"Heavy Haulage through the years"

DIG:

Froggy55:

DIG:

jsutherland:
A Bernard, but not sure of the model.

Johnny this has the looks of a Leyland Super Hippo 1950/60 build,I googled Bernard and the Renault brand came up but I was unable to find anything else,perhaps Leylands supplied some cab parts.The model I refer to were powered by the 600 engine.

Cheers Dig

This yellow 6 wheeler is certainly not a Bernard, though the shape of the cab is roughly the same. I’d bet for a Super-Hippo too.

Froggy that yellow truck is a Super Hippo I just put it on for a comparison with the Bernard,that is a 60s model the next model had square section mud guards but the cab was pretty much the same.

Dig

Wasn’t the Super Hippo intended for export only? Always thought they looked the part, certainly when you bear in mind when they came on the market.

The early beginnings of heavy haulage…

jshepguis:
On the subject of the Shell Atkinson road trains does anyone remember before tv was on all day. I think it was BBC 2 before programmes started there used to be information programmes one which was a shell one about Australia and featured the very same vehicles.

I do remember such a programme but I thought they were transporting cattle or sheep.

Dig
[/quote]
Wasn’t the Super Hippo intended for export only? Always thought they looked the part, certainly when you bear in mind when they came on the market.
[/quote]
Nice bunch of Steamers Patrick I always try go to see them when i visit.

I think your right Patrick I worked for Leylands n 1969/70 when i first arrived in Oz and that was the first time I came across one and it was at that time they produced the Turbo charged 690 engine the first models had the turbo mounted at the back of the engine which caused overheating and a nice warm floor in 40c plus heat.The next model had the turbo mid mounted on the side as most makes of engines are today,Leylands lost the battle with Macks and KW at that time as they produced radiators that needed shutters to keep them warm where the Super Hippos needed bigger radiators to cool them down.
Heres a few examples of ones I came in contact with models from1965 to 1973 the cab is pretty much the same on all of them.

Dig

Ausleyland.jpg

DIG:
I think your right Patrick I worked for Leylands n 1969/70 when i first arrived in Oz and that was the first time I came across one and it was at that time they produced the Turbo charged 690 engine the first models had the turbo mounted at the back of the engine which caused overheating and a nice warm floor in 40c plus heat.The next model had the turbo mid mounted on the side as most makes of engines are today,Leylands lost the battle with Macks and KW at that time as they produced radiators that needed shutters to keep them warm where the Super Hippos needed bigger radiators to cool them down.
Heres a few examples of ones I came in contact with models from1965 to 1973 the cab is pretty much the same on all of them.

Dig

A big user of Leylands in the Territory was Baldock, one of the pioneers and very faithfull to the make, and I saw several of those Hippos when I was there in the 60s. He also had some later models including the AEC badged Mustang with an LAD cab that we discussed many pages back.

One of his neighbours was Ted Stiles who was equally devoted to Fodens. Both took a long time to come round to the Macks that Buntine was majoring on by that time, and if they converted before disappearing from the scene, it was after my time.

DIG:
Dig

[/quote]
Nice bunch of Steamers Patrick I always try go to see them when i visit.

Dig
[/quote]
Just one of the reasons the British products lost overall I reckon DIG, pity though, if they just had sorted those things out… who knows what would have happened…?

Spardo:

DIG:

Dig

A big user of Leylands in the Territory was Baldock, one of the pioneers and very faithfull to the make, and I saw several of those Hippos when I was there in the 60s. He also had some later models including the AEC badged Mustang with an LAD cab that we discussed many pages back.

One of his neighbours was Ted Stiles who was equally devoted to Fodens. Both took a long time to come round to the Macks that Buntine was majoring on by that time, and if they converted before disappearing from the scene, it was after my time.

Is that the Baldock you’re referring to Spardo?

pv83:

Spardo:

DIG:

Dig

Indeed it is, Patrick, I don’t know if you have the book that I have but if not, the captions say that at a top speed of 23 mph, but a more usual 15 (to prevent trailer whip :open_mouth: ), the 2nd driver had time to get out and walk all around the trailers checking the tyres. When he wasn’t doing that he could rest in the box on top of the cab. :laughing:

Dave Baldock started after the war with a little 4 wheel Ford V8 but soon graduated to one of the Diamond Ts floating about as war surplus at the time. Maybe the one in the pictures. The vehicle piggy backed in the 2nd picture is a Federal, also owned by Baldock.

That was by no means the longest train, on more than one occasion there were 7 trailers, all unbraked. The firm did have some Fodens after they had finished with the Diamond Ts and Federals before majoring on Leylands, and eventually folded in the late 60s. Interestingly in view of discussions here with Dig a few days ago I read that his last Gardner powered Foden (kept on for it’s economy) was returning 6.25 mpg, 2.2 kms/litre or 45 litres /100km at 60 tonnes gross.

No wonder he held onto it, my Peugeot with a light trailer gives me 6.45 litres/100kms. :laughing:

Just realised that I was looking at a 3rd picture at the same time. The Federal is not in those you posted. :blush:

Just one of the reasons the British products lost overall I reckon DIG, pity though, if they just had sorted those things out… who knows what would have happened…?
[/quote]
Quite right Patrick
They had a bigger truck pre Super Hippo called the Buffalo powered by an Albion engine which could be super charged up to 300hp I haven’t seen one in the flesh but I think Leylands were on the right track with the last model S/Hippo with the heavy duty hub reduction rear axles and they fitted standard here a 13 speed r/r but neglected that bit that keeps truck cool then they released the Crusader here in Oz with a 8v71 series Detroit but I feel would have done better with a 300hp Rolls but they fitted Maudsley hub reduction rear axles which were unreliable we purchased 2 the second one had the Leyland hub reduction axles a far better truck but they had missed the boat.
Dig

images.jpeg

pv83:

Spardo:

DIG:

Dig

Brings back a few memories the water bags hanging on the front bar also must be winter the way the driver/mate is rugged up
Dig

DIG:
Brings back a few memories the water bags hanging on the front bar also must be winter the way the driver/mate is rugged up
Dig

Yes, doesn’t it, surely one of the world’s great inventions, in the days before in cab fridges.

A1(M) heading south thanks to Richard Says.
Oily

Heavy Haul Richard34508835943_b81cfaf224_k.rs jpg.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 45793505851_5c1041c9be_rs k.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 40624983040_fbddb3f07c_k.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 44880814665_8ba2a303be_rs k.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 44165084652_fd9abbde8a_rs k.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 43038246595_233ec27127_rs k.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 42515141915_bc37e2a199_rs k.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 39898414493_ebfb8b8c9f_rs k.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 30863899578_04bb0bd4ec_rs k.jpg

Heavy Haul Richard 29026903617_0baafc105drs _k.jpg

A very brief history of Kahl Schwerlast
In 1953 the brothers Hans and Helmut (23 and 17) set up a branch of Konrad Kahl & Söhne in Duisburg, Germany (with two converted GMC vehicles from the US army). In 1956 it became the Hans u. Helmut Kahl oHG.

In 2006 the management was taken over by the current owners and Managing Directors Andreas and Rainer Kahl and the KAHL SCHWERLAST GmbH Internationale SchwertransportLogistik founded.

More can be read here Company - Heavy transport – KAHL GROUP of companies | KAHL SCHWERLAST

Picture courtesy of martinuz41: instagram.com/martinuz41/

One for Patrrick - a Sunters Scammel.

Sunter Bros of Northallerton, North Yorkshire, were for many years a well known name in heavy haulage. The company was taken over and disappeared into Econofreight in the 1980s consolidation of the Heavy Haulage industry. More can be read about the company here: Sunters | Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki | Fandom

jsutherland:

Sunter Bros of Northallerton, North Yorkshire, were for many years a well known name in heavy haulage. The company was taken over and disappeared into Econofreight in the 1980s consolidation of the Heavy Haulage industry. More can be read about the company here: Sunters | Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki | Fandom

Thats a cracking pic of Sunters contractor Johnny. :smiley:

DEANB:

jsutherland:

+1

David

Some pictures sent to me by DIG of my old boss, Noel Buntine’s fleet loading cattle at Helen Springs station in the Northern Territory. Noel sold out to some city slickers from Sydney in the early 80s, a decade or so after I left, but when they went bust he bought the job lot back again but, for legal reasons had to rename it. So RTA, Road Trains of Australia was born.

Before the pics, a few statistics supplied by DIg and big thanks to him and some sympathy while he swelters in 40C. :open_mouth:
I have recommended a summer holiday in Chicago where he might not need the aircon at the moment. :laughing:

Interesting statistics on the cattle trains at Helen Springs Station NT.
There are 17 trucks with 3 trailers and 2 decks per trailer;
Therefore there are 102 decks of cattle and there would be approximately 28 cattle per deck; This totals 2,856 head of cattle
The cattle will weigh approximately 500kg each (1102.3 lbs.)
The sale price for cattle at Longreach is approx. 165c/kg (75c/lb.)
Each animal will therefore be sold at $825.
Total revenue from this analysis is $2,356,200
Another interesting fact:
Each trailer has 24 tyres plus a dolly with 8 tyres
For the 72 trucks there are 4,464 tyres on the road

How would you fancy overtaking that lot? :laughing:

5thwheel:

DEANB:

jsutherland:

+1

David

Good to see you’re back posting some decent stuff Johnny, danke :wink:

oiltreader:
A1(M) heading south thanks to Richard Says.
Oily

Cheers Oily.

Some more from Jan de Rijk…