Heart Attacks & LGV License

Had a mild heart attack a fortnight ago today. Admitted to hospital and had an angiogram and angioplasty, a week ago today - they inserted a stent into the right artery of my heart. Discharged myself last Saturday coz I was getting bored lying in bed all day!

I’m fine now but I’ve just been informed that I’ve lost my LGV license for 3 months. Has this happened to anybody else? Whats the procedure for getting it back?

Also, the week before the main heart attack, had a series of chest pains every day for that week, as well as a speeding ticket. I can’t, for the life of me, remember being on the stated road at the said time. Could I claim mitigating circumstances about the speeding ticket or should I just take it on the chin?

If you can have the licence back in 3 months you are very lucky :exclamation:
My Mate has a mild attack some years ago and lost it for 10 years, he had to go that period with no more signs of trouble. :exclamation:

On the second question I would plead mittigating circumstances and see what happens, it’s worth a try as you have now lost your livelyhood. :exclamation:

Brummie,

dischargeing yourself was the last thing you should have done. from memory you will have disclose this on you re application form and you probably will still have to have another medical.

If you have only lost your LGV license fell yourself lucky, others have lost their DRIVING license for 3 months and longer.

It is normal procedure after any serious illness

As regards not remembering what road you were on can’t you look back on your paperwork?

One of the blokes at my work had an accident that involved a bad head injury. The doctor told him he had to send his licence to DVLA…so he did.

Although he made a complete recovery it still took over a year before DVLA would give him his licence back!! He was told (very unofficially) that he should’ve just held on to it until they (DVLA) demanded it from him.

It is not as easy as you think, you will be monitored for a time, have to go on the tread mill and for L.G Vs, they stick an extra wire on to make it harder. I do not know anyone of late who has had the license back in under a year. its usually the car license first that is given back after a medical etc. Good Luck tho.
Danneke

A non-truck driver friend of mine recently had a mild epileptic fit, nothing serious and not debilitating but he has lost his licence for twelve months, and if he has another do in that year he loses it for three minimum.

Not making a judgement here, I guess Heart attacks, whilst equally serious are easier to diagnose and treat, but then in all things medical, its never better than an educated guess. :confused:

Best wishes to you.

At least it is only for 3 months look after yourself there is nothing you can do about it, always ask for the photo i did and it was Mrs dafman :laughing: :laughing:

i think you need to look no further than trucknets very own MAL,(albeit he is no longer on the forums)

but take care whatever the seriousness of your problems.

:wink:

good luck brummie. :wink:

Yes good luck brummie :smiley:

Sorry to hear about your trouble and I hope you get well again soon. One of the chaps where I work is currently under a suspension for ongoing heart problems. He had an attack back in 2000, was off a year but got his licence back. About 5 Months ago he felt some pains in his chest sought medical advice and they advised minor surgery (Stent) he also of course had to surrender his LGV licence to DVLA.
3 weeks ago he took his treadmill test and the results from the medical staff were positive. He is looking forward to getting his licence back quite soon. One tip he used to good effect was to go for some walks getting longer each time to build up fitness prior to the test, that could be a good start for you. If you are not fit enough to achieve the required score on the treadmill test they will not return tyour licence and there is a strict time limit before you can take the test again.

As for the speeding allegation you could ask for advice here :

http://pepipoo.com/NewForums2/index.php

Some really switched on people get in there.

Thanks for the responses! The DVLA site reckons it will take 90 days before they can return the license. Looks like I’ll have to open a burger van or become a ‘jobsworth’ Security Guard in the meantime!

The best advice I can give you is

remember the heart is a muscle and like any other muscle will get stronger with excercise, walking, swimming and cycling are all good.

If you can join a gym club do so, I did and I used the treadmill and wieghts, yes wieghts but only about 4k, everyday and every muscle in my body was excercised and if you are overwieght get it down, if you are a smoker, quit now

Brum
Don’t be surprised if you don’t get it back, you will have to have a medical before you get it back, you will probably have an ECG.
Remember Derek Jones and his heart, well he has lost his LGV Licence altogether.

Been on the phone to Cardiac Rehab today, they confirm most of what ‘keelman’ says, and more…! Got to give up smoking, eat more fruit and veg, reduce my cholesterol, lose weight and exercise regularly.

What are you saying Dave? Derek Jones is at least twice my age! Its not the ECG I’m worried about, its those firkin needles. I was having 4-5 jabs a day even though I had one of those ‘ventflow’ things stuck in the back of my hand - they never used the flipping thing once!