Heavy Haulage

A couple of questions, I saw a couple of A.L.E trucks today Fauns i think?, and wondered if they have to abide by tacho rules? And also while the trucks are huge, the cabs aren’t particularly big, so at the end of the shift do they jump in the ■■■■■■ vehicle and go to a hotel. I can’t imagine they would kip in them cabs.

yes they jump.in ■■■■■■ van to hotel pretty much like mobile crane drivers .

still have to stick to tach regs but a little more tolerence is given due to nature of the game .

I know a few heavy lads they all stay in their cab, some ■■■■■■ vehicles have beds in the back to and kitchenette type things at the back of the vehicle(told this from the heavy lads mouth). They work to the same regs and try not to go over unless it can’t be helped it’s the same as any other job.

most of the a.l.e driver stay in hotels.ive done work for them with the firm i work for.they drive as far as they can in the day then stay in hotels.saw their big rigs in the big layby of friday morning ready for the trip up north by the looks of things this weekend.did a load for them last bank holiday down to lowestoft.6 of us run the mobule units down there for them as they was transferring a accomdation block from dock side to a barge ready to be shipped out to a gas rig.

How do you get into heavy haulage. I’ve bin looking into this for some time now and I always well some times get told that you have to have bin driven ex amount of years is this ture

I’d love to do proper heavy haulage (like the massive power transformers)
I imagine the only way in is to start at the bottom and work up. It doesn’t seem a job you can just walk into.

Best way is to give them a ring, and see what the protocol is, wether you have to start in an ■■■■■■ van or as 2nd man it’s a good way to learn ?

Most I know were mates, natural progression. It’s definately a different style of life to a normal tramper. Sitting around for a day or days on jobs having to share a cab a lot of the time. There are some who work their way up, pulling 70-100 foot vehicles can be arse twitchy I’ve ran 18.3 metre loads and been a mate on a 30 metre load was thinking wtf when we strapped it down :laughing:
Hopefully be me one day.

Ran up from by Tulsa Oklahoma with this cooler the other week not heavy but 16’8" high 12’ wide and 2 pilot cars. The height was a problem because most interstate bridge heights over here are around the 15’ mark and some states don’t post bridge heights so was the equivalent of A roads all the way back to Canada. Pilot car drivers stayed in hotels.

taffytrucker:

Ran up from by Tulsa Oklahoma with this cooler the other week not heavy but 16’8" high 12’ wide and 2 pilot cars. The height was a problem because most interstate bridge heights over here are around the 15’ mark and some states don’t post bridge heights so was the equivalent of A roads all the way back to Canada. Pilot car drivers stayed in hotels.

Show off!
Looks good, would a go in that unit :laughing:

Lol Peterbilt n DAF are part of the PACCAR group so not much difference apart the Eton Fuller box and a bonnet lol

taffytrucker:
Lol Peterbilt n DAF are part of the PACCAR group so not much difference apart the Eton Fuller box and a bonnet lol

And maybe a little extra space around the bunk! :sunglasses:

MrBigmouth:

taffytrucker:

And maybe a little extra space around the bunk! :sunglasses:

Yea a full size single bed and bout 18" floor space and 2 wardrobes.