Health after many years of truck driving

Conor:
Sleep depravation, memory loss, diabetes, back problems, melanoma are all common in truck drivers.

This is not truck drivers problem but trunking job driver problem.Because class 2 drivers or any multi drop drivers will have much less problem with health after 10 or 20 years that trunking drivers.Class 2 drivers or store delivery drivers lift heave item,to much think how to reversing,ot …use callories and will have less problem with back.But trunking drivers not walking,not lifting nothing,not so much think.After this will be problem with sleeping.If we wont more better future that we must have active life stile.

Lucid-dreams:

I guess if you are a tramper it’s important what kind of facilities you have access to, I’ve seen some videos on YT where truckers even do some runs around lorry parks or somewhere else, but I can’t imagine doing heavy exercises or running while staying in lay by and then sweaty, sticky and stinky continuing your journey, it’s different if you have access to shower.
[/quote]
Hello Miles! Unfortunately that seems to be the downside of tramping, however I think I’d trade being a little sweaty for a day than in exchange to becoming a walking heart attack. However different people have different priorities, this is only my opinion. Lucid Dreams.
[/quote]
Don’t get me wrong, I do exercise in the mornings, and I even run on some odd weekends and that’s why knowing how much sweat is coming from me I can’t imagine to do this and then to keep driving without a shower.

milesahead:

Lucid-dreams:

I guess if you are a tramper it’s important what kind of facilities you have access to, I’ve seen some videos on YT where truckers even do some runs around lorry parks or somewhere else, but I can’t imagine doing heavy exercises or running while staying in lay by and then sweaty, sticky and stinky continuing your journey, it’s different if you have access to shower.

Hello Miles! Unfortunately that seems to be the downside of tramping, however I think I’d trade being a little sweaty for a day than in exchange to becoming a walking heart attack. However different people have different priorities, this is only my opinion. Lucid Dreams.
[/quote]
Don’t get me wrong, I do exercise in the mornings, and I even run on some odd weekends and that’s why knowing how much sweat is coming from me I can’t imagine to do this and then to keep driving without a shower.
[/quote]
Hello again Miles, it seems to me you have a lot of pride in your fitness, health and cleanliness. Perhaps day work would suit you more than tramping? I’ve had numerous drivers admit that when they were tramping they would only have a “wash” with baby wipes rather than actually showering. I imagine a few of the users on this forum who tramp also do the same thing but would never openly admit this. Lucid Dreams.

Lucid-dreams:
I’ve had numerous drivers admit that when they were tramping they would only have a “wash” with baby wipes rather than actually showering. I imagine a few of the users on this forum who tramp also do the same thing but would never openly admit this. Lucid Dreams.

Give it a rest :unamused:

Lucid-dreams:

milesahead:

Lucid-dreams:

[/quote]
Hello again Miles, it seems to me you have a lot of pride in your fitness, health and cleanliness. Perhaps day work would suit you more than tramping? I’ve had numerous drivers admit that when they were tramping they would only have a “wash” with baby wipes rather than actually showering. I imagine a few of the users on this forum who tramp also do the same thing but would never openly admit this. Lucid Dreams.
[/quote]
:slight_smile: I just like to have shower after good run.

After eight years of tramping all over Europe and some Asia I had as a guy not even 30:

gained 27kgs
become borderline diabetic (had the nightly leg cramps already)
male infertility thanks to sitting thousands of kms in a row
severely damaged both legs after a run-in with a 15t forklift
blood pressure way too high

6 years later I’ve lost 17kgs from my “top form”, blood sugar is well within limits, as is my blood pressure. Legs better thanks to regular exercise and change of profession, as well as an operation to remove some of the supporting metal. First son was born a year after I quit driving and a second one soon followed. Neither of them will hopefully ever drive a truck full-time, as won’t I again, if I can help it.

I made the choice a long time ago that to drive stress-free was better than being stressed-out doing some office job, be it TM or even Depot Boss.

Some of my old classmates from school took the other path, and to see the state of their health now, I would have to conclude that you need quite a fitness regime to compensate for the way “Executive Stress” burns one out otherwise. :neutral_face:

There’s no point earning double the money - if you only live half the time. :bulb:

Left arm…

Popped putting suzies on.

Both shoulders are what I call crunchy.

Back ache.

Carrying more weight than I should be but, not into sumo wrestler territory though.

I used to stress, tailgate flashing anything in my path out of the way, do everything double quick, take a bends one mph faster every time I got there. Wotta complete waste of time that was.

Mr Chill now bimbles around and giggles at those who drive like that now.

yourhavingalarf:
Left arm…

Popped putting suzies on.

Both shoulders are what I call crunchy.

Back ache.

Carrying more weight than I should be but, not into sumo wrestler territory though.

I used to stress, tailgate flashing anything in my path out of the way, do everything double quick, take a bends one mph faster every time I got there. Wotta complete waste of time that was.

Mr Chill now bimbles around and giggles at those who drive like that now.

So have you found something else or just retired?

Andrejs:

Conor:
Sleep depravation, memory loss, diabetes, back problems, melanoma are all common in truck drivers.

This is not truck drivers problem but trunking job driver problem.Because class 2 drivers or any multi drop drivers will have much less problem with health after 10 or 20 years that trunking drivers.Class 2 drivers or store delivery drivers lift heave item,to much think how to reversing,ot …use callories and will have less problem with back.But trunking drivers not walking,not lifting nothing,not so much think.After this will be problem with sleeping.If we wont more better future that we must have active life stile.

I’ve always been a stocky lad, but my first few jobs on the lorries was working for the woodyards. First few weeks nearly killed me, but by god did the weight shift. I’ve been night trunking for three years now and I’ve really put the weight back on. I’m determined to dust the bike off and start cycling to work.

My back has suffered more than everything else, I believe that’s because for the past 11 years I have been driving smooth bore liquid tankers and when they are bellow the full mark the movement of load really slams your back. I have other problems as some of you who know me are aware but they are nothing to do with the job.

Captain Caveman 76:

Andrejs:

Conor:

I’ve always been a stocky lad, but my first few jobs on the lorries was working for the woodyards. First few weeks nearly killed me, but by god did the weight shift. I’ve been night trunking for three years now and I’ve really put the weight back on. I’m determined to dust the bike off and start cycling to work.

I would never take full-time night job, I use to do 5 nights 2 off for one year and I still remember this like a nightmare, it wasn’t right, after some half a year I have developed sleep problems, worked at night and couldn’t sleep more than few hours in the day, I was living zombie. If I would continue, I wouldn’t be around for too long, never again…

Knees, hips and shoulders are knackered after years of shifting pallets and cages often on icy floors and dodgy cambers. Back is painful due to disease and affects my stability at times. Got arthritis starting to lock my fingers up but apart from that in reasonable nick for a 60+ bloke.