Hello from a newly qualified driver and plea for advice

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for several months now and found the database of advice invaluable as I start my career.

My story so far is fairly typically others, I’m a mature new driver, only 46 but you have to accept you’re not a youngster at some point. I have been driving professionally for many years, although only 7.5t and vans until this summer. I passed my cat c and c+e in rapid succession and am now working agency’s to get experience. In the 3 months ofmpractical experience so far I’ve driven my share of good and bad trucks, my favourite so far is the Mercedes actros, least favourite is the Renaults.

I have a problem with the truck I drove today and would be grateful for your advice. The unit is a 57 plate MAN with 800,000 km’s on the clock. Today I was sent out on a delivery with an old trailer, previously I’ve been advised about incompatibilities between abs modules on older trailers and wasn’t surprised to see an abs warning light. I swapped trailers and then this is where things got worse, the abs fault remained, even though the trailer is only a couple of years old. The trailer was substantially heavier than the first and after only a couple of miles a red ‘stop’ indication appeared on the dashboard. I phoned the workshop and was told the code referred to worn injectors, which were scheduled for replacement, the mechanic explained that to much fuel was being reported to the ecu in the return pipe, this made the code appear. I was told it was safe to continue and I did so.

Less than a mile later I encountered a slight hill, and immediately noticed a severe lots of power and one again the ‘stop’ fault code came up and I pulled over and phoned it in. I explained the issue once again and pointed out the combination of symptoms. I also pointed out other error codes that had started to appear, these were, ‘trailer park brake’, ’ no ride height data’, abs truck and trailer, and finally the exhaust emissions waring symbol was flashing constantly. Again I was told that it was safe to continue and I carried on to my drop point. With an empty trailer, the ‘stop’ warning ceased to come up, however the abs and emissions warning remained. I dropped the trailer of at another yard and returned to Base tractor unit only. The emissions and abs warnings continued.

When I got back to the yard I was told that I would be taking the unit to the workshop (15 miles away) tomorrow, they would plug it into the computer and see the detail of the problem. The worrying part is that the transport manager also told me about the first jobs on my sheet for the morning and I got a distinct feeling that regardless of what the computer said, that truck was going to be working the following day.

My question is should I drive it? Even to the workshop? I’m pretty sure if I refuse I’ll be sent home, but are the faults bad enough for me to kick up a fuss? The agency have been supportive when I spoke to them.

Any opinions welcome,

Steve

If its throwing up faults like that it could be an electrical fault but I would go with your gut feeling. I had a 08 plate MAN rigid give me a critical brake error whilst doing 50MPH down the A46. Just say to them that its something you want looking into before you start work. If they say no then stick to your guns. Its your license, you decide if you want to risk it.

Hi radar19,

Thanks for replying, I bet the brake error code sharpened the senses!

I think if it wasn’t for the threat of a tug by vosa, I wouldn’t worry about it, i was able to control the vehicle, although I didn’t need to brake hard. The loss of power is probably the biggest concern as a critical problem. I really felt that I wasn’t going to make it up that hill before the whole thing ground to a halt amidst a plume of black smoke. I am quite concerned that if vosa do pull me, I would be had up for driving a known faulty vehicle.

Hiya
Personally wouldn’t have gone any further the first time a red warning came up got a garage bod out to look its ok being told to carry on dont worry till one of the red warnings are real and you hit someone.
Yes agency work can can be a pain in the ■■■ but its easier to find other agency work if you dont have to trll them “I left my last agency coz I ignored a red warning symbol on the dash and hit someone”.

Jeff.

Nope. I’d politely refuse to drive it if it’s potentially dangerous, and if my boss insisted I’d rather chance my arm finding a decent, professional company than work for somebody who obviously doesn’t give a flying **** about their vehicles or workers. Just my opinion :slight_smile:

Hi all, I thought I would post an update, I decided to refuse to drive it this morning after sleeping on it overnight. The transport manager didn’t bat an eyelid, he just gave me another truck. Phew! I was dreading being sent home.

I spoke to my agency to update them and they said that it was quite possible they client was testing me to see what I would put up with. Now they know I guess.

Good on you for standing your ground - it’s our license / job / health / life on the line every time we go out, and we have every right to protect ourselves :slight_smile: Glad you got it sorted!

Cheers face, yeah I was relieved, it would be terrible to have started making a list of companies that won’t have me in after only 3 months as a class 1 driver.

Face:
Good on you for standing your ground - it’s our license / job / health / life on the line every time we go out, and we have every right to protect ourselves :slight_smile: Glad you got it sorted!

My CPC guy is actually very experienced HGV driver and pointed out VOSA’s publication of all the fines that a DRIVER is now liable for. Some of them I was really amazed at to find out the driver would be liable for, as we are predominantly drivers, some are savvy on the mechanical side, I personally have never been interested in the mechanical side of what I drove. Why are drivers being made responsible for what can’t be established in the daily check anyway, especially the 2 minute daily check that an officer mentions it would take normally. No way all those things could be checked even in 15 minutes IMHO. I don’t have an HGV licence yet, but I don’t see myself being able to work for a company that encourages/forces drivers to take a faulty vehicle on the road.

falconsteve:
Cheers face, yeah I was relieved, it would be terrible to have started making a list of companies that won’t have me in after only 3 months as a class 1 driver.

Should be the other way round the agency should have a list of companies whos trucks arent roadworthy
Good on you for standing your ground aswell.