"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Good to see all you blokes haven’t been slacking while me and the cook have been wandering around Aus,all top stuff and will keep me busy for a while.
I have a few photos we took while travelling across the Nullarbor plains probably not real HH stuff but some are heavy by European standards,its called the paddock by the blokes who do it on a weekly basis,I didn’t do it to often myself and found it a tough stretch of road but there were men who said the same about the roads I frequently travelled, each to his own.

Cheers Dig

Wynn’s Pacific 6x6 heavy duty prime mover Reg No GDW 277 ‘Dreadnought’ seen here pulling out of the Ferranti factory at Hollinwood near Oldham while hauling one of the many transformers they transported out of there over the years.

The same load now pictured in Oldham town centre turning left onto Union Steet and then heading East on the old A62 over the Pennines into Yorkshire.

Wynn’s Pacific’s were originally built between 1942 and 1945 by the Pacific Car & Foundry Company of Renton Washington who supplied many heavy six wheel drive armoured tractor units to the US Army for tank recovery with many of them later being sold on after the war and employed on civilian heavy haulage operations.

One such company to take advantage of these surplus WW2 vehicles was Robert Wynn & Sons Ltd of Newport South Wales who became renowned for their six superbly converted examples.

All six were registered for UK road use and were given the following names…
‘Challenger’ (Reg No YDW 356)
‘Conqueror’(Reg No HDW 122)
‘Dreadnought’ (Reg No GDW 277)
‘Enterprise’(Reg No ADW 228B)
‘Helpmate’ (Reg No GDW 585)
‘Valiant’ (Reg No 1570 DW)

Powered by ■■■■■■■ NHRS6B six cylinder in line supercharged diesel 250 bhp engines Wynn’s designed and built the crew-cabs and ballast boxes themselves.

pv83:
Must have missed that one Froggy, can’t remember seeing it in the Saterday…

Sorry, but I was wrong! The truck I was thinking about was a Kaelble, THE other German heavy haulage spécialsit!

Did anyone come across a company called Fallon haulage from leeds , they used to move a lot of heavy machinery back in the 70’s and 80’s . They had a yard on Whitehall road they also had a place beside A1’s trailer park at birstall

Alleys move from Dover docks to Sellindge converter station a while back, plenty more if interest shown

DSCF0209.JPG

DSCF0208.JPG

DSCF0202.JPG

DSCF0200.JPG

Old time heavy haulage the two upfront suspects are probably Burrells

Some more from Israel. A big problem which one had to overcome over there was the transport of boats from the Med to the Red Sea - remember that for many years the Suez canal was either inaccessible or blocked, so sights like the below were not uncommon. It was a nerve wracking trip, what with having to traverse the descent to the Dead Sea plains which was a narrow and winding road back then without any run-out areas whatever - a mistake usually had dire consequences. Macks and Autocars had this class for themselves until the Leyland Contractor became available in 64.

Oh, for those who wonder about the naming of Scammells and Albions as Leylands, this had to do with avoiding being black-listed by the Arabs for selling to Israel. So Scammells were to be sold in Arab countries, Leylands in Israel…

les freathy:
Old time heavy haulage the two upfront suspects are probably Burrells

Thats a nice old pic Les, the power of steam ! :wink:

Lots of good photos still be posted by everyone which is good to see !

Heres one from 1987 that might intrest Chris Arbon.

Click on pages twice to read.

Well some great pics you put on here! Thanks :smiley:
Here is one i did last week,not so heavy (18400kg) but it sure was big 10m long and 3.9m wide and just under 4.5m loaded. But biggest problem was that it was 2.54m between the back wheels so it was good to have the hydralic adjusters :sunglasses:
Tomorrow im of to Norway to pic up my new trailer so tomorrow its a goooood day :smiley:

Danne

FAO DeanB

Three purchased 1988-89 for GEC Stafford. ALE provided the staff and operated them. ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ engine/transmission.

Then went to GEC-Alsthom, which then became Alstom who operated them themselves.

ALE then bought-out Alstom Distribution Services Division in 2004-ish and the trucks were operated by ALE again, still in Alstom colours but with ALE stickers. Eventually they got painted into ALE colours and then got sent to South Africa.

Dirty Dan:
Here is one i did last week,not so heavy (18400kg) but it sure was big 10m long and 3.9m wide and just under 4.5m loaded. But biggest problem was that it was 2.54m between the back wheels so it was good to have the hydralic adjusters :sunglasses:
Tomorrow im of to Norway to pic up my new trailer so tomorrow its a goooood day :smiley:

Danne

What do you use this kind of harvesting machine for in Sweden? Corn?

Froggy55:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

What do you use this kind of harvesting machine for in Sweden? Corn?

Hi froggy! Its used for al sorts of grain(right word?). The thing you put in front of it was 35" wide and it was sent earlyer on other truck. Right word for it??

Danne

Images of German heavy haulage

img266.jpg

img263.jpg

img262.jpg

Froggy55:

pv83:
Must have missed that one Froggy, can’t remember seeing it in the Saterday…

Sorry, but I was wrong! The truck I was thinking about was a Kaelble, THE other German heavy haulage spécialsit!

Must be this one then Paul :wink:

20170610_091033.jpg

20170610_091128.jpg

moomooland:
1Wynn’s Pacific 6x6 heavy duty prime mover Reg No GDW 277 ‘Dreadnought’ seen here pulling out of the Ferranti factory at Hollinwood near Oldham while hauling one of the many transformers they transported out of there over the years.
0The same load now pictured in Oldham town centre turning left onto Union Steet and then heading East on the old A62 over the Pennines into Yorkshire.

Wynn’s Pacific’s were originally built between 1942 and 1945 by the Pacific Car & Foundry Company of Renton Washington who supplied many heavy six wheel drive armoured tractor units to the US Army for tank recovery with many of them later being sold on after the war and employed on civilian heavy haulage operations.

One such company to take advantage of these surplus WW2 vehicles was Robert Wynn & Sons Ltd of Newport South Wales who became renowned for their six superbly converted examples.

All six were registered for UK road use and were given the following names…
‘Challenger’ (Reg No YDW 356)
‘Conqueror’(Reg No HDW 122)
‘Dreadnought’ (Reg No GDW 277)
‘Enterprise’(Reg No ADW 228B)
‘Helpmate’ (Reg No GDW 585)
‘Valiant’ (Reg No 1570 DW)