Heavy Duty Battery Jump Start Leads?

Can somebody explain.I want buy heavy Duty Battery Jump Start Leads .Because when stay in truck for weekend and night heater work that can be flat battery.How many AMP must have good cable???And how many CC have Volvo engine(about 470 h/p)If you have some new or second hand cable for sale that sent me PM and you location.I can come to you this weekend and buy.Are this one can good or not■■?

Link to jump leads advert on eBay

Thank.

Last flat battery I had…

In a service area north of Bordeaux. Some flip flop suggested he come alongside and start me from the ABS lead. To be fair, I thought he was joking or confused.

I was most impressed when my motor started up after 10 seconds of being connected.

They’ll be fine. The problems come if you have to crank the engine on the flat vehicle for ages, eventually the cables warm up and the insulation melts.

Don’t buy longer than you need as longer wires cause more voltage drop.

ABS lead works but can take a while if the battery is very flat. There is scope for melting or blowing fuses.

Own Account Driver:
They’ll be fine. The problems come if you have to crank the engine on the flat vehicle for ages, eventually the cables warm up and the insulation melts.

ABS lead works but can take a while if the battery is very flat. There is scope for melting or blowing fuses.

Present (ex Stobart truck) have as well socket for tail lift .What is better connect for battery direct or connect for this socket?

Andrejs:

Own Account Driver:

Present (ex Stobart truck) have as well socket for tail lift .What is better connect for battery direct or connect for this socket?

Tail lift socket (anderson connector) is much quicker and safer.

Own Account Driver:

Can confirm that this is by far the best way. Simple connection, no battery cover messing :smiley:

dri-diddly-iver:

Own Account Driver:

Can confirm that this is by far the best way. Simple connection, no battery cover messing :smiley:

Agreed.
Plus. Why do vehicles no longer have voltmeters?
Plus. If you`re parking up for an extended period then why not run-up the engine to keep batteries topped up.

Franglais:

dri-diddly-iver:

Own Account Driver:

Agreed.
Plus. Why do vehicles no longer have voltmeters?
Plus. If you`re parking up for an extended period then why not run-up the engine to keep batteries topped up.

As I’ve said before, I don’t know why trucks can’t have separate starter and leisure batteries, then the truck would still start no matter how flat the leisure battery became.

Thank for answer.Yesterday looking in internet.But today found in one local shop 5 metre 1200 amp cable for 29.99 with good brand.May be 5 metre to long but sometime it is better than short.

Have a 8 mtr 1200 amp pair of jump leads, lasted me for years and got me out of trouble many of times.
If you jump one of the new style trucks put all the lights on to avoid a spike when the alternator kicks in and leave the lights on for a while.

I use to have them to start reefers when you picked them up from the docks.

Andrejs:
Thank for answer.Yesterday looking in internet.But today found in one local shop 5 metre 1200 amp cable for 29.99 with good brand.May be 5 metre to long but sometime it is better than short.

5 metres may be ok, but if batteries are on “wrong” side of both trucks then wont be enough Id say.

5 metre cable capable of handling 1200A of power for £29.99?

Do you have any comprehension of how thick that cable would have to be if it was really rated for 1200A? Its over a square inch for the conductor.

speed is your enemy, run the downer truck for a while and before you turn the key to start put the headlights on, if its still slow to turn, off with the lights get the gas out make a cup of tea, she will be ready once you have drunk it,as said before you turn the key, on with the lights.

I remember once when I had two sets of heavy duty leads but they just weren’t long enough to get to the dead truck, I found some rebar lying around and made up a 30’ long connection :smiley:

Conor:

Do you have any comprehension of how thick that cable would have to be if it was really rated for 1200A? Its over a square inch for the conductor.

May be check later it good or not but looking who packing not wrong.

I had a simular set, they were crap tbh.
The cable looks thick, but its mainly the rubber coating.

They will do in emergency, as long as you let the other truck charge your battery, without starting yours for 10 minutes or so.
Started trucks in the past with a pair of cheap car jump leads.

caledoniandream:
They will do in emergency, as long as you let the other truck charge your battery, without starting yours for 10 minutes or so.
Started trucks in the past with a pair of cheap car jump leads.

Anyway for me don t need start truck with this cable everyday .Most time this can happened then stay for weekend in truck abroad.If running engine morning and eveneng for at least 30 minut than should be no problem.

They’ll be fine.

Conor:

What is the point of this comment?

Is it to try and convince people you’re an electrical expert?

If so, do many electrical experts think power is measured in amps?