking you to get a wiggle on. I’m not suggesting for a moment you hang the job out. I’m saying you should comply with the law.

Dont worry, I never made any of the times, I was late everytime :laughing: . It was only the agency jobs that tried to put the pressure on.
I soon laughed at the hypocracy of being told to get there asap then having to wait to be tipped!