Heart breaking....truly heart breaking!

Check these snaps I took yesterday in the Stairfoot area of Barnsley. Obviously the pride and joy of her driver once upon a time. The old boy who currently owns her says that there was very little wrong with her when he got her, and he drove her to where she rests now.
Now, many years later… other than the engine, front lower grille and bumper, headlamps and batts, the unit was pretty much complete. The tyres were excellent, and whilst I could not get access to the interior, I could clearly see that it was in fine fettle, with all its original fittings in situ. The seats were totally unmarked, as was the bunk and the dash just needed a dust and polish.

I was going to post on the ‘Graveyard’ thread, but surely this wagon hasn’t got to that stage yet…surely.

I’m no mechanic, but I would have thought that in comparison to some projects, it wouldnt take a great deal to get her back on the road…for work OR play.

No batts, but easily sorted?

Driver obviously had a sense of humour

I was told that the engine was sold off to Tanzania of all places…no doubt still running today. By the way, not sure if its an optical illusion or what, but the mirrors myseriously dissapeared for this shot…spooky or what :open_mouth:

Still an imposing wagon, even in this condition. Restored, would command authority, and envyous glares on any rally scene…and look, as if by magic, the mirrors suddenly re-appear… :question:

Im sure someone somewhere will know a bit about this wagon?

Thanks for looking.

HIya hilltop…the problem is the owner will want maybe £650 for the erf scrap value at £200 at ton.
you’ll maybe have to pay out £1000 for a ■■■■■■■ L10 engine closer to 2000 for a 14 litre. then £600
for a gearbox. these are all exportable, the headlight panel with grill and lights will cost the best
end of £500 from a scrappy if ther’er in nice condition,now wer’er up to £2.750 ish. you’ll need a
new clutch at £750.plus you need to fit these bits fix the techo get a mot … now the crunch
she’ll only be worth £2500 complete infact i could have had a simular truck on three axels last month
for £1200…i know what you mean shes a nice motor but all the good bits have long gone. i know you
said she was to good for the graveyard site but she’s alot closer than you think…maybe someone will
buy and restore her and i hope so …now she’s been posted on TN she stands a better chance… if she
was a mk5 AEC a F88 or somthing older people would jump at her.Still nice to see thanks for posting’
try posting the ERF on the A…B…C series ERF site somone may like her on that site.
John

Was the motor ex buckleys of sheffield,looks like there colours but the reg suggests new to humberside.Any thoughts?

brothertonmick:
Was the motor ex buckleys of sheffield,looks like there colours but the reg suggests new to humberside.Any thoughts?

I reckon you are right Mick,Buckley’s of Eckington ran ERFs and I knew one of their drivers,Keith.It’s a Lincoln reg,formerly Grimsby and looks in good nick,Keith always looked after his wagons.Some work was done out of Renishaw Foundry by Buckleys and there is somebody on here,Revman,who knew or knows Keith,maybe he can confirm the motor?

yeah im certain its a old un of jim buckleys,hes got a man tga now but his lad is still running a mint erf ect.

Been over to Buckley’s today and bought a twin splitter out of an ex air products EC14 ,got it stripped down at home it looks faultless :laughing:

I agree with Dan, very sad to see. Makes me wonder why it was scrapped or abandoned when it was still well able to work, we really do have such a throw away nature in this country.

Kempston:
I agree with Dan, very sad to see. Makes me wonder why it was scrapped or abandoned when it was still well able to work, we really do have such a throw away nature in this country.

If you’ve ever tried to take a perfectly sound, elderly lorry through a test centre you’ll know who are the throw-away culprits in this country! :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

Kempston:

If you’ve ever tried to take a perfectly sound, elderly lorry through a test centre you’ll know who are the throw-away culprits in this country! :wink:

I agree, my previous car was 10 years old, 70,000 miles not a mark on it inside and out drove like a new car but when I went to buy a new one they scrapped the old one with the government scrappage scheme, even the bloke at the dealership was annoyed as there was nothing he could do. Such a waste.

