Health and safety and drivers and vehicles ? (long post)

we all should know what health and safety is by now as the country has been going mad on it ever since it was introduced, but how does it effect us.
toe tectors and high viz jackets ■■?. ok so i know there is more to it than that but i have a point to this post.

health and safety says something like.
the empoyer and the employees and YOU have a responsibility to ensure the safety of you and others around you (in the workplace) or something on them lines anyhow.
so this means to me that the employer must make your working enviroment as safe a possible whilst still allowing you to do the job.

1st point.
if we take a look at an average fleet of trucks then you you find some modern up to date trucks with abs, seatbelts and even airbags and then we work down to the older trucks on a fleet with no airbags , no seatbelts and maybe no abs.

so if your the unfortunate one driving the old nail then is your employer breaking any health and safety regs ■■?
ok i know the answer to this, he is not. but why not■■? ok so i know seatbelts were not required on older vehicles but why should one driver get all the modern safety items that come with a new truck when the other driver has no safety items at all. is this fair ■■
health and safety went mad in this country but drivers safety in there trucks does not count ■■.

2nd point.
as some of you will be aware if you have to use chains,slings or cables for lifting(ie cranes or hiabs etc) then they must be certified and tested to say they are capable of carrying a given weight and are servicable.
the same also goes for engine hoists and trolley jacks in the garage workshops. my point is that vehicle jacks are not included. i dont know why ■■. ok so most of us never get to change a wheel nowadays but some still do.owner drivers maybe and a few of the smaller companies.
what would health and safety say about a bloke using a jack to lift a 44 ton truck. a jack that has sat in that truck for years and years and never even been looked at never mind being tested.
would the employer be liable for damages as a result of a driver hurting himself whilst using a jack that has never been tested in years ■■?.
even sillier is would an employer have to provide training on operating a jack which is a piece of lifting equipment after all.

your thoughts please.
one thing about being a driver is you have plenty of time to think of this stuff, or is it just me :wink:

If the company is BSI / ISO 9002 registered and conforms to all the rules then workshop equipment such as jacks, hoists and lifting equipment should be tested and calibrated as should torque wrenches and metering equipment. All equipment tested shoud have a certificate somewhere on the premises. Waste is the same, It has to be documented.

If you dont agree to ISO then you cant supply goods to companies that do.

In theory anyway.

There is someone making lots of money doing safety audits on workshops and warehouses.

That was a long post, Hope it was tested! :laughing:

Malc

Haulage Health and safety

Loler ( all lifting/straps/tie down equipment H&S)
PuwerAny tool/machinery that is used with work
( these two are engrained in my brain lo as they are used every day with me physical checks for any defects )
Parking Health and safety

and as for the situation of a driver changing a wheel getting hurt if that driver had placed themself in a position that endangered themselves then they are breaking that H&S rule but if a employer Said that they must do that and the employee/driver can prove that by been asked to do such a thing was contravening H&S then the employer is at fault.As it states that the final judgement lies with the individual regarding their health and safety and those around them.If you dont feel it is safe enough to do then dont do it until the matter is made safer to your satisfaction