"Heavy Haulage through the years"

DIG:
My 2 bobs worth not a crane but incorporating a lot of crane devices and when they are moved they are broken down by a crane and loaded unloaded on/off trucks and rebuilt with cranes.
Cheers Dig

Interesting pic’s there DIG, cheers! Looks like it’s got something to do with the oil industry…?

jsutherland:

DIG:
My old mate Deanb posted this at my request on another site a couple of years ago before I figured out how to do it so I hope you don’t mind me posting it here it is an article about the company I worked for in the 80s and early 90s,I wasn’t on this rig move the boss sent me to Queensland must have been because my truck was ■■■■■■■ powered lol.Hope you enjoy the read these blokes who I worked with were outback truck drivers.
Cheers Dig

What a great article DIG. The advantage of not having a good memory, enables one to enjoy an article as though one was reading it for the first time. Of course, this does not apply to the young laddie Patrick who has a memory like an elephant. :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing:

DIG:

pv83:
Going a bit off-topic here, but at the beginning or end of a journey, there’s always at some point a crane involved, whether it be a mobile or crawler one to do the loading or lifting of the load, so I reckoned it might be interesting to post some pic’s of such cranes on here? I can’t put a name on the various types and models but I’ve always been intrigued nonetheless by the capabilities of those cranes.

NMP

The Matador crane unit on the boiler living quarters recovery must have set you off on the crane journey Patrick by crikey there are some big mobile units in your collection what would their lift capacity be in excess of 300 tons ?
80 is well on the way to a ton on the scoreboard.

Dig

300 tons and more mate, when I get back I’ll pop on some really heavy stuff :wink:

DEANB:
Piece from 1961.

Click on pages twice to read.

Cheers Dean :wink:

I remember being a teenager and seeing the ex Parnabys Scammell S26 when it belonged to Vic Berry in Leicester . Its the well known one with the S24 snout on the front . I used to live on the next street to there yard . I used to see it loaded with railway carriages and it always looked like a proper bit of kit . Vic Berry also had sum heavy haulage Fodens . There are sum pics on the net .

pv83:
And here’s the picture again with a CLT for comparison. Cheers, Robert

It’s an Atki with a local build cab, and as for the source providing pulling power… it’s a Mercedes engine… Who would have thought of that…?
[/quote]
Here’s another:

Atkinson 1958 by TedXopl2009, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

pv83:
And here’s the picture again with a CLT for comparison. Cheers, Robert

It’s an Atki with a local build cab, and as for the source providing pulling power… it’s a Mercedes engine… Who would have thought of that…?

Here’s another:
[/quote]
Well I’ll be blowed! Thanks for that. Robert

austin70:
I remember being a teenager and seeing the ex Parnabys Scammell S26 when it belonged to Vic Berry in Leicester . Its the well known one with the S24 snout on the front . I used to live on the next street to there yard . I used to see it loaded with railway carriages and it always looked like a proper bit of kit . Vic Berry also had sum heavy haulage Fodens . There are sum pics on the net .

Heres an article Austin which includes Parnaby’s Scammell.

Nice one . Yes that’s the one with the strange S24 add on . Used to look a real beast .

DEANB:

austin70:

Heres an article Austin which includes Parnaby’s Scammell.

Yes that’s the one , thanks ,

DEANB:
Piece from 1961.

Your on the ball again DeanB

Dig

DIG:
Piece from 1961.
Dig

Hello Dig hows it going me olde mucker ! :smiley: :wink:

Heres another one that may intrest you.

Click on pages twice.

DEANB:

DIG:
Piece from 1961.
Dig

Click on pages twice.

Dean strikes again!!! Fantastic.

pv83:

DEANB:
Piece from 1961.

On the Dutch Atkinson-chassis a fine line up end of the fifties

Atkinson-line-up-Holland.jpg

DEANB:

Click on pages twice.

Most interesting article indeed! The Constructor had its equivalent in France with the Berliet GBO/TBO.

I am guessing this is the USA Mammoet lads at work - https://www.mammoet.com/

ERF-Continental:

pv83:

DEANB:
Piece from 1961.

On the Dutch Atkinson-chassis a fine line up end of the fifties

Messrs C.F. van Mill from Gorinchem were Atkinson-importers from 1955 towards 1960.

It would take quite some years until Ets. Hocké in Waalwijk took up the business but
than Atkinson was merged with Seddon or the other waty round

The Constructor had its equivalent in France with the Berliet GBO/TBO

Like this Froggy55, courtesy of Dave Fawcett.
Oily

Exactly! This one is an army GBO 15 M3 fitted with the Relaxe cab and perhaps a 335 bhp ■■■■■■■ engine. Michel will probably tell us more!

DEANB:

DIG:
Piece from 1961.
Dig

Click on pages twice.

Certainly grabbed my interest Deano.good stuff