Health Insurance

Hi all,

This is 1st time I’ve posted on this site so don’t really know what to do as yet. However, I have a question. I’ve just got a continental driving job + some Southern Ireland and in case of injury or sickness whilst abroad does employer’s insurance cover me or do I need E111? :confused:
Cheers Penfold.

Hi Penfold and welcome. There are loads of answers to your question as nearly everybody has different types of insurance cover.
Basically, get an E111 anyway. It only gives basic medical cover and it depends upon what country you visit as to what it will pay for and how you go about claiming. That said it is pretty painless to get; go to Post Office, fill-in form including your NI number, have form stamped and job done. Most insurance companies insist that you have an E111 anyway, when was the last time you found an insurance company that wanted to pay out?
With regards to your employers insurance, do they actually have medical insurance or are you thinking about Employers Liability Insurance? The latter definitely won’t cover you for medical problems. If your employer does provide medical cover get a copy of the policy and read it, especially the bit about exemptions, also check the level of cover. Medical claims get expensive very quickly. I’m covered by insurance provided with my bank current account. It covers working abroad and there can be any number of trips provided they are not greater than 60 days in duration. There are loads of reasonably priced policies around but make sure you tell the insurer what your’re doing as some exclude commercial driving. Perhaps your employer could be persuaded to pay for your policy if they don’t already provide medical cover.
In the meantime have a safe trip and stay well.

Hi geebee45,

Thanks m8, that was a great help :smiley:

You can in addition to the E111 get an extra policy to cover medical bills etc. I have one through the RHA which costs me £75 a year and covers me for medical bills, sending a releif driver to recover the vehicle if I cannot drive it, flying me home to a hospital in this country should that be needed and if the very worst should happen getting my dead body back home as well. My policy covers me for Europe but there is a worldwide option available as well, There are other companies who provide the same sort of package.