Kempston:

ERF-NGC-European:

Kempston:

I agree, my previous car was 10 years old, 70,000 miles not a mark on it inside and out drove like a new car but when I went to buy a new one they scrapped the old one with the government scrappage scheme, even the bloke at the dealership was annoyed as there was nothing he could do. Such a waste.

Why does this happen? I suggest it is due to big-business lobbying of politicians (by waving wodges of dosh at them) by industries that stand to gain. We’ve heard about lobbying quite a bit recently…

Dipster:

Kempston:

ERF-NGC-European:

Kempston:

Why does this happen? I suggest it is due to big-business lobbying of politicians (by waving wodges of dosh at them) by industries that stand to gain. We’ve heard about lobbying quite a bit recently…

100% right, Sir. Industry is just used as a means of bolstering the “economy”, so the piled-up 10%'s, that the unseen parasites take, increase year-on-year. It’s nothing to do with progress any more. The quality that mass-produced machinery adds to life does not increase, as things change with successive product updates; not any more. Elsewhere on the Forum, there is a thread, on which everyone agreed that Peak Truck happened between 1990 and 2000. The same could be said for cars, bicycles and hi-fi equipment. Even home computers have been developed to a functional plateau. The machine at my fingertips dates from 2006; I have a “fleet” of them, plus one for spares.

On a brighter note, Happy New Year to all who support the preservation of old stuff!!!

Peak Truck 1990-2000 …that’s probably why there’s still a few Scania 143’s working for a living! spotted 2 in 1 day last week,one hauling a container,and one with a curtainsider :sunglasses:

3300John:
HIya hilltop…the problem is the owner will want maybe £650 for the erf scrap value at £200 at ton.
you’ll maybe have to pay out £1000 for a ■■■■■■■ L10 engine closer to 2000 for a 14 litre. then £600
for a gearbox. these are all exportable, the headlight panel with grill and lights will cost the best
end of £500 from a scrappy if ther’er in nice condition,now wer’er up to £2.750 ish. you’ll need a
new clutch at £750.plus you need to fit these bits fix the techo get a mot … now the crunch
she’ll only be worth £2500 complete infact i could have had a simular truck on three axels last month
for £1200…i know what you mean shes a nice motor but all the good bits have long gone. i know you
said she was to good for the graveyard site but she’s alot closer than you think…maybe someone will
buy and restore her and i hope so …now she’s been posted on TN she stands a better chance… if she
was a mk5 AEC a F88 or somthing older people would jump at her.Still nice to see thanks for posting’
try posting the ERF on the A…B…C series ERF site somone may like her on that site.
John

Good summary John.

There a plenty of ECs still about, either in active service abroad or on fairgrounds. There is no reason why the subject of this thread cannot be preserved as a source of spare parts for those vehicles, in the future. I bet there are not many “Mk1” EC doors or cab interiors about any more.

carryfast-yeti:
Peak Truck 1990-2000 …that’s probably why there’s still a few Scania 143’s working for a living! spotted 2 in 1 day last week,one hauling a container,and one with a curtainsider :sunglasses:

Peak car too, mostly, give or take 5 years either side depending on make and country of origin, Japanese especially conservative so you can go newer with some makes/models and still be able to fix them, just remember they arn’t the greatest for rust resistance because the Japanese have more sense than to use salt on the roads, rust preventative measures a must.

It makes one wonder if the scrappage scheme was part of the climate scam plans which are now materialising, i was on the transporters during that scappage debacle and some cars that we picked up were classics in the making, low mileage loved and cared for motors that us of limited means would have given our eye teeth to buy, criminal that they should have been scrapped when they had many years of good daily use ahead and would then go on to give pleasure to nostalgiac old buggers.
30k miler 3 series anyone, as new, Civics and Corollas barely run in real life one lady owner gems, lots more i can recall.

[zb]
anorak:

3300John:
John

Good summary John.

There a plenty of ECs still about, either in active service abroad or on fairgrounds. There is no reason why the subject of this thread cannot be preserved as a source of spare parts for those vehicles, in the future. I bet there are not many “Mk1” EC doors or cab interiors about any more.

That early interior was sickly ,they should of stuck with the push button handle be it higher or lower it was better than the pull out snap off one of which I sold a pair last yr for £200 :open_mouth: