"Heavy Haulage through the years"

This is the Google map of the trip, I was close on the mileage, as you can see if you zoom in, there’s almost no congested areas apart from Seattle which can be a nightmare, fortunately it wasn’t this time as I timed it perfectly going in after the morning rush and avoiding it completely on the way back.

Nice pics “newmercman” :wink:

Patrick i see you mentioned Sarens.

Click on pages twice to read.

jsutherland:
An Oshkosk - an American company Oshkosh Corporation - Wikipedia - https://www.oshkoshcorp.com

Good photos Johnny and DeanO some big lumps on those self propelled trailers and I learnt that Oshkosh is not a subsidiary company of Caterpillar,I got that all wrong when I worked for Cats in 1969 and they assembled the first 2 Oshkosh road train primer movers in West Aus.
Dig

DIG:

jsutherland:
An Oshkosk - an American company Oshkosh Corporation - Wikipedia - https://www.oshkoshcorp.com

Good photos Johnny some big lumps on those self propelled trailers and I learnt that Oshkosh is not a subsidiary company of Caterpillar,I got that all wrong when I worked for Cats in 1969 and they assembled the first 2 Oshkosh road train primer movers in West Aus.
Dig

Hope they had a better cab than the one I was offered in Sydney to drive to Melbourne and back. Just an ordinary semi but with an identical cab to that green one in South America pulling a multi wheeler. The cab was so tiny, very narrow and so so basic. I declined. :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:
How sweet that they have a special parking area reserved for rattlesnakes, be nice to the wildlife and it’ll be nice to you…won’t it? :confused: :laughing:

Love the mirror extensions NMM, when I worked for Econofreight all those years ago if there was one thing I hated with a vengeance, it was wide loads, high, long and heavy, bring it on, but not being able to see down the side, :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Nice loads NMM, ta for posting mate :wink:

That Case tractor looks massive, wonder what engine it’s got under the bonnet… saw some older IH’s at rallies which were fitted with a nice V8 engine… not sure if they still do that nowadays?

Last year I loaded some Fendt tractors at the factory in southern Germany, those things had more luxury on board than I had in my BMW!

Nae bother (apologies to the Scottish natives on here, I was simply doing it because it sounds so powerful :wink: ) looking in your mirrors with a wide load David, it’s basically aiming at which direction you want to go, and then flat to the mat :laughing:

Only see those mirror extensions on the French drawbars that haul those mobile homes, can’t recall seeing it on anything else…?

DEANB:

Cheers mate, nice to see Curtis and De Kil being mentioned too :wink:

Spardo:

DIG:

jsutherland:

Good photos Johnny some big lumps on those self propelled trailers and I learnt that Oshkosh is not a subsidiary company of Caterpillar,I got that all wrong when I worked for Cats in 1969 and they assembled the first 2 Oshkosh road train primer movers in West Aus.
Dig

Hope they had a better cab than the one I was offered in Sydney to drive to Melbourne and back. Just an ordinary semi but with an identical cab to that green one in South America pulling a multi wheeler. The cab was so tiny, very narrow and so so basic. I declined. :wink: :laughing:

Even more tiny and basic than the English counterparts David? :laughing: ahum… coat… :blush:

Since we’re a bit on a agricultural theme… here’s what I had to load the other day… a sugar beet harvester… it’s owned and built by a Belgian producer of sugar seeds, and to test the quality of the sugar beet they’ve got test fields in France, Germany and the UK. To get immediate test results there’s a whole lab fitted in the cab of the machine. I was quite impressed by it all I must admit and it was very interesting as well, as I for one never gave much thought about sugar. Never too old to learn eh :wink:

More info at sesvanderhave.com

DEANB:

Dean strikes again - another one from his huge shoebox.

Straumann Transports Spéciaux - a French heavy haulage company based at Colmar. https://www.transport-straumann.fr/photos

Here are some more pictures of Straumann wagons from the baumaschinenbilder website:

http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=4239&threadview=1&hilight=&hilightuser=0&sid=deadea8d40bdb1f48af9d9b7d001d483&page=30

newmercman:
Busy week for me, went out to Seattle with the transformer, the customer in Winnipeg requested me to do it as I did the last (and first) one, which is good to hear, nice to know you’re appreciated. Reloaded the Fendt tractor in Dupont WA for Humbolt SK, ran a 100miles east to a one horse town to load the 16’ wide Case Steiger 500, I drove it up on the trailer first go, dead center and dead straight, hard to do with anything articulated. Dropped that off 500miles away just outside Edmonton AB, then I picked up the loading shovel from Edmonton and took it to Kamloops BC where, after having the day off today, I’ll unload it in the morning, again I drove it on perfect, so the next one is guaranteed to be a complete nightmare to load on! In total Saturday morning to the following Saturday evening I did just under 4,000miles.

