"Heavy Haulage through the years"

David Miller:
A nice picture.

I was strolling one day through the Hyundai shipyard in Korea and came upon this sad sight. The steerer in charge of this multi wheel mover had been tasked to move this brand new ships engine from the engine shed to the building ways and had got a bit too enthusiastic at steering wheel twiddling and dumped the lot.
The engine was the top half of a MAN B&W 6 cylinder that would weigh somewhere between 5 and 600 tons so it tends to disprove the old lags tale “No need to strap it down laddie, its too heavy to move”

David

Bloody hell mate, now that’s a proper “oh bugger” moment…

Fortunately they had some proper kit, Scheurle build, so clearly the driver’s to blame…

Edward Beck Scammell 4x2 tractor unit Reg No GXC 466 makes it’s way slowly down the A56 Deansgate in the centre of Manchester in 1956 while heading a convoy of wide loads.

The Scammell is in the livery of Contractors (Transport) Ltd, which was one of Edward Beck’s originally owned companies.

moomooland:
0Edward Beck Scammell 4x2 tractor unit Reg No GXC 466 makes it’s way slowly down the A56 Deansgate in the centre of Manchester in 1956 while heading a convoy of wide loads.

The Scammell is in the livery of Contractors (Transport) Ltd, which was one of Edward Beck’s originally owned companies.

Great photo “moomooland” The Scammell looks very good , It was new in 1943, Possibley an ex Pickfords as its a London Reg, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Great photo “moomooland” The Scammell looks very good , It was new in 1943, Possibley an ex Pickfords as its a London Reg, Regards Larry.

Thanks for that Larry.

Here’s another shot taken at the same time.

I’ve noticed a change in the way that turbine blades are carried. They used to be loaded “On Edge”; now they seem to be “Laying Flat.” Anybody got any ideas of the reasoning behind the change?

pv83:

DEANB:

jshepguis:
A Sunday treat for DeanB couple of photo’s of Magnaloads two F89’s at work.

Top man,always nice to see some quality on here ! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Oi Dean! Enough with that Volvo muck alright! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Scammell’s, that’s what we need! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Here’s another one, snapped by Pete Smith at the Welland show.

About time you put a good pic on here chap !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

A mixed selection.

hh238.jpg

Patrick, Keep an eye out for this one chap, used to pull train carriges !!

erfred.PNG

These courtesy of Lawrence Rogers, posted before but not on this thread.
Oily

Heavy Haul Len Rogers 5760979599_eb8a0cbf03lr_o.jpg

Heavy Haul Len Rogers 5726556154_ec8b20c5bb_lro.jpg

A mixed selection.

hh249.jpg

hh251.jpg

hh252.jpg

This was posted here earlier - it’s a Mack DM800 assembled by Mack Ashdod and owned by Solel Boneh (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solel_Boneh), one of Israel’s largest construction companies. It belonged to the Haifa branch’s Special Operations Department and driven by Zach Gutmann and Aaron Snyr. It had (like most civilian Israeli DM800s) a ■■■■■■■ 350. Info via Ronnie Sharon and Aviram Sternfeld.

Before the Macks Ashdod assembled Leylands, Albions and Scammells although everything was badged as Leyland due to political reasons. The Contractor was Owned by the Bet-Shean Harod co-op which at the time comprised of a joint fleet of number of Kibbutzim in the North Galilee. Not sure about the ownership of the current haulier but they’re still around(tsh.co.il/). The Contractor had a ■■■■■■■ 250 and Fuller Roadranger 15sp box (all but 4 Contractors imported to Israel had the Fuller box).

A nice traditional low loader (and its proud driver) and load at John Browns on the Clyde.

The load is a turbine body by the way

David

oiltreader:
These thanks to Len Rogers, some posted before but now where they belong.
Oily

Oily I do like that Rotinoff in my opinion its in a league of its own.

Dig

A mixed selection.

hh261.jpg

hh264.jpg

hh265.jpg

Dean I.m stealing your thunder here but I reckon this Contractor deserves a place in this thread after the great sleuthing you did to get it on the Scammel thread.

Cheers Dig

scammellr1.PNG

DIG:

oiltreader:
Oily

Dig

Hi DIG not that many made, I read 35 in all and so percentage wise probably more in preservation than any other make, a collection of pics here
flickr.com/groups/862591@N21/pool/
Oily

DIG:
Dean I.m stealing your thunder here but I reckon this Contractor deserves a place in this thread after the great sleuthing you did to get it on the Scammel thread.

Cheers Dig

Hows it going Dig ? Hope your behaving yourself ! :wink:

Mixed selection.

hh267.PNG

hh274.jpg

oiltreader:

DIG:

oiltreader:
Oily

Dig

Hi DIG not that many made, I read 35 in all and so percentage wise probably more in preservation than any other make, a collection of pics here
flickr.com/groups/862591@N21/pool/
Oily

Top show Oily thanks for supplying the "whole nine yards ’ of Rotinoffs.
Two did find there way here and now live at the Australian Hall of Fame,one is fully restored and I hear the other should be completed next year,a great achievement by all concerned as you can see by the picture of one on your flicker group photos which had the HC registration plate which was found on a station near Halls Creek and the other close to Perth in West Aus.
They certainly played a large part in the transportation of cattle here in Australia and deserve there place in the Hall of Fame.

Cheers Dig

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

Hows it going Dig ? Hope your behaving yourself ! :wink:

Mixed selection.

DeanB,you should know by now I never misbehave while the cook is watching lol.

Thanks to moomooland, Chris Arbon, David Miller, DIG and Dean for the pic’s, cracking shots once again lads, cheers! :wink: