"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Busy couple of weeks hauling plant into Hill Head quarry for the show then this weekend and next week hauling it all back out ! :wink:

Buzzer

MAP Centurion exiting Hill Head hauling a 45 ton 945 excavator en route to Biggleswade Antony P. at the wheel !

My favourite MAP motor the waggon & trailer shot here loaded with some of the “mini” plant from the show . A very versatile part of the MAP fleet !

The Centurion shot here running a bit lighter with a 28 ton 480 loading shovel on the trailer. :wink:

Similar weight this 475 hauled by the baby unit on the fleet the 440 !

Buzzer

Two of the four ■■■■■■ vans MAP operate ready to roll with their charges.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

An interesting trio there Buzzer.
Firstly down memory lane to the blessed Carr Mill Cafe on the East Lancs.
Then I noticed that the pepperpot MRS ‘garden shed’ has no mirrors. Not needed I suppose if you are going so slowly if you want to see what’s behind you you simply get out and have a walk round. :laughing:
And lastly that interesting Norwegian. Is that fold over axle the same as those the Americans use for extra spread, can’t remember what they call it, or is it simply my first thought, which was that it is a spare? :confused:

Also I note that while both Pickfords and the Norwegian have 9 axles on the road, how on earth did they spread the weight in MRS’s time? Perhaps simply did a lot of damage to roads and avoided bridges? :unamused:

Buzzer Thu.

Difficult job calls for the services of a class outfit ! :sunglasses: :wink: The 5 ton bucket was detached and lifted onto a rigid for delivery to the site.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

That would have to carry some serious weight so I.m guessing something like mobile Crane counter weights?

Dig

Sunday Buzzer

pv83:

DIG:

pv83:
One to keep DIG happy :wink:

I have deduced Patrick you and Dean O don’t have shoeboxs of photos it has to be a 40foot sea containers.

Thanks for the above photo Patrick I.m assuming its an Australian company but not one i have come across possibly Star Down Under may have in the eastern states however I reckon the driver in that photo would have a firm grip on his seat and he would still have both hands on the steering because I think the load is taking over and he is going straight with full lock on.

Dig.

Well Dean certainly must have got several 40ft containers stacked to the roof DIG :laughing:

Not sure if it’s an Australian firm actually, might as well be an American firm?

McIvor’s Transport is still operating, cattle carting still. The grandson of Bruce, the founder, is now in the chair, they have depots throughout Queensland.
Sorry for the tardy response, I was rolling a smoke. :unamused: :laughing:

DEANB:

DIG:
Thanks DeanO
An impressive unit obviously well maintained and modified and our fearless leader will also be impressed I.m sure.

I have been looking for RFW trucks an Australian designed and built units and came up with a couple apparently impressive in the all wheel drive industry. Sadly no longer in production I understand .

Dig

Funny enough i saw an article about RFW in the last couple of weeks but cant find it now. :unamused: :laughing:

Heres a few bits.

Click on once to read.

Cyril Anderson was a big name in transport and vehicle importing, distribution and sales. He had the agency for Mack trucks and the Peugeot range. He also negotiated and introduced Mazda to Australia, becoming the importer/distributor and South East Queensland retailer.
He founded and operated Western Transport, at one stage the largest fleet and Mack operator in the country.

historicvehicles.com.au/histori … ds/leader/

Leader trucks were totally customizable and two photos below, were a pair custom built for Brambles Heavy Haulage. IIRC, Cat 3408 and Spicer 20 speed. I’m not sure if the pictures are of the same truck or one of each.

images (64).jpeg

images (65).jpeg

pv83:
One to keep DIG happy :wink:

Looks like a North American spec truck and trailer, definitely not Australian.

DIG:
A few wooly jumpers. NMP

Dig

Unusual to see gates on a load of wool, they must’ve been smaller than normal bales.

DIG:
This photo is proof of my environmentalist consciousness.
In 1988 i was taking a road train load of drilling chemicals to a rig operating in the Great Sandy desert in northern West Oz along an access track called the Kidson Track I was 200kms from the coastal hwy when I pulled up for a sleep,
In the morning when I hit the starter all I got was a half hearted grunt from the engine , a check of terminals etc didn’t resolve the problem but there was enough in the batteries tp operate the HF radio and a call to base resulted in their assurance they would send me 2 batterys on a truck leaving there in a couple of hours heading for the rig also, as it was 600 odd kms he would be with me the following day.
He duly arrived and I fitted the batterys sent they turned out to be worse than the ones I had so a bit of a dummy spit on my behalf saw one of them being hurled into the bush. I got going by removing the batteries of the other truck leaving his motor running while we did that,[couldnt do that with one of the modern breed units i.m thinking] .
Any how I got started we replaced the old batteries back in mine put the mates back in his truck and off we went into the wide blue yonder duly arriving at the rig that evening.
The photo shows me in 2009 on a holiday trip back to the deserts returning to the scene of my indiscretion picking up the battery I had dispatched to take it back to town and dispose of it in the correct manner.
Not exactly HH but possibly what we had to contend with in my younger day related to the chosen way of HH work at that time.

Dig

Traditional dress noted, Dig. :wink: