"Heavy Haulage through the years"

moomooland:
0Leicester Heavy Haulage ERF 4MW Reg No GJU 718N turns the corner at the junction between the High Street & Station Road
New Alresford in March 1976.
Nearing the end of it’s journey from a scrap yard in Barry South Wales the locomotive was destined for the Mid-Hants Railway

Cheers MML, always reckoned them Leicester wagons looked grand :wink:

Couple I’ve spotted on my journeys…

20161219_120758.jpg

Clipping from 1979.

Click on page twice.

moomooland:
0Leicester Heavy Haulage ERF 4MW Reg No GJU 718N turns the corner at the junction between the High Street & Station Road
New Alresford in March 1976.
Nearing the end of it’s journey from a scrap yard in Barry South Wales the locomotive was destined for the Mid-Hants Railway

Nice one MML thats a tight squeeze

Dig

pv83:

DIG:
Like the paint jobs Oily very smart.

Was thinking the same DIG, seeing the size of that lump I reckon it’s over 20t? No idea how they got that on, maybe whacked it on using a slope of some sort? Got to dig further into that topic I reckon mate…

That would have been a firm grip on the seat type load. Deano.

I do believe we have found another shoe box,I did some “Digin” via goggle "old time logging " and there is some great photos/pics and the loads are certainly worth a Heavy Haulage badge.
Heres a couple
Dig

MIM50000-8C.jpeg

pv83:

Good stuff Patrick there is certainly a wide variety of trucks and trailers for the low loader type operations your side of the planet.

My old KW was indeed a W900 series a W924 model ,it was built as an ON/Off highway unit double skinned chassis rails 9ton steer axle 56000ilb Eaton 2 speed diffs giving it a 128 ton aussie rating but i was only allowed to gross 118 tons.
cheers Dig

DIG:

pv83:

Good stuff Patrick there is certainly a wide variety of trucks and trailers for the low loader type operations your side of the planet.

My old KW was indeed a W900 series a W924 model ,it was built as an ON/Off highway unit double skinned chassis rails 9ton steer axle 56000ilb Eaton 2 speed diffs giving it a 128 ton aussie rating but i was only allowed to gross 118 tons.
cheers Dig

Sounds like a proper wagon DIG, looks the part… even with that dodgy bloke standing in front of it :wink:
I’ll get me coat…

Always thought those W900’s looked nicer than the Peterbilt equivalent for some reason, can’t put me finger on it, just a gut feeling I suppose… never driven one obviously but the first model I’d made was a W900… many moons ago…

How much fuel could you carry in those twin tanks mate? Must be a lot, reckon there’s not a service every 20odd miles out there eh… :laughing:

Fascinating pic you’ve dug up mate, can’t even imagine how tough it would have been, hauling timber with a… well whatever it is…

Cheers, Patrick

pv83:

DIG:

pv83:

cheers Dig

Sounds like a proper wagon DIG, looks the part… even with that dodgy bloke standing in front of it :wink:
I’ll get me coat…

Always thought those W900’s looked nicer than the Peterbilt equivalent for some reason, can’t put me finger on it, just a gut feeling I suppose… never driven one obviously but the first model I’d made was a W900… many moons ago…

How much fuel could you carry in those twin tanks mate? Must be a lot, reckon there’s not a service every 20odd miles out there eh… :laughing:

Fascinating pic you’ve dug up mate, can’t even imagine how tough it would have been, hauling timber with a… well whatever it is…

Cheers, Patrick

Have you still got the model Patrick? The W model first went into production in 1961 and is still going,the 908 is a lot different beast to my old girl.
Very few Peterbuilts here so hard for me to compare.

That dodgy bloke didn’t have to have braces to hold the jeans up in them days :laughing:
That was the start of a very long day I was sitting having a coffee with the boss 2200kms away the following day.

Your correct about fuel outlets few and far between plus of course the more remote the more you pay.
The W had 4x 400 litre tanks,the Mack that followed had 4 x 500 litre and then they started the square section tanks and now trucks are carrying up to 2400 litres but you have to remember units pulling 3 or 31/2 trailers would be chewing around a litre /kilometer my Mack when on double decker cattle work with 3 trailers across the Barclay Tablelands with a cross wind was battling to do 800metres/litre.

Cheers Dig

Was thinking the same DIG, seeing the size of that lump I reckon it’s over 20t? No idea how they got that on, maybe whacked it on using a slope of some sort? Got to dig further into that topic I reckon mate…

This was one way they loaded them a steam powered winch and Spar tree so I reckon cranes later

Dig

_home_hcvcorga_public_html_mainsite3_media_kunena_attachments_1804_mack11.jpg

Courtesy of eastleighbusman.
Oily

Heavy Haul eastleighbusman Gate 7 Soton Docks 40352418171_17ba6851a0_k elbm.jpg

Heavy Haul eastleighbusman Gate 7 Soton Docks 38563524230_bae7401708_k elbm.jpg

Heavy Haul eastleighbusman cc by nd 2.0 34774090426_19cf3add46_k elbm.jpg

Heavy Haul eastleighbusman 44168772391_5a62b151e9_k elbm.jpg

Heavy Haul eastleighbusman 42130204744_bd8dc4ae3a_o elbm.jpg

Siddle C Cook from 1967.

Click on pages twice.

DEANB:
Siddle C Cook from 1967.

Click on pages twice.

Cheers mate, love that drawing :laughing:

DEANB:
Some good pics Patrick. :smiley:

What did you make of this trailer you posted ! It looks like a logging trailer without the side bars ■■? :unamused:

Haven’t got a clue mate, just reckoned someone being handy with a welder came up with that :wink:

DIG:

pv83:

DIG:

pv83:

cheers Dig

I’ll get me coat…

Cheers, Patrick

Have you still got the model Patrick? The W model first went into production in 1961 and is still going,the 908 is a lot different beast to my old girl.
Very few Peterbuilts here so hard for me to compare.

That dodgy bloke didn’t have to have braces to hold the jeans up in them days :laughing:
That was the start of a very long day I was sitting having a coffee with the boss 2200kms away the following day.

Your correct about fuel outlets few and far between plus of course the more remote the more you pay.
The W had 4x 400 litre tanks,the Mack that followed had 4 x 500 litre and then they started the square section tanks and now trucks are carrying up to 2400 litres but you have to remember units pulling 3 or 31/2 trailers would be chewing around a litre /kilometer my Mack when on double decker cattle work with 3 trailers across the Barclay Tablelands with a cross wind was battling to do 800metres/litre.

Cheers Dig

Still got the model DIG, although it’s tucked away in a box somewhere… moved house couple of times, the model probably suffered a wee bit from that…

By gum, that is a lot of diesel to carry mate… I’m already happy with my 1000l…

DEANB:
Siddle C Cook from 1967.

Click on pages twice.

Excellent article Deano I do like those old Leyland Scammell heavy haul units.

Dig

This load of timber grossed in at 400000 pounds plus which is nearer 200ton than one hundred, the truck was a 1949 Peterbuilt and the driver was a bomber pilot during the war.

Dig

Unknown.jpeg

DIG:
This load of timber grossed in at 400000 pounds plus which is nearer 200ton than one hundred, the truck was a 1949 Peterbuilt and the driver was a bomber pilot during the war.

Dig

Big chunk for a bonfire eh… :unamused: :laughing:

oiltreader:
Courtesy of eastleighbusman.
Oily

Cheers Oily :wink:

I’ve found yet another old (digital) shoe box…

1476600_695577167139982_1002813366_n.jpg

8d0f366b1be525c64d33f5ce7353d35c.jpg

20620923_1342833739147690_7622344083164212342_n.jpg