"Heavy Haulage through the years"

newmercman:
Heavy haul in Italy really is heavy haul, they have a rather generous interpretation of GVW limits on normal lorries, back in the permit days I had a yellow cabotage book and did a few internals in Italy, I tared off at 19ton with a fridge and they would put 33plts on at a ton a piece. There were wagon and drags that were much heavier empty and had more floor space leaving that were loaded to the back doors, they were easily grossing 60ton plus.

As a fan of IVECO lorries, having owned a few, the least powerful of which was a 480 TurboStar, I imagine they made a brilliant heavy haul unit, especially if they had some of the marine spec engines in them, those were getting four figure horsepower long before electronics allowed a computer chip to turn up the wick.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Indeed, and I well remember those 8+8 wagon and drags groaning up and down the mountain passes of Northern Italy leaving a trail of black smoke in their wake. :slight_smile:

But I never really got to grips with one personally and must admit to considering them a least desirable option. This must have been cemented in my mind firstly when a very lightweight example was considered the inferior member of the fleet at A&H of Long Eaton, set against his various Volvos of the time.

Then, much later, here in France I was once required to park my Magnum near Bordeaux and hitch home for the weekend and travel back with a mate in his Stralis on the Monday morning. He insisted, despite my protestations, that he had been ordered to delay his tacho sign on till we got to Bordeaux and that I should drive the Stralis down there. I was not impressed. :neutral_face:

Before my time as well, but luckily I know a bloke…
Picture courtesy of Peter Clark

Driven by Mr Gilyeat

Thats more like it some good old stuff been posted recently. Those Fauns were big old beasts Patrick. :wink:

Clipping from 1977

hh watkinson 77.PNG

newmercman:
Dig, it was tongue in cheek mate, I thought it would set off you know who. We would then learn how the heavy haul industry and the British Army were doing it all wrong [emoji1]

To be fair they would have had the problem that the 92 series hadn’t been invented when the Crusader hit the roads and a 16v71 was never going to fit. :wink:

Keep the Italian stuff coming gents. Those multi-axle drawbar outfits, not to mention the centre-bogie semi trailers, have always fascinated me.

My work for the next 5weeks.

Danne

Strange cant upload more…

.IVECO 150 ton 8x4

Dirty Dan:

Is this what you were trying to post Danne? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

heavy-haulage_Scania_1_20190514.jpeg

heavy-haulage_Scania_2_20190514.jpeg

An old Kaelble. Kaelble was a German company, founded in 1884 as a steam rmachine repairer. In 1907 they built their first lorry. The company traded under the name TEREX-Kaelble in 2002 under Terex GmbH. In 2010 Atlas Maschinen GmbH bought over all parts of Kaelble.

heavy-haulage_Kaelble-KDV22Z8T_20190514.jpg

How would one get into this type of work? Its been my dream for years just dont know where to start. Id be happy hauling machinery to and from sites to tho.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not strictly on topic, but to add fuel to the Iveco appreciation theme:

What a superb restoration. The engine note is just about perfect- no silly exhaust histrionics (not even a turbocharger on these) or smoke.

jsutherland:

Dirty Dan:

Thanks Johnny! And yes it was that one i whanted to post :sunglasses:

Danne

Dirty Dan:

jsutherland:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

So after a long silence this is your idea of a “comeback” Johnny…? :unamused:

You can get the man out of the Ikea bog, but you can’t get the Ikea bog out of the man eh… :laughing:

Just out of curiosity Danne, what are the specifications of the new one?

[zb]
anorak:
Not strictly on topic, but to add fuel to the Iveco appreciation theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnGcmj6nG8Y
What a superb restoration. The engine note is just about perfect- no silly exhaust histrionics (not even a turbocharger on these) or smoke.

Very nice indeed anorak, ta mate!

DISPATCHER:
.IVECO 150 ton 8x4

Cheers Chris :wink: Were these any good in terms of reliability?

Rikki-UK:
Driven by Mr Gilyeat

Yes!!! Cheers Rikki!

jsutherland:
An old Kaelble. Kaelble was a German company, founded in 1884 as a steam rmachine repairer. In 1907 they built their first lorry. The company traded under the name TEREX-Kaelble in 2002 under Terex GmbH. In 2010 Atlas Maschinen GmbH bought over all parts of Kaelble.

Nice one mate, these would have that Swedish equivalent of disposable cups for breakfast! :laughing:

Rikki-UK:
Driven by Mr Gilyeat

Great picture Rikki.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

pv83:

Dirty Dan:

jsutherland:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

So after a long silence this is your idea of a “comeback” Johnny…? :unamused:

You can get the man out of the Ikea bog, but you can’t get the Ikea bog out of the man eh… [emoji38]

Just out of curiosity Danne, what are the specifications of the new one?

I was only helping a friend out.
I thought the Kaelble post would have made up for it.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny