"Heavy Haulage through the years"

One for Dig. :wink:

Pictured here being hauled by Wynn’s Pacific 6x6 heavy duty prime mover Reg No GDW 277 ‘Dreadnought’ two more Pacific’s can be seen in attendance at the rear on pushing and restraining duties.

It is seen here making the long climb out of Delph on the A62 up towards Standedge Cutting before the long descent into Marsden then onward towards Huddersfield.

Note the queue of traffic behind which was a regular occurrence on the old A62 trunk road through Saddleworth long before the opening of the M62 across the Pennines.

Wynn’s Pacific’s were originally built between 1942 and 1945 by the Pacific Car & Foundry Company of Renton Washington who supplied many heavy six wheel drive armoured tractor units to the US Army for tank recovery.

After the war most were cut up with only a handful of them later being sold on and employed on civilian heavy haulage operations.

One such company to take advantage of these surplus WW2 vehicles was Robert Wynn & Sons Ltd of Newport South Wales who became renowned for their six superbly converted examples.

Costing £120 each, when the equivalent Scammell at that time was around £6000, they were an absolute bargain and paid for themselves over and over again.

All six were registered for UK road use and were given the following names…

‘Challenger’ (Reg No YDW 356)
‘Conqueror’(Reg No HDW 122)
‘Dreadnought’ (Reg No GDW 277)
‘Enterprise’(Reg No ADW 228B)
‘Helpmate’ (Reg No GDW 585)
‘Valiant’ (Reg No 1570 DW)

Powered by ■■■■■■■ NHRS6B six cylinder in line supercharged diesel 250 bhp engines Wynn’s designed and built the crew-cabs and ballast boxes themselves.

In 1968, not long after the above picture was taken, GDW 277 was taken into Wynn’s own workshops at Newport South Wales and was completely rebuilt using a number of Scammell Contractor components and emerged as Reg No NDW 345G as can be seen in the picture below…

DEANB:
One for Dig. :wink:

Thanks Deano your too kind giving me memories of my stock carting days when the body suffered a bit but wouldn’t have missed it for quids.

Dig

I just happened upon the following MAN and quickly got my smartphone out. I’m sure the experts on here can supply more details about the trailer.

More for DIG.
Oily

Heavy Haul OZ Queensland cr noderix cc by nc sa 2.0 269334731_596dda3193noderix _o.jpg

Heavy Haul OZ Luke Robinson cc by 2.0 5415425388_dff8cf60ee_LR o.jpg

Heavy Haul OZ Aeonx cc by sa 3.0 RACT_Mack_road-train_carrying_6_ASLAVs. Aeonx jpg.jpg

jsutherland:
I just happened upon the following MAN and quickly got my smartphone out. I’m sure the experts on here can supply more details about the trailer.

Cheers Johnny! Trailer looks like a Doll…? The wheelloader is an older type L180 I reckon… what’s even more interesting is why the driver extended the trailer that much, he’s out by more than 1m by the looks of it…? Maybe due to permit legislation…?

oiltreader:
More for DIG.
Oily

Cheers Oily :wink:

Fair size of weight that military Mack is pulling, I hauled similar ones for the cloggies, weight was about 35ish tonnes each…

pv83:

jsutherland:

Cheers Johnny! Trailer looks like a Doll…? The wheelloader is an older type L180 I reckon… what’s even more interesting is why the driver extended the trailer that much, he’s out by more than 1m by the looks of it…? Maybe due to permit legislation…?

Eagle eyes as usual Mr. Patrick. Thanks for the info.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

oiltreader:
More for DIG.
Oily

Thanks Oily you blokes are spoiling me but i would swop all the Oz photos just to see one of those Contractors or Pacifics doing it in the flesh.
Keep them coming though.

Cheers Dig

Hi DIG

what about a Mountaineer

DISPATCHER:
Hi DIG

what about a Mountaineer

Impressive DP is that a body truck with 2 dog trailers or a semi and one?
Cheers Dig

DIG:

DISPATCHER:
Hi DIG

what about a Mountaineer

Impressive DP is that a body truck with 2 dog trailers or a semi and one?
Cheers Dig

Was trying to work that out myself, but the load appears to be in one piece and yet it is isn’t clear if there is a turntable bolster on either trailer. :confused:

pv83:

jsutherland:

Hi guys! Really like this set up,but as u say Patric extended that mutch?
But i think its a faymonvill.

Danne

image.jpgJust in the process of having a bit of a clearout and this turned up at the bottom of a box containing some of my late brother’s junk. This photo may possibly have featured elsewhere on this thread previously, apologies if that’s the case, but I just don’t have time at the moment to wade through all 69 pages.

Heavy haulage isn’t my thing if I’m being honest, but it seemed a pity to bin the photo before putting it on here and giving other people a chance to see it. Who knows ?, it may be of interest to someone.

I’m not familiar with the location, but the internet informs me that there’s a Dragonara hotel in Leeds. I wouldn’t know, but someone no doubt will. Over to you Tykes.

Ive got a feeling that this is actually taken outside the Dragonara in Middlesbrough as i think it is the old Cleveland County Council offices next to the Dragonara hotel.

Eddie Heaton:
0Just in the process of having a bit of a clearout and this turned up at the bottom of a box containing some of my late brother’s junk. This photo may possibly have featured elsewhere on this thread previously, apologies if that’s the case, but I just don’t have time at the moment to wade through all 69 pages.

Heavy haulage isn’t my thing if I’m being honest, but it seemed a pity to bin the photo before putting it on here and giving other people a chance to see it. Who knows ?, it may be of interest to someone.

I’m not familiar with the location, but the internet informs me that there’s a Dragonara hotel in Leeds. I wouldn’t know, but someone no doubt will. Over to you Tykes.

A great photo Mr Heaton. Thanks for taking the time to scan and post it on here.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Hi DIG
Ballast tractor with double dolley set up (Ex WD SMT trailers wilth Bolsters) unfortuneatly armstrong hydraulics heres another view of same set up

AL.jpg

Some good old motors here.

This site carries on carrying lol,thanks all and I thought I would weigh in with a rubber tired dozer in transit.

Dig