Heavy duty bogie on a 44t tractor unit

Hi, there’s a new Scania 6x2 mid-lift steer for sale which meets our requirements, but it also says it has a heavy duty 19 tonne bogie. I found a link on google to a Scania PDF page about it, however the actually page no longer exists and returns a 404 error. Don’t really want to suffer the sales patter and hard sell from the dealer just yet by ringing to ask them, so does anyone here know how it differs from a ‘standard’ 6x2 mid-lift steer tractor? Logically if it’s heavy duty I would expect the components to be heavier than normal but I’m only guessing. We run at 44 tonne and although max payload is a priority where able, it’s not critical, so if there difference is under 50kg it would be fine, but not so much if the difference is 100+.
. On a related note, is there much difference in weight between a fixed and steered mid-lift configuration? In the real world how much tyre wear/scrub do you save by having a steered mid?

Its more likely a misprint and meant 9 ton front axle, there no way a midlift could have a 19ton axle in any position

Mick Bracewell:
Hi, there’s a new Scania 6x2 mid-lift steer for sale which meets our requirements, but it also says it has a heavy duty 19 tonne bogie. I found a link on google to a Scania PDF page about it, however the actually page no longer exists and returns a 404 error. Don’t really want to suffer the sales patter and hard sell from the dealer just yet by ringing to ask them, so does anyone here know how it differs from a ‘standard’ 6x2 mid-lift steer tractor? Logically if it’s heavy duty I would expect the components to be heavier than normal but I’m only guessing. We run at 44 tonne and although max payload is a priority where able, it’s not critical, so if there difference is under 50kg it would be fine, but not so much if the difference is 100+.
. On a related note, is there much difference in weight between a fixed and steered mid-lift configuration? In the real world how much tyre wear/scrub do you save by having a steered mid?

A mid lift steer will save on tyre scrub to a certain degree but there are about another 18 inspection points on PSV over a non steer, an easier way to save tyre scrub is get it set so that regardless of weight you can lift it for manoeuvring at low speeds. If weight is an issue it is possible replace the standard size mid lift with the smaller axle and wheels which are non steering.

chaversdad:
Its more likely a misprint and meant 9 ton front axle, there no way a midlift could have a 19ton axle in any position

It was just “heavy duty 19 tonne bogie” in the description, not specific to the mid-lift. I assume the mention of it means it differs from a standard bogie in some form. What weight would the “bogie” be on a standard 6x2 tractor unit rated for 44 tonne work?

Mazzer2:

Mick Bracewell:

A mid lift steer will save on tyre scrub to a certain degree but there are about another 18 inspection points on PSV over a non steer, an easier way to save tyre scrub is get it set so that regardless of weight you can lift it for manoeuvring at low speeds. If weight is an issue it is possible replace the standard size mid lift with the smaller axle and wheels which are non steering.

Thanks mazer2. Do you know if a fixed mid-lift can be raised temporarily on the new-gen Scania tractor units? I hadn’t even considered that as a potential option as on our previous DAFs it wouldn’t let you raise the tag axle at all when fully loaded so I assumed it to be the case on other marques as well.

Mick Bracewell:

Mazzer2:

Mick Bracewell:

Thanks mazer2. Do you know if a fixed mid-lift can be raised temporarily on the new-gen Scania tractor units? I hadn’t even considered that as a potential option as on our previous DAFs it wouldn’t let you raise the tag axle at all when fully loaded so I assumed it to be the case on other marques as well.

To be honest I’m not sure exactly how it is done but I know people who had Volvo’s and R series Scania’s that were set to lift at full weight but once a certain speed was reached it automatically dropped back down again. I would assume it is to do with the software, not sure about new gen Scania’s and whether Scania would do it for you they seem to be getting stricter as to what they will and won’t do regards software settings

The 19t bogie is referring to the combined plated axle weights of axles 2 &3 . The rear will be 11.5t so this means that axle 2 is plated at 7.5t rather than 7t or 7.2t which are common options from manufacturers. The difference may only be in the load index rating of the tyres fitted to the mid lift. There have been posts on here from operators who have been caught out at MOT with insufficiently rated tyres fitted to axle 2.

If this is a new vehicle then you do need to speak to the sales dept about this because they will have computer programs from Scania which will go into things like the effect of different optional extras and 5th wheel pin position upon axle weights etc. Trying to work this out yourself even if you can get the vital details will be a task you can do without.

Spoke to a friend you had a Volvo set so that the driver had total control over when the lift axle was dropped it was done through the software however although done by a Volvo dealer it was not done officially as it allowed the driver to break the law regarding axle weights so it would appear that unless you have an onside dealer they may not do it, cost £250 for the privilege.

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I will speak to the dealer on Monday to find out more.

Scania mid lifts do not raise fully when loaded, though obviously you can transfer weight off said mid lift below (if i recall correctly) 20mph loaded so tyre scrub isn’t really an issue should you end up with a non second steer, weights imposed on mid lift and rear come up on the dash whilst weight is transferring…handy feature that because once you’ve used an axle weigher and know what you real axle weights are you can make use of the air transfer reading to give you a fairly decent idea of weights imposed in the future if you should have an awkward load or use various trailers.

You ask about difference in scrub between fixed and steered, i’ve driven both sorts for years and there’s very little difference for me, but i dump the mid lift air at every opportunity presented, that’s extending the life of the mid lift tyres by some 3X the wear rates of others in the fleet, also cuts down on drive axle scrub due to wheelspin, as with so many things its the driver, if allowed some control, that makes the difference.

MAN and Daf mid lifts do raise fully after a few seconds when loaded for maneuvering and slippery starts etc.

You might be surprised just how heavy a new gen Scanny is compared to the old model, similar spec is getting on for 500kg heavier so might be worth getting a potential purchase weighed beforehand.
MAN and Daf are considerably lighter.