"Heavy Haulage through the years"

The Kane Group has different areas of expertise including plant hire. The picture below is of their STGO CAT 3 MAN. They are based in St Albans, just north of London, UK.

More information about the Kane Group can be viewed here: kane-group.co.uk/

pv83:

colinwallace1:
Hi all, found one of these today.
Unfortunately, there isn’t much left of it!

Such a sad ending… Maybe DIG knows more about it?

Good find CW as it was a DFD Rhodes unit it was built at British Leylands Adelaide branch powered by the big AEC engine apart from that its about all I can offer.
Dean B has a pretty good library of these units he may have more information.
I just found this photo of another twin steer unit and the difference is the front mud guards I have looked through all the other photos I can find of the 8 wheelers and this one that CW found is the only one with the different front guard.

Dig

24084185809_ba0cb617fd.jpg

Danmark are part of the Danish company BMS with offices also located in Norway, Sweden, Germany, Poland and UK. More information can be found here: https://eng.bms.dk/#!knowledge-heavy-transport

No doubt someone on here can tell us more about the MAN and the trailers in the photo - 11 axles on the front one and 13 axels on the rear trailer.

Fully freighted standing in the depot en route to Brighton.

DIG:
“pv83” “colinwallace1” Hi all, found one of these today.

Good find CW as it was a DFD Rhodes unit it was built at British Leylands Adelaide branch powered by the big AEC engine apart from that its about all I can offer.
I just found this photo of another twin steer unit and the difference is the front mud guards I have looked through all the other photos I can find of the 8 wheelers and this one that CW found is the only one with the different front guard.

Dig

It would be intresting to know how many Contractors were converted to 8 wheeler units. Will pop some stuff on later.

Patrick, seem to remember you liked these MAN jumbos. 1978.

hh jumbo man 78 phh.PNG

DIG:

pv83:

colinwallace1:

Dig

Few more pics

I think i have put this all on before but some odds and sods on the 8 wheeler Contractors.

Click on pages twice to read.

scammell contr 8 1967 ppg.PNG

scammell contr 8 19671 ppg.PNG

Rhodes Contractor.

scammell construcor 8 aus ppg.PNG

hh scammell 8w phh.PNG.jpg

Great stuff Dean, you never cease to amaze me.
Looks as if I got there 20 years too late to see the good stuff. :unamused:
Cheers. Colin.

jshepguis:
Hi Patrick on seeing the picture of the West of Scotland vehicle i’ve just finished building a model of one of their Volvo’s so here are a few pic’s

Looks great mate! What scale is that, 1:24?

jsutherland:

pv83:
Some more nostalgic pic’s from the shoe box collection.

Some great nostalgic pictures and loads carried around Patrick. I guess police etc. were a tad less strict back then :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Not sure about being less strict, but the job had to be done one way or another :wink:

DEANB:

DIG:

pv83:

colinwallace1:

Dig

Cheers DIG and Dean :wink:

DEANB:

DIG:
“pv83” “colinwallace1” Hi all, found one of these today.

Dig

It would be intresting to know how many Contractors were converted to 8 wheeler units. Will pop some stuff on later.

Patrick, seem to remember you liked these MAN jumbos. 1978.

Yes mate, still interested in those big MAN’s!

jsutherland:
Danmark are part of the Danish company BMS with offices also located in Norway, Sweden, Germany, Poland and UK. More information can be found here: https://eng.bms.dk/#!knowledge-heavy-transport

No doubt someone on here can tell us more about the MAN and the trailers in the photo - 11 axles on the front one and 13 axels on the rear trailer.

Looks more like Torbe Rafn went up into the BMS group Johnny, maybe BMS is looking into competing with Mammoet, as they used to be a crane firm and had nothing to do with road haulage…?

Bewick:

Is that in Redditch Bewick?

Spotted this Felbermayr unit last week just north of Munich.

colinwallace1:
Great stuff Dean, you never cease to amaze me.
Looks as if I got there 20 years too late to see the good stuff. :unamused:
Cheers. Colin.

No worries chap. :wink:

ICI Contractor.

aussi scammell contractor.PNG

Patrick MAN.

A03851p.JPG

I think that the ICI Scammell was used in Tunstead quarry near Buxton, they replaced ERF’s but Rigsby will know more.

Pete.

windrush:
I think that the ICI Scammell was used in Tunstead quarry near Buxton, they replaced ERF’s but Rigsby will know more.

Pete.

Thats right Pete. :wink: