hella power sockets

daleyboy:
Buy yourself a multimeter. They are currently on sale at maplins for six quid. Here’s a link

mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37279

You can get the same 1 on eBay for £0.99 (delivered) as sold by our chinese friends in Honkers

peirre:

daleyboy:
Buy yourself a multimeter. They are currently on sale at maplins for six quid. Here’s a link

You can get the same 1 on eBay for £0.99 (delivered) as sold by our chinese friends in Honkers

Bloody rate cutters !

Hey all,

Got my first job, just started doing some nights out and been using the cigarette lighter to charge my sat nav and phone charger. Want to take maybe my small portable dvd player and maybe a small in car kettle with me. I noticed the extra 2 power sockets in my scania one 12v and one 24v, looked online and noticed on here called hella power points.

What are they for? is it a more reliable power source than just using the cigarette lighter? why is it a different fitting than a normal cigarette lighter fitting? I am going to go to maplins tomorrow and get some adapters and multi sockets for the hella sockets but was just after some info on it and if i was better using the hella sockets.

cheers in advance

I’ve moved this so more people will see it :wink:

Hella’s are usually able to take more ampage than a ciggy plug.

eg. I have a 24v electric oven. In the Scania (using Hella’s) I ran it for 3 months without a problem

In the Daf (using ciggy) it would melt the plug at least once or twice a week

You can buy ‘converters’ on ebay dead cheap for the Scanny sockets. I use the 12v for my phone and the 24v for my kettle and sat nav. These are Cigarette type plugs, but I’ve got a adaptor/converter thingy on each. I don’t know if I’ll be driving a Scanny or Volvo so this way I’m ready either way.

Semtex:
Hella’s are usually able to take more ampage than a ciggy plug.

eg. I have a 24v electric oven. In the Scania (using Hella’s) I ran it for 3 months without a problem

In the Daf (using ciggy) it would melt the plug at least once or twice a week

I had heard that these so called ovens were crap but didn’t realise they were that bad that they took 3 months to warm a pie up :exclamation:

Make sure you use a genuine Hella plug - these are not the same as the cheap plugs you get from truckstops etc
best place is any Hella stickist - they are around £5 each but are made of better quality materials and won’t get hot or melt
they also fit the sockets better
regards
Steve

gm:
Make sure you use a genuine Hella plug - these are not the same as the cheap plugs you get from truckstops etc
best place is any Hella stickist - they are around £5 each but are made of better quality materials and won’t get hot or melt
they also fit the sockets better
regards
Steve

i HAVE HAD 3 IN THE LAST 5 MONTHS AND THERE MELT OR JUST PACK UP SO DEFF MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD QUALITY ONE

Test the voltage first, because they are permanent live, many fitters nick the 12v for cab phones, and I had a 4 series that had a 24v source put in its place. Not good for your halfords fridge!

just mind if you have a fridge or kettle you plug it in the right socket :laughing:
On record my dads blown out
3 Kettles
2 Fridges :laughing: Woops :grimacing:

How can you check the the output and wether its 12 or 24 volt just taken a new truck over and the guy has fited sockets that are 12 volt off the battery but not sure about the dash sockets

bjd:
How can you check the the output and wether its 12 or 24 volt just taken a new truck over and the guy has fited sockets that are 12 volt off the battery but not sure about the dash sockets

Then you can check all your sockets before you plug anything in.