Great pictures and info of your trip newmercman - thanks for posting them.

pv83:

Spardo:

Even more tiny and basic than the English counterparts David? :laughing: ahum… coat… :blush:

Most definitely, I have never been in a heavy truck where I could reach the passenger door handle from the driver’s seat, even my Mack was a stretch. And it was really basic, not an ounce of comfort. This bloke was an OD who was a regular on the Melbourne run, he was parked in a side street waiting for his hours to set off through the night. He actually offered me the drive on the spot, that’s how desperate he was to get out of the shift.

looking in your mirrors with a wide load David, it’s basically aiming at which direction you want to go, and then flat to the mat :laughing:

…and reversing? :wink: :laughing:

Only see those mirror extensions on the French drawbars that haul those mobile homes, can’t recall seeing it on anything else…?

…Yes me too, aren’t some/many of those drivers English though? I certainly know one English car pilot who lives in France.

Spardo:

pv83:

Spardo:

Most definitely, I have never been in a heavy truck where I could reach the passenger door handle from the driver’s seat, even my Mack was a stretch. And it was really basic, not an ounce of comfort. This bloke was an OD who was a regular on the Melbourne run, he was parked in a side street waiting for his hours to set off through the night. He actually offered me the drive on the spot, that’s how desperate he was to get out of the shift.

One of these David? I hitched a ride in one from Derby to Perth 2400kms as you said a small cab I noticed all the panels were bolted in, the driver loved the truck I didn’t ask for a drive but as he wanted to get back to his family as much as I did he asked me if i would give him a spell,I have to say it drove good a bit noisy but my old Hippo was worse Cat powered we did it in 36 hours which was pretty good considering about 1500kms of the road was dirt.
The cab over here we had one later bogie drive also Cat powered but it was the worst dust sucking truck I have ever known I guess having the aerodynamics of a house brick was the reason.
Cheers Dig

images-3.jpeg

images-2.jpeg

Hi NMM
I have been checking your Moose/ can’t say roo bar maybe Bison,bear bar, I have difficulty with your ground clearance both truck and trailer but your a lower profile than we are even today with the new models, as i have said before you must have some very flat roads.
Our bars are built onto a heavy duty rectangular section Aluminium tube which allows a push /pull bar to be fitted when we have had to hook together to climb a steep sand hill or even jump up on a gravel surfaced road.
They are mounted higher as is the rest of the ruck.
Your exhaust look like they come to the outside under the chassis rails where ours over the rails are the KWs over there same era as your truck similar to yours . I fitted a 60inch bunk which I thought was taj mahal until I saw yours still nothing wrong with a bit of comfort when parked up for the night or day for that matter. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Cheers Dig

Dig, my truck has a 5" drop axle up front, that’s why it rides so low, it hasn’t caused me any problems yet, apart from knocking the little lights on the corners off, my own fault for mounting them so low. It does have its benefits though as anything I hit won’t go underneath and rip air lines etc off, thankfully I haven’t put it to the test so far.

Construction is similar to your ones, a big steel girder across the front of the chassis and aluminum, or alooooominum as they call it here, box section/tubes.

Anyway here’s this week’s load, Tacoma WA to Calgary AB, it’s a road milling machine, C18 CAT powered and a picture of some Western Stars heading your way.

Shetland and all credit to Ronnie Robertson for the photos.
Oily

A couple of ALE from the NA3T website.

JLC00242-15.jpg

JLC00242-16.jpg

jsutherland:
Straumann Transports Spéciaux - a French heavy haulage company based at Colmar. https://www.transport-straumann.fr/photos

Here are some more pictures of Straumann wagons from the baumaschinenbilder website:

Baumaschinenbilder.de - Forum | Schwerlast | Scania Schwertransporte

I think they started with those mighty Pacific’s Johnny :wink:

94143960_215895139703664_2105541832065679360_n.jpg

DIG:
Hi NMM
I have been checking your Moose/ can’t say roo bar maybe Bison,bear bar, I have difficulty with your ground clearance both truck and trailer but your a lower profile than we are even today with the new models, as i have said before you must have some very flat roads.
Our bars are built onto a heavy duty rectangular section Aluminium tube which allows a push /pull bar to be fitted when we have had to hook together to climb a steep sand hill or even jump up on a gravel surfaced road.
They are mounted higher as is the rest of the ruck.
Your exhaust look like they come to the outside under the chassis rails where ours over the rails are the KWs over there same era as your truck similar to yours . I fitted a 60inch bunk which I thought was taj mahal until I saw yours still nothing wrong with a bit of comfort when parked up for the night or day for that matter. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Cheers Dig

Never had the pleasure of driving a wagon that was fitted with a bull bar (insert other name :wink: ), but if you want to open up the bonnet, for daily checks, do you need to dismantle the whole construction first? Or is there a simple folding mechanism on it?