"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Couple more, Buzzer

This is what you want under your bonnet! :laughing:

061F9E9C-013B-4088-80DC-58C0B2D986C8.jpeg

Hi Kempston, Your picture of the enormous marine engine reminded me of a picture I recall on this years Merseyside calendar.
This picture is titled " Oil Engine, Cammell Laird Shipyard, Birkenhead 1935 ". It would be interesting to know what these engines weigh.

Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
Hi Kempston, Your picture of the enormous marine engine reminded me of a picture I recall on this years Merseyside calendar.
This picture is titled " Oil Engine, Cammell Laird Shipyard, Birkenhead 1935 ". It would be interesting to know what these engines weigh.

Cheers, Ray.

Hi Ray, I believe the picture I posted of a ships engine was for a super tanker and weighed around 2,300 tons. I used to go into Cammell Lairds for W.H. Allen when I worked there many moons ago, this is a photo of one of Allens engines which would have weighed in at between 60 & 80 tons just to give you a comparison.

2B252B38-F5C4-4FCB-96B2-41F934E2A166.jpeg

How about this for a crankshaft!

DIG:

DEANB:

pv83:
“DEANB”

Pickfords doing a bit in 1967.

Cheers Dean, this one is pic of the week far as I’m concerned :wink:

Not sure what year Cranes of Dereham become Crane Fruehauf.

Any help DeanO… double click needed

Dig

Cheers Dean and DIG :wink:

Buzzer:
Couple more, Buzzer

Bit of a unusual Brackmills motor at first glance? Did they converted this one?

Kempston:
This is what you want under your bonnet! :laughing:

Does this qualify for the “we’ve had bigger than that down 'ere drive” award…?

Ray Smyth:

Cheers, Ray.

Nice to see those pictures of old, cheers Ray.

Three today, Buzzer

Various.
Oily

Just one, Buzzer

That batch with the VST Volvo was interesting Buzzer, ta mate. And it got me digging in the archives again, as VST (Van Seumeren Transport) might have started quite humble, they ended up being the biggest heavy haulage and crane company in Holland, Europe and with the acquisition of Mammoet the world.

I tried to explain the history of Van Seumeren earlier on on this thread, it’s somewhere on the first few pages IIRC for anyone who might be interested :wink:

Anyway, to jog the memories a bit, here’s a bit of footage, courtesy of the Van Seumeren Mammoet collection and J. van Wees.

This one was owned by Somerscales, but had the VST livery, as they worked together on many occasions in those early days.

oiltreader:
Various.
Oily

You forgot the Oshkosh Oily :laughing:

DISPATCHER:

Interesting load Chris, any more details about it?

Sorry Patrick I cant remember wether we were subieing for them or them for us

Some more for you Patrick

Some hefty lumps on this page.
I used to Drive /Drove this old girl in the 1960s when working the recovery shifts at BRS Irthlingborough,we serviced from Watford Gap to Luton on the M1 Stamford to Stevenage on the A1 when Peterborough under pressure.and any in the area ,Milton Keynes just a dream in those days.

Dig

image001%2520copy copy.jpg