Heads up on Read Boardall Interview

Nearly Forgot about this…

Anyway had an interview with the Transport manager usual stuff…anyhow in the discussion he says I have saved the worst bit till last…If you have a bump we expect you to pay for the damage.

Anyhow I think he senses my displeasure when I ask him to give examples of where drivers have been negligent and then put there hands in pocket…well after about half a dozen examples of people having to pay for number plates , wing mirrors,doors, and a host of other stuff he stops .

The pay was not very good and the overtime rate was crap as well I can.t remember the exact rates but they were not too clever given that the job he was offereing was 4 on and 4 off.

Having said the above i thought well with a few nites out i could make mi money up and im not shy when it comes to working full hours.

Then he tells me that some nights they may bring me back to the yard and then I would not get night out money…BUT because sometimes I would need to start very early the next day (middle of night) I could sleep in the truck in the yard so i would not have to drive back to Pontefract… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I ask him how often might that happen he says sometimes 3 times a week sometimes none but just lately quite a bit :confused: :confused:

Now how nice of him was that. :open_mouth:

So we end the interview and he tells me I have been successful and am I still interested?

Thank you very much but no thank you I say.

Can I ask what changed yer mind he asks.

pretty much all of it I say and shake his sweaty hand and leave.

Two days ago sat looking out the window and posty shoves a letter thru the letterbox…a letter from the RB traffic office telling me my starting date etc etc …not much good given the start date was 18 February and the letter arrived 26 February not to mention I didn’t want the job.

have a bump we expect you to pay for the damage

Now I’ve seen this a few times latley on here.Is this a new thing or is it common practice? iv’e never personally come across it but am absolutley staggered that anyone would agree to it :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Who on here works for a company that takes money off you for having a minor accident :question:

AND WHY :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

shade:

have a bump we expect you to pay for the damage

Now I’ve seen this a few times latley on here.Is this a new thing or is it common practice? iv’e never personally come across it but am absolutley staggered that anyone would agree to it :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Who on here works for a company that takes money off you for having a minor accident :question:

AND WHY :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

No it’s not new started to become more prevelant at the start of the influx of our european cousins, and firms like RB and Macfarlanes of Leeds use it I have also heard of others.

But the funny thing was that when I said that most accidents are not clear cut and blame is alocated on a percentage basis , he said well to be honest we know who the the bad drivers are and the good drivers who have the odd scrape we leave alone. Face fits culture or what.

I said well if you know you have bad drivers why do you employ them. The real answer to this question is that they can only attract new drivers or people who are desperate. No offence to drivers who find themselves in either situation we all do we we got to do in life :slight_smile:

Argh but you can pick which big fancy moter you want to drive coder :laughing: :laughing:
(little dig on post FM12`s)

greek:
Argh but you can pick which big fancy moter you want to drive coder :laughing: :laughing:
(little dig on post FM12`s)

Thats all I live for greek , stuff the money :laughing:

If you have an accident you pay, how much?.

Just the excess?, all of it?.

Somebody in a services side swipes you while your having a dump, does £2.000 worth of damage do you have to pay?, cause you cant prove it wasnt your fault if he does not stop.

I am not a lawyer but is this legal?.

I guess it’s only legal if you agree to it,and sign to say so.

Ken.

I’d tell them to sling their ■■■■■■■ hook. :unamused: Mugs, the lot of 'em, working under those T&Cs.

I applied for and spoke to ‘Downtons’ to work out of Shotton. They said simialr regarding nights out. If you got back to the yard and needed a nine off then you could kip in the truck in the yard but would not get paid for it. Where do they get off? If they want reduced rests at the yard they can pay for the pleasure, its them thats gaining productivity and they don’t wanna share this productivity with you !! Go swivel i say !!

Rob K:
I’d tell them to sling their [zb] hook. :unamused: Mugs, the lot of 'em, working under those T&Cs.

Exactly what i did Rob…you see the way i see this and I know the PC brigade are not gonna be happy but…bad employers exploit every oppurtunity to pray on the vulnerable worker to further the business plan …the poles arived and they saw an oppurtunity to drive down T&C’S after a while our desperate buddies have to conform or not work this then becomes custom and practice.

Mike-C:
I applied for and spoke to ‘Downtons’ to work out of Shotton. They said simialr regarding nights out. If you got back to the yard and needed a nine off then you could kip in the truck in the yard but would not get paid for it. Where do they get off? If they want reduced rests at the yard they can pay for the pleasure, its them thats gaining productivity and they don’t wanna share this productivity with you !! Go swivel i say !!

Bang on Mike I was amazed he could keep a straight face…the best one was when he says we don’t mind you sleeping in the yard it will save you the petrol money…Cheaky Barsteward :smiling_imp:

aah reed boardall

couple of years ago i was looking for a change so rang everyone within 10 miles
conversation started well enough hi looking for mainly days but can do odd nights out with a bit of notice
answer came back ok days we’ll expect 3x15 hr and 2x13 every week
:open_mouth: conversation ended :smiley:
dont think i even found out what they were paying

thecoder0:
Bang on Mike I was amazed he could keep a straight face…the best one was when he says we don’t mind you sleeping in the yard it will save you the petrol money…Cheaky Barsteward :smiling_imp:

thing is dave when he was telling you this did you keep a straight face. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jessicas dad:

thecoder0:

thing is dave when he was telling you this did you keep a straight face. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No i looked like i was chewing a wasp :laughing: :laughing:

thecoder0:

Mike-C:

It annoys the crap out of me if I have to have a night in the yard/at home midweek. I have a very simple rule - If I’m “sent” home midweeek, I’ll ALWYS have 11 off. But that’s 11 off IN THE HOUSE, so that actually means 13 off. Unless of course I get a driveby and call round the house on my way to a job. Then I’ll have a 9 but I still want my night out money/meal allowance/incidental payment.

a boss i used to work for told me if i was heading past the yard near the end of the day i could park up there go home which was only 4 miles away and still claim my night out money as it meant the truck and any load was secure.

neil46:
a boss i used to work for told me if i was heading past the yard near the end of the day i could park up there go home which was only 4 miles away and still claim my night out money as it meant the truck and any load was secure.

Still happens here mate. I get a reduced night out if I am in the depot but a night out nevertheless.

I think it is

£37 continental
£23 UK
£20 Home

This is done to ensure the truck is in secure parking

Is it just me or are pay and conditions going backwards?

I hear alot of drivers saying what a good crack lorry driving was a few years ago. Now they screw the last penny out of us. I have to admit though, my current employer is as good as gold.

Just to add - ive been to Boardalls for an interview this week and was told that damages to be paid for did not include any type of RTAs - was irrelevant anyway cos as a newbie with no experience I messed up on the reverse on my driving assessment - first time in an auto and first time doing a 90 degree reverse into a space where i wouldve struggled to get my car in - ho hum but i suppose it`s all about getting the practice in :cry:

Lankytim:
I have to admit though, my current employer is as good as gold.

:unamused: