"Heavy Haulage through the years"

How the heavy haulage industry has changed since the early 40s, Before nationallisation c amei nto force, This is my late Grandfathers Scammell artic ,Lowloader, When he worked for Currie & Co Ltd as their foreman driver, A 1942 Reg motor, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0How the heavy haulage industry has changed since the early 40s, Before nationallisation c amei nto force, This is my late Grandfathers Scammell artic ,Lowloader, When he worked for Currie & Co Ltd as their foreman driver, A 1942 Reg motor, Regards Larry.

A cracking picture

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

jsutherland:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0How the heavy haulage industry has changed since the early 40s, Before nationallisation c amei nto force, This is my late Grandfathers Scammell artic ,Lowloader, When he worked for Currie & Co Ltd as their foreman driver, A 1942 Reg motor, Regards Larry.

A cracking picture

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Cheers for posting Lawrence, what a cracking pic that is indeed! It has changed a wee bit over the years, don’t reckon we’d be able to run on solid tyres and having axle weights that run up to 15t… and more… :wink:

Was the Scammell already Gardner powered back then?

Cheers, Patrick

heavy_haulage-Vanguard-20180308-martinuz41.jpg

Vanguard from South Africa - https://www.vanguard.co.za/

heavy_haulage-Volvo-20180305-martinuz41.jpg

jsutherland:

That N12 tractor unit… wasn’t that in the fleet of Special Transport Norway…?

pv83:

jsutherland:

That N12 tractor unit… wasn’t that in the fleet of Special Transport Norway…?

Eagle eyes as usual Patrick. I have no idea which company is involved in the bottom picture. Only the top picture is from Vanguard.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

33432957_2125286814371367_3659092139377164288_n.jpg

31398327_2112365098996872_584009080016732160_n.jpg

23379893_2030608197172563_49847338981600825_n.jpg

pv83:

Patrick that loco is an impressive lift in todays world.
Dig

pv83:

The man lifting the electric cable in the second last picture - what would health and safety have to say about that today?

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

DIG:

pv83:

Patrick that loco is an impressive lift in todays world.
Dig

Surely is indeed DIG! Reckon such a loco would tip the scale at 80 to 100t…? Just tried to work out the axle weights, the mind boggles… :wink:

jsutherland:

pv83:

The man lifting the electric cable in the second last picture - what would health and safety have to say about that today?

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Nothing… they probably just shoot him… no difficult questions asked, no difficult answers to give… :laughing:

Nostalgic pic of the week… any thoughts on the make of the lorry?

pv83:

Belgian Brossel.

I saw those two Mammoet trucks again today Patrick similar loads as last week looks like their preferred truck here is Western Star,the camera person was a bit slow off the mark and only got the second she has been severely reprimanded.

Dig

pv83:

oiltreader:
Courtesy of Peter Schöler.
Oily

Cheers Oily! No doubt Herr Sutherland will be very pleased with some of the pic’s… :wink:

What do you mean very pleased with some of them■■? I am very pleased with ALL of them. Please ignore his comment Oily, he is just trying to cause trouble… again. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

DIG:
I saw those two Mammoet trucks again today Patrick similar loads as last week looks like their preferred truck here is Western Star,the camera person was a bit slow off the mark and only got the second she has been severely reprimanded.

Dig

A great picture DIG. Please pass on our thanks to the photographer.

Froggy55:

pv83:

Belgian Brossel.

Cheers Froggy, wasn’t there a thread about Brossel on here? Can’t remember having seen this pic before though… any thoughts on which engine provided the pulling power?

jsutherland:

pv83:

oiltreader:
Courtesy of Peter Schöler.
Oily

Cheers Oily! No doubt Herr Sutherland will be very pleased with some of the pic’s… :wink:

What do you mean very pleased with some of them■■? I am very pleased with ALL of them. Please ignore his comment Oily, he is just trying to cause trouble… again. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What? Me trying to cause trouble… again■■? Nah, wouldn’t do such a thing mate :laughing: :laughing: I’ll get me coat…