Heated windscreen wash

heatshot.co.uk/index.html

Dunno if it’s any good or suitable for trucks, but I shall be trying it if I can’t get a Scania branded solution. Anyone use it? Volvos have heated washer bottles right? Seems strange as Scania don’t offer as standard fit. Pain in the arse stopping the truck to clean the windscreen.

What for a price tag of £106.98 i would sooner stick my head out of the window all day than pay that hideous price

I just bang a bottle of meths in with the winter screen wash

Presume you’re taking the mick when you mention a Scania branded version ? Buy the same as we use,good for minus 45c and costs 50p/litre no matter what truck it’s used in.Post me a cheque for 100 quid and I’ll happily send some :smiley:

The washers in my bog basic corsa never seem to freeze , well not since I put antifreeze in the bottle :confused: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve heard Volvos have heated washer bottles, presume this stops the lines freezing, just wondered if Scania offered something similar. They used to sell that pink screen wash at MSA’s when it started getting cold last year, haven’t seen it this year though, the blue stuff freezes even if used neat. Came to the fore the day before Christmas eve when I was temporarily lost on a snow covered single carriageway with a filthy, salt covered screen and a low sun making it entertaining going. I’ve ordered one anyway, if it doesn’t work in the truck i’ll stick it in my car, same problem there.

The Guardian Angel of owner drivers will be frothing at the mouth… £106.98p indeed!!! :imp: :laughing:

If you read it properly and look at the tech specs -
It doesn’t matter because it won’t work unless the screen wash is not frozen in the bottle
If it was a bottle heater it may be better - but if the lines on the truck are frozen a jet of steam won’t clear them
Car lines are maybe 2 foot long - trucks are upto 6 feet long lol
can’t see it clearing them
cheers
Steve

As said before get the lowest teperature you can add a bottle of meths this does soften the wiper rubbers eventually but we keep a spare set with us all year anyway.
"nd wrap the washer pipes around you heater pipes & power steerinh these are usually warm if all else fails have a sray bottle full of meths.
if you cant cope give up & let someone who can :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:
Rich

In 1977 I had a MIni-van. I gave it heated washers. Just disconnected the washer tubing between the (manual) pump & the jets. Added an additional length of tubing & wrapped it tight around the heater supply hose for about 9" The reservoir was close to the engine so used to thaw out easily.

Don’t forget on a truck the jets will freeze & pulling the pipes off the jets can help a lot.

I’ve been using Dutch Shell Winter screen wash in my wagon. It claims to be good for -20 and hasn’t frozen up so far this winter.
I got a big bottle of -60 from an Aral last year, but that was € :open_mouth: , even for 10 litres.
It lasted all year though, well watered down once it got above +10 :sunglasses:

Ordered some screen cleaner off the delectable Jenny as well, should be up to the job if used neat.

jennychem.com/7-cold-weather-antifreeze

That blue pish they sell in MSA’s is just not fit for purpose, i’m convinced it’s just blue water, it doesn’t even have a temperature rating on the label, like I say last year they broke out the pink heavy duty stuff but this year, none to be seen.

Silver_Surfer:
Ordered some screen cleaner off the delectable Jenny as well, should be up to the job if used neat.

jennychem.com/7-cold-weather-antifreeze

That blue pish they sell in MSA’s is just not fit for purpose, i’m convinced it’s just blue water, it doesn’t even have a temperature rating on the label, like I say last year they broke out the pink heavy duty stuff but this year, none to be seen.

I’m not too impressed by that Jennychem screenwash spec’. All it says is

CONCENTRATED heavy duty windscreen washer additive, contains antifreeze thus helps to prevent jets from freezing and leaves windscreens clear and smear free

It doesn’t even give a temperature rating.

Those German supermarkets (the ones that get the driver to self tip at their RDCs) were selling some pretty good stuff, in 5lt containers for a couple of quid before it got really cold. I expect they’ll have run out by now, it’ll be worth nipping in and trying though.
That stuff they sell in MSAs will be the same as everything else they sell in MSAs, overpriced rubbish. The fact that its for sale in an MSA should have fore-warned you of that.

Remember the 7Ps. This winter weather comes round, at about this time, every year. Shop around in autumn, check temp’ ratings and price. You want screenwash that’s good for at least -15, preferably better because when you park up for the night it can get really cold and freeze your washer bottle and lines. Once they’re frozen you’ll be lucky to get them thawed out.

Hand up to not being prepared… In my defence it is the coldest December since records began. I’d gamble the stuff from Jenny will do the job though as it’s neat and has anti freeze in it, i’ll post the rating when I get it.

Silver_Surfer:
Hand up to not being prepared… In my defence it is the coldest December since records began. I’d gamble the stuff from Jenny will do the job though as it’s neat and has anti freeze in it, i’ll post the rating when I get it.

A likely story :laughing: :laughing:
I’m dubious about that ‘coldest December since records began’ statistic.
My wife remembers the sea freezing at Clacton, and it needs to be bloody cold for that to happen.
AND it didn’t happen this winter, so it can’t have been that cold at Clacton, yet.
Obviously if the sea hasn’t frozen at Clacton like it has done in living memory, then it can’t possibly be the coldest December on record :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Simon:
Those German supermarkets (the ones that get the driver to self tip at their RDCs) were selling some pretty good stuff, in 5lt containers for a couple of quid before it got really cold. I expect they’ll have run out by now, it’ll be worth nipping in and trying though.

Email from Lidl they will be doing them again from Thursday 13th Jan. Clicky

I can only confirm this for Glasgow area, but that link should allow you to check a local store.
If you want some I suggest going there about 30 mins before closing on Wed the 12th, all the
stuff for Thursday will be out on the shop floor and you get it before anyone else gets in. :laughing:

Simon:

Silver_Surfer:

My wife remembers the sea freezing at Clacton, and it needs to be bloody cold for that to happen.
AND it didn’t happen this winter, so it can’t have been that cold at Clacton, yet.
Obviously if the sea hasn’t frozen at Clacton like it has done in living memory, then it can’t possibly be the coldest December on record :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They were selling framed photographs of the harbour in Whitby frozen up, the very next day to it freezing :laughing:

real-whitby.co.uk/whitby-harbour-frozen

Wheel Nut:

Simon:

Silver_Surfer:

They were selling framed photographs of the harbour in Whitby frozen up, the very next day to it freezing :laughing:

real-whitby.co.uk/whitby-harbour-frozen

Ah come on, that was in January and it’s fresh water cos its the River Esk.
Don’t be a spoilsport and bring true facts into the argument :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: