"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Spardo:
Some pictures sent to me by DIG of my old boss, Noel Buntine’s fleet loading cattle at Helen Springs station in the Northern Territory. Noel sold out to some city slickers from Sydney in the early 80s, a decade or so after I left, but when they went bust he bought the job lot back again but, for legal reasons had to rename it. So RTA, Road Trains of Australia was born.

Before the pics, a few statistics supplied by DIg and big thanks to him and some sympathy while he swelters in 40C. :open_mouth:
I have recommended a summer holiday in Chicago where he might not need the aircon at the moment. :laughing:

Interesting statistics on the cattle trains at Helen Springs Station NT.
There are 17 trucks with 3 trailers and 2 decks per trailer;
Therefore there are 102 decks of cattle and there would be approximately 28 cattle per deck; This totals 2,856 head of cattle
The cattle will weigh approximately 500kg each (1102.3 lbs.)
The sale price for cattle at Longreach is approx. 165c/kg (75c/lb.)
Each animal will therefore be sold at $825.
Total revenue from this analysis is $2,356,200
Another interesting fact:
Each trailer has 24 tyres plus a dolly with 8 tyres
For the 72 trucks there are 4,464 tyres on the road

How would you fancy overtaking that lot? :laughing:

Cheers Spardo… and as for overtaking the lot, I reckon it’s easier to park up and try again the next day :laughing:

pv83:
Cheers Spardo… and as for overtaking the lot, I reckon it’s easier to park up and try again the next day :laughing:

Well, given the facts that, on a good stretch you can see to the far horizon, the lead driver will give you a heads up on the CB and the fact that, Aussies being so kind and generous they will hang back and let you in half way along, that shouldn’t be necessary.

However, I reckon all of those were parked up to pose, in motion the dust cloud may well have pushed you back to your first idea. :laughing: :laughing:

Some stuff from an old shoe box… courtesy of Ulrich Herberg :wink:

197410unnabradforduk.jpg

dxdh50293ej0p3myo.jpg

V2.jpg

Spardo:

pv83:

Well, given the facts that, on a good stretch you can see to the far horizon, the lead driver will give you a heads up on the CB and the fact that, Aussies being so kind and generous they will hang back and let you in half way along, that shouldn’t be necessary.

However, I reckon all of those were parked up to pose, in motion the dust cloud may well have pushed you back to your first idea. :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pv83:

Levant Express Transport still exists, and is a Lebanese company. This Kaelble in a mignty truck, as were the big Scammels of the 1950s.
levantexpress.net/about.php

Froggy55:

pv83:

Levant Express Transport still exists, and is a Lebanese company. This Kaelble in a mignty truck, as were the big Scammels of the 1950s.
levantexpress.net/about.php

Cheers for the link Froggy. Reckon the Kaelble was the german answer to Scammell, although a bit more powerful and they had a V8 engine…

Speaking of which… it’s been a while since we had some Scammells on… :wink:

44330354_10218167902373795_133182370298724352_n.jpg

An exhaustive sampling of Scammells prom the beiginning to the end! Amazing they managed to move such heavy loads with the first solid-rubber wheel trucks and a 90 bhp petrol engine!

pv83:

I have a similar photo to the bottom one on my wall but in colour and taken a couple minutes earlier … from the Navi pub when it got refurbished

XTM.jpg

Good evening to you all

Was it Sunters that had the river bridge collapse on them at Ferrybridge or Boroughbridge in the 1950s/1960s?

Froggy55:
An exhaustive sampling of Scammells prom the beiginning to the end! Amazing they managed to move such heavy loads with the first solid-rubber wheel trucks and a 90 bhp petrol engine!

Try telling that to the “new generation” of drivers with 750hp on tap… :wink:

Rikki-UK:

pv83:

I have a similar photo to the bottom one on my wall but in colour and taken a couple minutes earlier … from the Navi pub when it got refurbished

Ta Rikki… but does that mean… you’ve nicked it from the Navi pub…? I’ll get me coat…

EDTRUCK:
Good evening to you all

Was it Sunters that had the river bridge collapse on them at Ferrybridge or Boroughbridge in the 1950s/1960s?

Hiya mate, you’re alright?

Wasn’t it Wynn’s when that bridge… gave way…? Didn’t Dean posted an article about that event on here?

7f65cdf5ebe2cfad91a44d492c69041c.jpg

Some footage of what became the back bone for a lot of heavy haulage operations… the Pacific M26

img-2399112257.jpg

img-5836540a9a.jpg

2995901795_2_3_veI3ZO5w.jpg