Heart attack & DVLA

hi back in 2000 i had dead arm syndrome over christmas so off to docks in new year, packed off to hospital two stents, six weeks for tread mill test then another six for final decision. All ok licence reduced to 3 years then medical and treadmill test again, this continued every three years. But dvla took longer every time last one took treadmill in august finaly got licence in the march. Although i recieved a letter stating i could continue to drive C +E in uk (not a lot of use to a european driver) So fast forward to 11 july 2011 had heart attack while at work, so into hospital quick, two more stents plus come back in sept for two more. Quite annoyed that even having blood tests every 4 months nothing gave an indication of what was about to happen.So job done no complaints even food ok. After quite a few phone calls to dvla letter saying hospital can arrange treadmill test arrived today 10/11/2011. so i will post again as i progress through the paperwork trail, i was disheartend by some of the times suggested by some of the old posts to deal with dvla but it seems ok so far.

I spoke to my doc regarding the high cholesterol etc, he told me that if i ever needed anything like what you explained then he could arrange for all those tests to be done at his surgery all within the same day within 1 week of reporting the problem to him. He says he can get all the equipment brought in specially. Apparantly it’s cheaper for him to do it this way than to go to the hospital? Good luck with the tests, :open_mouth:

I had a heart attack on 6th July; two stents fitted.
DVLA got in touch with me and my consultant very quickly. I had my treadmill on 26th September.
Still waiting for the go ahead to be able to drive; I’m a little impatient but in all honesty I can’t really fault the DVLA at the moment.
That may change if things drag on but I’ve got to say they have been very helpful and have at least written to me to give updates.

I had a heart attack in June, the day after posting off my LGV C Provisional application. Informed the DVLA on 19th July when I came out of hospital ( double bypass, complications after surgery - severe chest infection, respiratory failure and Pulmonary Embolism ), and even now, 5 and half months later, I’m still waiting for a decision. On the 3rd November I put a complaint into the DVLA regarding how long it is taking, they replied with something about an exceptional workload but they’ll try to get it through quicker, then yesterday I received another letter saying they need to speak to my consultant (they spoke to him at the beginning of October) and it could take some time to deal with. I’m doubtful of seeing my licence this side of Christmas.

It looks like NHS did a good job keeping everybody alive!

I have no complaints there, they have been first class in my opinion. i could have had an ambulance if i wanted in july instead of driving to a&e in my truck. i did not intend to go in the truck but was passing so called in, glad i did. no one minded the truck being there as i did park sensibly.

harry:
It looks like NHS did a good job keeping everybody alive!

The NHS do a brilliant job, it’s the out of hours service that caused me some grief. Rang them as my heart attack happened on a Saturday, my GP surgery closed so put through to out of hours service (private company called Harmoni), the Dr I spoke to arranged an Ambulance and gave them the wrong address. So both the Ambulance and Paramedic spent 10mins sitting outside an empty house.

i had the letter from dvla monday saying wait 7 days and phone hospital for treadmill test.thursday got a call from the hospital they have an appointment available for next monday. accepted that things are looking up. the gloom is lifting.

had the treadmill test today 17.30. doc says no probs will post results to dvla in the morning, so now only the waiting for their reply, with luck same as before medical and treadmill every three years, hope by then my research will be concluded and i wont need to bother,

hotel magnum:
had the treadmill test today 17.30. doc says no probs will post results to dvla in the morning, so now only the waiting for their reply, with luck same as before medical and treadmill every three years, hope by then my research will be concluded and i wont need to bother,

Glad it went ok for you, and the Doc was able to give you some positive information which is always a bonus so it looks like you ■■■■■■ it :sunglasses: but don’t get your hopes up for a speedy reponse, I had a DVLA treadmill ECG in September, it was 8 weeks before I got a reponse from DVLA to the results, they first claimed not to have recieved the results so the hospital had to resend them (regular thing apparently, it helps the DVLA waiting time statistics :imp: ), so keep onto the [zb]s.

well christmas has come early this year letter from dvla says i can continue to drive, all good there then, OH but i am unemployed now. still at least until 2012 anyway and worry about it then, i hope everybody has a good christmas and 2012 sees you all well and things are looking up for you as they are for me. good luck.

hotel magnum:
well christmas has come early this year letter from dvla says i can continue to drive, all good there then, OH but i am unemployed now. still at least until 2012 anyway and worry about it then, i hope everybody has a good christmas and 2012 sees you all well and things are looking up for you as they are for me. good luck.

Result!!! :sunglasses: and only four weeks for the decision, Merry Christmas yer jammy git :grimacing: , wish the [zb]s would get a wiggle on and make their mind up over me :confused:

bit of a downer today.whilst looking to return to work i applied to the aa to return for the summer peroid 2012 as a recovery driver but have been turned down. probably due to the heart attack i had whilst there last year. so onward and upward something will turn up im sure.

I should imagine you are feeling down chap but take a look back at what you’ve been through AND come through and you can still drive so that has to be something eh.
I suppose it’s easy to say but something will turn up.

Why don’t you chuck a little of your work history up here and where you are,someone may hear of something eh.

ShropsBri:
I should imagine you are feeling down chap but take a look back at what you’ve been through AND come through and you can still drive so that has to be something eh.

Yes you’ve been lucky with a fast turn around, I’ve been off the road since March 2011, last scan they did was November, still waiting for some [zb] at Swansea to look at the results, this is despite me calling twice them aweek for an update :angry:

had a call yesterday from a previous employer offering a start, not sure yet if its tramping with fridge motor or back on the bang, but first run monday is germany with a new man truck as the driver is on holiday,the shame of it is the 59 plate magnum i used to drive was in a bad accident today on the m4 so thats not an option now, but any truck will do as he does not have a bad one,looking forward to returning to full time work in the best driving job i have had.

first run done, double manned down to augsburg area and collect for portsmouth, usual driver on hols so took a new man xxl, nice truck but not a lot of room for passenger, had to use an old freuhauf box trailer as the late finnish ekeri with doors down the side got rear ended on m4 on friday afternoon so not so good now but better than magnum unit that got pushed into rear of another truck, damage looks terminal, scania rigid at the back was much shorter and cherry picker on the back hit the back of the cab with a hefty whack, so looked very bad, only seen photos but cannot think how to get them on here as not got a scanner.