heads up Saddleworth this friday

its the annual whit friday walks and band contest around the villages in the saddleworth and tameside area this friday meaning roads will be closed around the area 9.30 am - 12.30 pm for the church walks and then 3.30- pm midnight for the band contests also on some local roads a one way system will be introduced to ease congestion . so if you have any deliverys or you are routed through the area at all this friday (24th ) beware there will be delays
this will affect the
A62
A635
A672
and many other roads

good luck and stay safe

Fancied going to this, but I’m on holiday in France.

Guess I’ll just have to watch YouTube.

Ken.

I’ve got the day off to go and listen - ‘The best free show on earth’ as it is known :smiley: :smiley:

Is this the same competition that’s featured in the film “brassed off”■■
I’d love to see it for real,espicially if miss Glourious ■■■■ is still playing for grimthorpe colliery band lol!!
Can’t beat a bit a brass band,I love em.

jase:
I’d love to see it for real,espicially if miss Glourious ■■■■ is still playing for grimthorpe colliery band lol!!

yes it is the one featured was the one at dobcross which is a pleasent place to watch the bands good luck getting to it tho

miss Glourious ■■■■ — lol

Latique:

jase:

yes it is the one featured was the one at dobcross which is a pleasent place to watch the bands good luck getting to it tho

It was filmed in Delph not Dobcross !

Although I can’t make it this year, cheers for the heads up. We’ll deffo be doing it next year.

I am the ultimate contradiction, famous for my Punk/Goth/Rock heritage, yet happy to sit on the grass & listen to a bit of Brass.

One of the happiest days of my life was being invited to guest perform at the final concert of the remnants of my local collieries bands & choirs.

Take a look at the Whit Friday Brass Band Contests website HERE for all the info you need.
If the weathers good its a cracking event will be there later :slight_smile:
Here’s a few pictures i took in Delph a couple of years ago

As you can see its a no go zone for traffic
Delph has a weight restriction all the time but the two major routes you really need to avoid this evening are the A62 at Scouthead and the A670 through Uppermill.

Its that time of year again. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Its on tonight (13th of June) so beware if your trying to get through Saddleworth.

Hope no one got too stuck… I’m on my way back now from the whit marches to long Eaton with my brass band! Did 8 marches, a good laugh and some beers!

I bet that was brilliant too. I love a brass band, like hens teeth in Oz though.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma … r-27839529

bloody shame they have now stopped the beer walk on the following day due to police/marshaling costs was a good fun way of raising lots of money for charidee shame the few idiots spoiled it used to make it a great weekend

Driver-Once-More:
Brass bands in Oldham and Saddleworth Whit Friday contests - BBC News

Luvverly. One of the things I miss about the old country.