Heavy Haulage

Please can you tell me of any experiences with 4 axle all steering low loader trailer,good or bad?.Which make is the best ,and any pit falls to watch out for. Thanks for reading and any replies.
Cheers Matt.

Matt,

I will ask the question to a few of the boys at our yard for you tomoz, as I only drive a rigid I cant comment…
Will post the replies for you in couple of days, after I return from a little jaunt around our green and pleasant land… :wink: :wink:

Controlled steeered or trailing axles? they are very different, but as a short guideline, dominate the road, if you need to turn and there is two lanes, straddle them and deny other road users the opportunity to take space you might need. controlled steer will “kick out” as you turn and use the other lanes anyway.

the only way I have found that really works with over length/over width combinations is to get the mindset that you DO own the road take waht you need to manoevere and more. if some one does something stupid just stop and let them sort it out.

Dont worry about stopping and checking routes, the delay while you check if you can get round, is far less than if you try and get stuck.

If your trailer is controled steered dont try to look cool and struggle to get round somewhere, get your steersman to earn his wages and plug in the wander lead.

One other tip for any STGO… slow is good very good.sod traffic and impatient people stop look and evaluate and explain to your steersman exactly what you want to do, on a good firm hopefully you will get a decent exoerienced steersman who has probably done more loads similar than you… take their advice every single time

BTW best trailers
Nooteboom, Broshuis, Faymonville all are similar

BTW the expert is JJ72 who I am sure will be along shortly, the guy knows what he is talking about…

The bigger the load the bigger nobhead car drivers you have to deal with.

Running with an 11’ wide load this week straddling both lanes on approach to a roundabout, there was a stream of cars trying to squeeze through.

nooteboom are a good bit of kit but take time and space as car drivers cant read wide load boards and dont even know what becons are for. just let your driving flow and your be fine

Rikki-UK:
Controlled steeered or trailing axles? they are very different, but as a short guideline, dominate the road, if you need to turn and there is two lanes, straddle them and deny other road users the opportunity to take space you might need. controlled steer will “kick out” as you turn and use the other lanes anyway.

Too true, last time I saw one of these it was sat on TOP of a car at Tankersley services.

Rikki-UK:
BTW the expert is JJ72 who I am sure will be along shortly, the guy knows what he is talking about…

how flattering :blush: but i’m not really sure what he wanted to know - and you’re still probably better qualified on the actual driving aspects than me?

Not me mate … I’m crap i distincly remember you telling so after i failed to get to Hengelo in one shift from Avonmouth :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just kidding mate, :wink:

driving side yes but you have probaly a lot more experience in speccing trailers and he did ask which are the better

I stick by

1. Nooteboom
    2.Broshuis
    3 Faymonville
  2. the rest

but Nooteboom and Broshuis both come at a price premium

I havent really looked closely at Andover since Goldhofer became heavily involved with them, I suspect they have improved a lot.