Health after many years of truck driving

Regular Alcohol consumption is a high risk factor in Alzheimers cases, and it doesn’t matter if you are a low-moderate drinker either.
As for being healthy in this industry why worry, the obvious effects of doing the job previously stated will kill you before you reach retirement

Franglais:
Broken sleep for ferry moves?

Did that last Friday, got to port 4pm, on break/ferry mode, slept 2hrs, move on boat 8:15pm, couldn’t get to sleep on boat, off boat 1am drive 15mins to layby, get another 2hrs sleep. Drive back to yard 7am. Home at 8am, sleep till 12 mid day and in the pub with mates from 1pm.

I know I couldn’t keep that up long before putting myself in an early grave.

Most has been said already,big gut,cronky knees,Big C the only thing missing is the varicose veins in your right leg due to keeping your foot in one position on the accelerator for long periods.
More blue lines than a road map :laughing:

Conor:
Sleep depravation, memory loss, diabetes, back problems, melanoma are all common in truck drivers.

I don’t remember having any of them

Get into the habit of slouching down in the driving seat and back trouble will soon catch up with you.
Being a sedentary lazy so’n’so isn’t limited to lorry driving, but we’ve our fsur share of 'em.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

milesahead:
Hi all,

Just would be interesting to know from experienced drivers about professional health issues. And my question is: Did your choice to become professional driver affected your health and if yes in what way?

Hello Miles! What an interesting question! I’ve been driving trucks now for some time, on my days off I’m always sure to go hiking - usually 10-15 miles a hike and when I’m in work I will always do some light exercises before I start work. There is absolutely no excuse to be overweight as a truck driver. If you live under 15 miles from depot why not cycle to work? It’s what my friend does! Lucid Dreams.

albion:

milesahead:

Conor:
Sleep depravation, memory loss, diabetes, back problems, melanoma are all common in truck drivers.

That’s interesting, I have never heard people mention memory loss. How is this connected to truck driving? Do you think it’s stress and long periods of concentration to blame for?

I have no idea, just throwing out an idea. They now say diesel is potentially a factor in the formation of Alzheimers, so memory loss at a more basic level wouldn’t be a big leap.

Mr A died of Alzheimers/dementia ( never a proper diagnosis) and he spent his entire life round engines. Probably means I’m screwed since I’ve been getting in wagons since I was 3.

sciencemag.org/news/2017/01/ … s-dementia

+1

peirre:
Regular Alcohol consumption is a high risk factor in Alzheimers cases, and it doesn’t matter if you are a low-moderate drinker either.
As for being healthy in this industry why worry, the obvious effects of doing the job previously stated will kill you before you reach retirement

Thanks, that sounds really motivational :slight_smile:

malcolmgbell:

Conor:

:smiley:

Juddian:
Some drivers are their own worst enemas, all some want to do is sit behind the wheel steering whilst the lorry does everything else, then waddle into a holding pen and polish the trouser arse to a even higher shine.

Unload themselves, even with an electric pallet truck? not my job pal.
Sack barrow boxes into a shop? nah mate i only undo doors or twist locks, worse case i might pull a curtain back.
Wash the lorry? splutter, aint my lorry mate.
Change a bulb? WHA’ !!!

Not only drivers…

Lucid-dreams:

milesahead:
Hi all,

Just would be interesting to know from experienced drivers about professional health issues. And my question is: Did your choice to become professional driver affected your health and if yes in what way?

Hello Miles! What an interesting question! I’ve been driving trucks now for some time, on my days off I’m always sure to go hiking - usually 10-15 miles a hike and when I’m in work I will always do some light exercises before I start work. There is absolutely no excuse to be overweight as a truck driver. If you live under 15 miles from depot why not cycle to work? It’s what my friend does! Lucid Dreams.

It’s truth, looks like active lifestyle is the answer and to take care of your body, healthy food, minimum or no alcohol, exercising etc.

Conor:

I’d add melodrama to that list :wink:

malcolmgbell:

Conor:

+1.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lucid-dreams:

milesahead:
Hi all,

Take it he’s not a tramper then?.

daftvader:

Lucid-dreams:

milesahead:
Hi all,

Hello Daftvader! No, I’m not currently a tramper, but if I was I would still engage in as much exercise as possible, light exercise is definitely possible no matter if one is a tramper or not. Lucid Dreams.

Its not what you do once, but do a thousand times.

Lucid-dreams:

daftvader:

Lucid-dreams:

milesahead:
Hi all,

Hello Daftvader! No, I’m not currently a tramper, but if I was I would still engage in as much exercise as possible, light exercise is definitely possible no matter if one is a tramper or not. Lucid Dreams.

I guess if you are a tramper it’s important what kind of facilities you have access to, I’ve seen some videos on YT where truckers even do some runs around lorry parks or somewhere else, but I can’t imagine doing heavy exercises or running while staying in lay by and then sweaty, sticky and stinky continuing your journey, it’s different if you have access to shower.

[/quote]
I guess if you are a tramper it’s important what kind of facilities you have access to, I’ve seen some videos on YT where truckers even do some runs around lorry parks or somewhere else, but I can’t imagine doing heavy exercises or running while staying in lay by and then sweaty, sticky and stinky continuing your journey, it’s different if you have access to shower.
[/quote]
Hello Miles! Unfortunately that seems to be the downside of tramping, however I think I’d trade being a little sweaty for a day than in exchange to becoming a walking heart attack. However different people have different priorities, this is only my opinion. Lucid Dreams.

I try to get out an run or exercise as much as I can. Some weeks its every night some weeks It’s sod all.
It’s helped keep any potential weight gain off. But losing weight i do extra at weekends. What you eat is a major factor. I’m still a chunky monkey But am looking to change to either days or 4on4off so I can be a bit more active and change this.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lucid-dreams:

daftvader:

Lucid-dreams:

milesahead:
Hi all,

I was refering to your friend who you said cycles to work.Sorry for the confusion.