Health And Safety

Just come back to Driving again after a four year spell as a Driving Instructor on cars. Its not got any better has it lol!!!

I was working on Agency for a well known cheapo supermarket all tail lifting into the front of the stores no loading bays or back doors here!

All the frozen food is in the front of the trailer for all 3 drops, so the chilled and ambient food has to be tail lifted off onto the street outside the store at the first drop, to get to the frozen off and and then chilled and ambient tail lifted back on again for the second and third drop. Some of the pallets can be 950kg and the road always has a bad camber outside the stores.

My question is how does the above comply with Health and safety requirements when I am hanging off the edge of the tail lift platform with a huge pallet and no loading bay staff to assist?

Needless to say two shifts was two too many and I am now on a different contract for the same Nationwide Logistics company. I went to one of their RDC’s at Daventry and was told the coffee machine had been taken out due to “Drivers walking accross the yard with hot drinks.” When I shrugged and said “the problem with that is■■?” I was simply told HEALTH AND SAFETY!

It would seem the Health and Safety Manager has his priorities wrong. What do you think?

Welcome to the site…

If you’re worried about it then ask to see the risk assessment for that task. The store will say it’s the depots job and vice versa.

Whoever gives in and promises one will be done will also be the person who calls the agency and tells them never to send you again.

My personal pet hate is tail lifts that can’t even fit a pallet and pallet truck on. Recipe for disaster!

The op should know all about the H&S and jobsworths in this industry and his own all have their priorities wrong.

roadtransport.com/blogs/road … rries.html

These two case were in Northern Ireland, but there have already been prosecutions in Scotland for driving instructors who were seen smoking in their own car, although that car becomes a driving school car during the week

good health and safety here youtube.com/watch?v=KYNrVI7BFdQ