"Heavy Haulage through the years"

heavy_haulage-Pacific-20180414-martinuz41.jpg

heavy_haulage-Rotek-20180306-martinuz41.jpg

heavy_haulage-Sarens-20180304-martinuz41.jpg

Courtesy of martinuz41: instagram.com/martinuz41/

Wynns Diamond T and Pacific heavy trucks. An informative video - excellent for geezers like me.

Scammell Heavy Haulage 1952 BTF Abnormal Load E W Rudd / BRS. Told with British humour.

jsutherland:
Scammell Heavy Haulage 1952 BTF Abnormal Load E W Rudd / BRS. Told with British humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-3Kdt7J7s

Top stuff Johnny Deanb s got some competition now
Dig

DIG:

jsutherland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-3Kdt7J7s

Top stuff Johnny Deanb s got some competition now
Dig

Thanks DIG, but I’m a right amateur compared to him. Goodness knows how many shoe boxes he must have :smiley:

Pickfords Heavy Haulage on the East Lancashire Road at Carr Mill.

Pictured parked on the A580 East Lancashire Road heading East towards Manchester in December 1956 is a Scammell road train operated by Pickford Heavy Haulage Services hauling a 130 ton electrical transformer.

Manufactured by C.A.Parsons & Co Ltd of Newcastle upon Tyne the transformer was destined for Ferrybridge power station in West Yorkshire, a distance of only 100 only miles South of Newcastle.

Because of the poor road network and weak road bridges in 1957 it was impossible to deliver the load by a reasonably direct road route instead it had to be sent on a ridiculous circuitous route to Newcastle Docks, transferred to a ship, taken by sea around the top of Scotland to Liverpool and then by road via Manchester, Oldham, Huddersfield and Leeds a total journey of some 900 miles.

You have to remember at the time there was no Motorway network as we know it today and it is difficult to imagine a more damning indictment of the British road system as it was back then in the late 50’s early 60’s

For the Liverpool to Ferrybridge run the total train weight with the tractors was 250 tons with Pickfords using their latest Scammell Constructor six-wheel-drive heavy duty tractors, one hauling the other two pushing.

Scammell S24 operated by the CEGB unloading nuclear flask at Berkeley rail head Gloucestershire.
Berkeley was the first commercial nuclear power station in the United Kingdom to be decommissioned following its closure in 1989.

Foden S81 Reg No RYM 647R, operated by Nuclear Electric, pictured at Dungeness in 1977 during the transfer of a nuclear flask from road to rail.

The French company of Cauvas have been in business for over 50 years. Cauvas website

A couple for the Whippersnapper, where ever he is in hiding, Fergie can you check the back of your settee and in the woodshed!

moomooland:
The French company of Cauvas have been in business for over 50 years. Cauvas website

That Cauvas ERF NGC ‘European’ started life as a 4x2 unit :wink: Robert

I didn’t realise till I read some earlier posts that Heanor Haulage was no more. Did they go bust, taken over or did Searson(?) decide to retire and sell the whole lot off.

Way back before I worked the abnormals for Econofreight I went down there to get a job. Big Neil, who was pretty senior there I think, and who I had known before, perhaps at Ilkeston Haulage, took me for a driving test in an Atki with a 40 foot trailer with long bars aboard. According to Neil I passed with flying colours but heard no more. Perhaps I wasn’t pushy enough to go back down and ask again. Small things like that often change the future, I have many times just been in the right place at the right time. But not at Heanor. :frowning:

Spardo:
I didn’t realise till I read some earlier posts that Heanor Haulage was no more. Did they go bust, taken over or did Searson(?) decide to retire and sell the whole lot off.

Way back before I worked the abnormals for Econofreight I went down there to get a job. Big Neil, who was pretty senior there I think, and who I had known before, perhaps at Ilkeston Haulage, took me for a driving test in an Atki with a 40 foot trailer with long bars aboard. According to Neil I passed with flying colours but heard no more. Perhaps I wasn’t pushy enough to go back down and ask again. Small things like that often change the future, I have many times just been in the right place at the right time. But not at Heanor. :frowning:

Sold up to concentrate on warehousing Spardo,

pete smith:

Spardo:

Thanks Pete, must have been where the money was, but when I went down into that yard, didn’t see more than a few sheds. :unamused: :laughing:

Set me thinking though, with so many of the old names disappearing, Econofreight, Wynns, Sunters, Wrekin etc., what was the problem? Was it a race to the bottom, rate wise?

Pickfords Scammell Handyman seen here making it’s way through Bournemouth town centre.

These with thanks to Peter Schöler.
Oily

Heavy Haul PS 15686852486_76e924a0d1_o.jpg

Heavy Haul PS 15524192292_4f3e3901f6_o.jpg

Heavy Haul PS 15506639495_86703f4eaf_o.jpg

Cheers Spardo and DIG for putting on memories from a time that almost seems medieval, no need to worry about hijacking the thread, it’s a most interesting read :wink: ta lads!

Spardo:

pete smith:

Spardo:

Thanks Pete, must have been where the money was, but when I went down into that yard, didn’t see more than a few sheds. :unamused: :laughing:

Set me thinking though, with so many of the old names disappearing, Econofreight, Wynns, Sunters, Wrekin etc., what was the problem? Was it a race to the bottom, rate wise?

Aye, warehousing, that’s where the money is these days, seen it myself when I was on for v.d. Vlist, the haulage side of things seems to be a nuisance for the suits like…

As for Heanor putting and end to the haulage side, that was a decision that didn’t came easy to Mr Searson I can only imagine, but with so much “newbies” in the heavy haulage sector, running at discount prices, I reckon it was the only good decision to make before it all went belly up like.

And as for the “newbies”, I personally don’t know what to think of it all, they all seem to buy top specced motors (Volvo FH750 seems the one to get…) and doing the odd job here and there for tuppence… how’s that going to do them favours in the long end? But I might be wrong… as usual :wink:

SteveOR:
Back in the late 70’s I worked at Kaelble for about one year with a handful of other Brits helping to build the KDVW 400/500 S. It was an experience that motivated my decision to continue in that branch for a further twenty years in Germany, sadly Kaelble building the KDVW 400/500 S for the Libyan army had consequences that later led to their downfall.
I’ve attached a photo of the KDVW 500 S before being delivered to Libya.

Cheers for posting mate, very interesting indeed!

jsutherland:

DEANB:
Talking of things for sale Patrick,theres a tidy looking ex army recovery Crusader for sale on ebay,think
it was 6,500 ! [emoji38] :wink:

Don’t tell him that Dean. He’ll be selling his tent and bike to buy it!! [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Mate, I would sell the Mrs and me left bollock if that was what it takes! Right, I’ll get me coat…