Health and Safety lunacy

One saw mill I go to has a sign just before the weighbridge that says ‘drivers must remain in there vehicles at all times’ but you have to get out to give them your paperwork, then to remove your straps, then to sweep off and then to collect your paper work :laughing: :unamused:

scanny77:
i would like to know why the ‘victim’ appears to have no responsibility for their own safety. i delivered to…somewhere (no desire to cause them any hassles) with a forklift driver who admitted to not being a safe driver but he was a fast tipper so i was advised to stay out of the way as he didnt want to hit me in the forklift. no hiviz requirements and i was more than happy to keep an eye on him while i kept out of the way as my own safety is ultimately my responsibility and that is true for everyone. regulations will never prevent 100% of accidents, particularly those that arise from stupidity or recklessness

Or,if you don’t let the Forklift to the Trailer as long as the Forklift driver is not waring hi viz and Hard Hat

Teesport Container Terminal 2 Safety Rules include 1) All drivers must vacate their cabs whilst being loaded or unloaded; and 2) In the event of an Emergency, drivers should sound their vehicle’s horn to alert the crane operator.

Can anyone explain to me how exactly we’re supposed to reach our horns when said Emergency occurs and the ■■■■ thing is waving about in the air■■? :confused:

bubsy06:
One saw mill I go to has a sign just before the weighbridge that says ‘drivers must remain in there vehicles at all times’ but you have to get out to give them your paperwork, then to remove your straps, then to sweep off and then to collect your paper work :laughing: :unamused:

Same principle as “This door/gate must be kept closed at all times” that being the case, why have door/gate if it must not be opened?

Quinny:
I do bricks and blocks on the agency, and when I’m delivering to one particular very large national builders merchant, their rules insist that I wear a hard hat when I’m 12 foot up in the air on a top seat crane with 93 million miles of sky above me, but their customers can walk underneath me swinging a 1 tonne pack with only shorts and trainers on. :confused:

Ken.

Or their own employees. A case of don’t do as we do, do as we say.

Once I was told that I cannot get on my lorry to unstrap the load, but it was OK for them that I done it around the corner and drove onto the site (a bumpy construction site entrance) with my load insecure.

I told the H&S inspector that this is stupid, and he threteaned me that if I will be against H&S rules, he will ban me from the site, as I pose H&S risk.

So they can make any rules they want, even the stupid ones, and if you say that they are stupid, you will be banned.

I asked him how then I can complain about the rule which is stupid in my view, and he said I have to discuss it with H&S people.

Somehow I cannot imagine them saying “yes, you are right, we made this rule completely out of the blue, we have to scrap it, thank you, sir!” :unamused:

I have never understood that when your on a building site trousers would save your life but shorts wont :confused:

delivered astro turf to a school once , they were having some building work done so everybody had to go and see the h&s guy cant use your fork truck on site driver i was told ok i will send load back to belgium then , 5 mins thinking about this can you tipp it while we are at tea break

bubsy06:
I have never understood that when your on a building site trousers would save your life but shorts wont :confused:

its to stop nasty things running up your leg lol

bubsy06:

Well, that was what the Hungarian driver who was delivering to our place was thinking. Then one of the glass panels cracked and he was hit in his vein. He lost a lot of blood.

I have some scarfs (is that the right word?) after working for this glass place as well, and believe me, if I wasn’t wearing my trousers when I was around the glass being handled, I would have much more.

After few incidents, I started to wear my polar jacket with long sleeves even if it was warm…

But off course, i can’t see the reason to wear long trousers when construction works are on early stage and there is no glass there at all…

i agree with orys differant situations call for certain clothing but they all think we are to stupid to know this

orys:
I have some scarfs (is that the right word?)

Almost. Scars.

Scarf = long knitted woolly thing you wrap round your neck to keep warm in winter.

Driveroneuk:

orys:

Almost. Scars.

Scarf = long knitted woolly thing you wrap round your kneck to keep warm in winter.

orys:

Driveroneuk:

orys:

Almost. Scars.

Scarf = long knitted woolly thing you wrap round your kneck to keep warm in winter.

oops that’s wrong too. :blush: Neck!

It was decided at the place I worked that little ladders had to be provided so the warehousemen could climb onto the bed of a wagon in complete safety.

This applied to drivers too but H&S were horrified to see them using the sidebars as a ladder while gripping the vertical load retaining posts.

So it was pointed out to them that when at customers premises this was the only way they could do it and carrying stepladders about was impractible.

They thought about this for a time and said that ok that is part of a driver’s job.

So then it was pointed out that if it was safe while they were away from the factory, why wasn’t it ok when they were at the factory?

Another little think and they decided that drivers could use this method to board but warehousemen must use the ladders.

Thus we had warehousemen climbing up ladders while alongside them drivers were using sidebars and, apparently, everyone was happy. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:
It was decided at the place I worked that little ladders had to be provided so the warehousemen could climb onto the bed of a wagon in complete safety.

This applied to drivers too but H&S were horrified to see them using the sidebars as a ladder while gripping the vertical load retaining posts.

So it was pointed out to them that when at customers premises this was the only way they could do it and carrying stepladders about was impractible.

They thought about this for a time and said that ok that is part of a driver’s job.

So then it was pointed out that if it was safe while they were away from the factory, why wasn’t it ok when they were at the factory?

Another little think and they decided that drivers could use this method to board but warehousemen must use the ladders.

Thus we had warehousemen climbing up ladders while alongside them drivers were using sidebars and, apparently, everyone was happy. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

At least the story has a happy ending even if it doesn’t make sense.

I Have had a few run ins with the health and safety jobsworths you have to just laugh at them some times.
I was once told i can’t move my curtains on the trailer or take the boards off the side (it was a dutch trailer collected from a dock) while the forklift driver was tipping me, I was supposed to stay in the cab so i asked mr health and safety to walk to the drivers side of the lorry and asked him to stop the traffic driving past the lorry while the forklift driver was tipping that side of my trailer. I can do that he says its the main through fair for the rest of the depot it would cause a traffic jam. :unamused:

Who remembers the days of climbing on the FLT forks to get a ‘lift up’ onto the load/whatever? Try asking them that now and they look at you like you’ve just called their mother a slag. :open_mouth:

Squiddy:
or that case in Nottingham where the council hired a cherry picker to remove all the conkers from a tree incase someone threw a stick at it and injured someone

:question:

scanny77:

Happy Keith:

scanny77:
‘… i delivered … with a forklift driver who admitted to not being a safe driver but he was a fast tipper so i was advised to stay out of the way … i kept out of the way as my own safety is ultimately my responsibility…’

The Devil does his evil work within distorted detail.

Thus, it really should be appreciated that your safety is his responsibility too, which is why it’s illegal to ‘not bother’ although it’s true that you (me or he) could pay the ‘…ultimate…’ price with our health and/or lives :neutral_face:

surely warning me that he is a nutter on a forklift qualifies as taking my safety into account? he could have started running around like a madman with no warning whatsoever. my point is that individuals have to take responsibility for their own actions and no amount of red tape can or should remove accountability

Agreed 100%.