Health and Safety, Hay and Straw

Anyone on here who does hay and straw? How do you load in the middle of a field and comply with HSE regs? I used to do it years ago, used ladders or a ride on a tractor loader to get on top and lay the ropes out. Can’t see how it can be done in the field, without some kind of exemption.

Cheers

Andy.

Never used ropes when I did it, we used ratchet straps.

Just lobbed them over the top so there was no need to get on top of the load.

No need for H&S bollox “in the field” when you’re blessed with the ability to think for yourself anyway.

Now I could never get a bloody strap. Over off the ground … :blush:

One of the last jobs where a H&S ■■■■ isn’t likely to crawl out the woodwork, quick check around the horizon for the shoppers with cameras and you’re good to do your own thing.

HSE regulations are there to protect the terminally stupid, if you do not fit into the above category, I would be safe and crack on!

Throw ratchets straps over the top :smiley:

F-reds:
HSE regulations are there to protect the terminally stupid

Said that to a H&S berk. I told him that in the good old days the stupid would have been killed off and taken out of the gene pool with their own incompetence and that the world would be a much better place without them anyway.

He didn’t like it very much but never came back with an answer! :smiley:

Made my day anyway.

in the good old days the stupid would have been killed off

Agreed, but since no one wants to see blood, bones, and body bits, all over the news we are stuck with it.

I’m just glad I don’t work at one of these places, I don’t I could cope with the over bearing nature of the Safety Stasi!

Used to load bale (small bales) trailers when I was a kid…stand on top and position them as they were dropped on 8 at a time with a Brown’s Buzzard flat-eight grab.

The first time I did it, we finished loading and I asked how to get down.

The foreman said: “Close yer eyes and walk about.”

LOL, used to run two ropes front to back, when loading standard small handball bales. Top layer was one on edge down the middle, bale either side pointing outwards, rope down the middle of the outward pointing bales, pull the side to side ropes inbetween those bales, to catch the front to back ropes, so it gets everything down tight, hope that makes sense. Makes you pay attention whilst driving, big high load and an extra ton up front on the canopy over the cab. :open_mouth:

GasGas:
Used to load bale (small bales) trailers when I was a kid…stand on top and position them as they were dropped on 8 at a time with a Brown’s Buzzard flat-eight grab.

The first time I did it, we finished loading and I asked how to get down.

The foreman said: “Close yer eyes and walk about.”

Exactly, that’s how I used to do it, get to 8 or 9 layers, depending on the height of the bridges on the way home, rope it and off you go, carefully. :stuck_out_tongue: I am now anticipating whether I will be experienced enough to do the supermarket shopping trolley run, cos I’ve had a twenty year break, can’t beat farm work. :smiley:

I still do the little bales and usually get a lift down on the flat 8 or sometimes a ladder, even on the round bales you have to get on top to put the front to back straps on,all good fun.

The most memorable lorry I drove on the straw job was this: flickr.com/photos/22455491@N02/3225520057/ It’s all a long story, how I got to work with Bill Hall, read the text under the photo and you will get an idea of what he was like. I don’t have any photos of my own unfotunately. You can see the brackets on the front bumper where the canopy bolted on for carting bales. The diy chinese six config was great for the bale job with canopy over the cab, the front end didn’t dive when braking or cornering. Not exactly luxury or high performance, the power steering was always a bit dodgy, :laughing: but it made a good driver of you. :smiley: RIP Bill Hall :frowning:

AECwheelnut:
LOL, used to run two ropes front to back, when loading standard small handball bales. Top layer was one on edge down the middle, bale either side pointing outwards, rope down the middle of the outward pointing bales, pull the side to side ropes inbetween those bales, to catch the front to back ropes, so it gets everything down tight, hope that makes sense. Makes you pay attention whilst driving, big high load and an extra ton up front on the canopy over the cab. :open_mouth:

Spot on, use to do it exactly same way.

AECwheelnut:
Anyone on here who does hay and straw? How do you load in the middle of a field and comply with HSE regs? I used to do it years ago, used ladders or a ride on a tractor loader to get on top and lay the ropes out. Can’t see how it can be done in the field, without some kind of exemption.

Cheers

Andy.

Exemption from what? HSE would only get involved if there is an accident.
Yes every one has gone health and safety mad, but it’s only company policy that stops you getting onto a trailer.

weeto:

AECwheelnut:

Cheers

Andy.

Exemption from what? HSE would only get involved if there is an accident.
Yes every one has gone health and safety mad, but it’s only company policy that stops you getting onto a trailer.

Ah, that explains it then, I thought it was odd that it would be infringing the regulations, because it would make roping and sheeting impossible on site, thanks for that. :smiley: