Hello and nervous

Hello all this is my first post as im a newbie here so will do the norm. My name is rich from southampton, im 25, had my class 1 since mar 2012 and starting my first hgv driving job on monday for a major container company. Im very nervous about the whole thing as it has taken me a long time and alot of interviews to get this.
I have the companys driving instructor with me for the first 3 days to just “observe” but still nervous. Cheers rich

I would have thought that observing would only be part of it - he’ll have to show you how the ports work etc.

Anyway best of luck.

Thanks for the reply, i will have to learn all the port procedures again as the last time i went to any ports i would have to sit in the security office and wait for my dad lol. ?Cheers rich :slight_smile:

I assume they know you don’t have any experience as a hgv driver and you’ve got a trainer with you, so you have a great opportunity to listen and learn. A bit of nerves I’d good, it means you’re not a cocky know it all who’ll be untrainable.

Who have you got a start with?

Good luck.

rich_giles:
Hello all this is my first post as im a newbie here so will do the norm. My name is rich from southampton, im 25, had my class 1 since mar 2012 and starting my first hgv driving job on monday for a major container company. Im very nervous about the whole thing as it has taken me a long time and alot of interviews to get this.
I have the companys driving instructor with me for the first 3 days to just “observe” but still nervous. Cheers rich

Congratulations on finding work and welcome to TNUK.

£10 says you went out and got a job rather than waiting for a job to come to you like the rest of the moaners on here?

Well done and good luck.

PS. It’s a piece of ■■■■, a monkey could do it. Just relax and take your time.

I hope this helps.

rich_giles:

The driving instructor is not there to test you on how your driving. You have to think “My driving must of been good enough for them to take me on”, assumeing you had a driving assesment. Use the bloke for advice and tips on your driving.

I was out with a driver whose route i was learning who states he had 30 years driving behind him and he was 65 years old. I said let me drive and once i was driving i informed him that it is my first week behind the wheel since i past in Oct 2011. He was shocked and worried by this but i turned and said to him, “Advise me of anything to do with my driving and any tips you have as i was like you when you first started out” All day he gave me tips and pointers, some tips that wasn’t shown to me when i was learning.

Have fun in the new job and take the day easy and don’t rush the truck as it won’t like you doing that. Good luck

Hi and welcome to one of the largest sites of wierdo’s misfits degenerates and nutters !!!

Hopefully you will fit right in…

Madguy :smiling_imp:

Dam you Madguy. I missed my meeting with the doctor

Hi & welcome :smiley: good for you getting out there & doing containers rich, anything you’re not sure of …ASK !! It sounds like they are gently showing you ‘the ropes’, which is in your favour, Good luck :smiley: :smiley:

Goodluck to you in your new chosen profession after nigh on 40 yrs in the game the best advice i can give you is never be afraid to ASK no matter how daft it sounds, we dont all bite ( some of them might give you a nasty ■■■■ ) and as long as your not an arse you,ll be ok. when i started an old boy i worked with used to say There are drivers and screwdrivers the day you think your agood driver is the day you drop a bollock and you,ll end up hurt or dead. From my point im still learning and still driving all the best and nil illegitmus carborundum ( dont let the ■■■■■■■■ grind you down, rough translation).

The hardest bit will be the port ‘etiquette’, and I imagine that is why they are sending someone with you. It’s much easier if you have someone that knows the ropes.

The ports are all different, some you need a Rhides card for such as Felixstowe and Thamesport, but they will steer you in the right direction and organise this for you.

Once you’ve been in the ports a couple of times, you’ll be laughing, 'cos it ain’t hard, just a bit daunting until you learn your way around.

I enjoy boxes, hope you do too…good luck… :wink:

PS Don’t forget the twistlocksDon’t forget the Don’t forget the twistlocksDon’t forget the twistlocks!!! :laughing:

madguy:
Hi and welcome to one of the largest sites of wierdo’s misfits degenerates and nutters !!!

Hopefully you will fit right in…

Madguy :smiling_imp:

Yeah, welcome to the TNUK Hotel, You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. :laughing:

Hello all and thanks for all your positive words and suggestions. I had my first week with Roadways last week and i can say despite the longer hours and lower pay i love it and its what i always wanted since i was a youngster.
The first 3 days with the assessor went well although there was a few coming togethers espically on how much i should be using the “go” pedal lol.
I have my own truck now as of last thursday which is a 55 plate scania R series. Its basic, old and been abused by many different drivers overs it life, as its one of the older vehicles now at my place.
But while tipping at poundland on thursday i spent 3 hours cleaning the inside to make it habitable and started doin some of the faults on it ( as im a scania trained mechanic).
Today was my first “long day” (13-3/4 hours) and i did go a little bit wayward but made it to my destinations on time so im ok with it.
As for getting my job, i knew i had alot against me as im 25 and only had my licence since march but i just emailed all the road transport companies in my area every week and eventually i got 2 positive replies, which was Goldstar and Roadways.
ALthough goldstar paid moreon paper it was limited hours and evening work, so i took Roadways as it was alot more interesting and better suited to me.

Thanks again for all your words of support. Rich

When i was looking for job roadways told me they needed two years exp.

Must of been right place right time…

Good luck bud im waiting till my nippers a bit older till i go tramping.

Dan

They have a depot not far from me at Trafford Park. I’m keeping them on my list for when I get my class 1 license :grimacing: