Heatwave !

It is so hot here this week I saw a rat in a deck chair the other day (sunbathing) … so on tuesday evening as I headed down to NYC to preload a trailer for some lazy git my A/C pooped the bed. I stopped for fuel at a pilot and noticed A/C top up hoses on sale for $14.95, I picked one up but couln’t find any cans of freon, when I asked where they were was told ‘We don’t have any in stock’ I put the hose back on the shelf after all what good is one without the other. It was so hot (105f) that as I travelled further down the road I pondered on diverting to another stop to buy the complete set but time did not allow it. At the refinery and in the tank wash the cab cooled down a bit then I discovered the alternator belt had snapped … Ah ! I thought so the A/C compressor is not turning and thats why it doesn’t work ! Good job I didn’t waste money on the fix it kit. Bad news was when our trusted call out guy ‘Emery’ came to fix it he discovered the compressor had ceased up, he had to unbolt it, move it out of the way and fit a short belt to run the alternator so I had power but had to cook when I went to bed that night. Windows and all vents open fully and it was like laying in a sauna to sleep. Luckly I work for a good company who see the need in not getting heat sickness. Weds I loaded for Ben & Jerrys, drove 2.5 hours to Albany and the nice bloke stayed overtime to fit a new compressor… Ice cold :sunglasses:

They should let caledonian dream,and all those who don’t think that air con should’nt be used when not running, park up in the heat and humidity of an eastern US summer and see if they’d then change their mind about idling time to run the air con assuming they’d even have it fitted. :open_mouth: :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56333&hilit=van+den+bosh&start=1500#p904933

It has been mental hot this week, I had a few days off and didn’t even bother going out on Monday, far too hot and my choice of a black car was coming back to haunt me :laughing:

My A/C packed up last summer in California, it was 46c at one point, I phoned in and the bossman said to get it fixed asap, my reload was booked for that evening so I didn’t have time to ■■■■ about getting it done that day, I ran with the windows down, but that was like being in front of a hairdryer and I had far too many creatures coming in the cab. As per my boss’s instructions I checked into a hotel that night and booked the truck in to Peterbilt in Vegas to get it done, unfortunately they were too busy, so I bought the parts (compressor and pump) and got a mobile mechanic to fit them, it was a couple of days of torture, I can believe I used to run down to Greece etc in the summer without A/C, must be getting soft in my old age :blush:

newmercman:
It has been mental hot this week, I had a few days off and didn’t even bother going out on Monday, far too hot and my choice of a black car was coming back to haunt me :laughing:

My A/C packed up last summer in California, it was 46c at one point, I phoned in and the bossman said to get it fixed asap, my reload was booked for that evening so I didn’t have time to [zb] about getting it done that day, I ran with the windows down, but that was like being in front of a hairdryer and I had far too many creatures coming in the cab. As per my boss’s instructions I checked into a hotel that night and booked the truck in to Peterbilt in Vegas to get it done, unfortunately they were too busy, so I bought the parts (compressor and pump) and got a mobile mechanic to fit them, it was a couple of days of torture, I can believe I used to run down to Greece etc in the summer without A/C, must be getting soft in my old age :blush:

If you read my comments in that Van Den Bosh topic I went to Sardinia and then went to Le Mans on the way back to see the classic race last July with the Jag.It was 42 C at Le Mans so you can guess what it was like in Sardinia :open_mouth: :laughing: .I’d left the air con off when I put the bigger motor in as could’nt be bothered with all the time,expense and aggro involved in putting it all back.But I soon changed my mind about wether that had been a good idea before I’d even reached Switzerland on the outward run :open_mouth: :laughing: .But the mixture of heat and humidity during most Summers in the Eastern States,is usually in a different league to anything you’ll find outside of Malaya.

Can remember being in the Southern States in June during a run from NY to Florida during the 1980’s and needed the wipers on in dry weather just because of the condensation on the outside of the windscreen caused by 40 C + and around 95 % humidity outside compared to what the air con kept the inside at.

Can also remember the ‘difference’ when getting of out of the car in Las Vegas in 50 C +. :open_mouth: So not soft just sensible. :wink:

For some reason it is different over here :question: In the past I could do Europe or even North Africa without A/C but this heat is more like a turkish bath.
Mine was up and running fine again and thursday afternoon I ran down to NYC again to do two preloads for guys, then hit the sack about 10.00pm with the curtains closed, engine idled up a bit and A/C full on in sleeper and cab. I woke up at midnight to feel hat again and checked the vents to find hot air comming out :exclamation: I almost cried … then I found that somehow an item from the dash had fallen and tripped the switch, I switched it all back on and it worked but I was scared for a while.
Friday I had to preload a couple of trailers for incomming drivers then load mine for delivery monday night (long weekend LOL). One of our drivers who’s A/C had failed a few weeks ago and I had given my dash fan to help still had no A/C and was exhausted, he was preloading two loads. When I came to load my own trailer I found his truck hooked to a trailer with the product hoses attatched in the tank wash and no sign of him, I found him collapsed in the wash attendants office. After bringing him round he refused to go to hospital and I got permission with the refinery to let him sit in the shipping offices while I finished off his tank wash sequence. I emailed management and asked them to get his truck A/C up and running asap.
It was 116f there yesterday. :open_mouth:

The ironic thing is it was a very bearable 106 in AZ yesterday.
Very little humidity, and a good breeze.
I think the whole world has gone mad :open_mouth: