headphones

i’v started too notice in the past few months that some drivers have started too wear headphones when they are driving and it’s kind of set me off thinking as to why they would do this as i dont think it’s very safe.
When i was learning the skills (and still am learning) i was always told to use my ears and listen out for potential problems developing be it engine or tyres , i mean many of us will change gear by ear rather than the rev counter, you will hear if something is a miss with the engine by it’s sound, you will hear a tyre if it has went pop (they dont always go bang loudly), you also wont hear the crunch if you have hit something.
how are you going to explain to your boss when you call him to say you’ve lost a wheel, i know what my boss would say" didnt you hear it" (n yes you can hear a slack wheel on the trailer at 56 mph over the stereo) what you gonna say " no boss i had my headphones in my ears and didnt hear it" i dont think he would be very happy n i dont think the police or vosa would be happy either.
i know there are owner drivers and fleet owners on here and it would be interesting too hear what they think about this and would they be happy if there drivers were wearing headphones while driving.
(i’m not on about bluetooth earpeices for the phone i’m on about mp3 player headphones)

You are so right there mate I have always thought this, you need to hear what’s going on. I sometimes think when the boy racers are buzzing around in there own sad little world, going bump, bump. bump, they would only know if there was a problem when they came to a halt. :unamused:

if it is white in ear headphones you seen its prob iphone headphones as they have a microphone built into the volume control button on the cable.i use mine as hands free cos there no point in buyin a bluetooth headset for ur iphone when you get the headphones free

trev0011:
if it is white in ear headphones you seen its prob iphone headphones as they have a microphone built into the volume control button on the cable.i use mine as hands free cos there no point in buyin a bluetooth headset for ur iphone when you get the headphones free

then you will be aware you can still get fined for being on the mobile phone then as some coppers veiw this as the cable is connected to the phone and the cable is connected too your ears then you are physically connected too the phone and eligable for £60 fine and 3 points

well in that case if any plod try to do me for that they will swiftly be told to ■■■■ the back of my balls :laughing: if my hands are on the steering wheel and not touching the phone they can blow it out their hole

scotstrucker:

trev0011:

then you will be aware you can still get fined for being on the mobile phone then as some coppers veiw this as the cable is connected to the phone and the cable is connected too your ears then you are physically connected too the phone and eligable for £60 fine and 3 points

In that case even with my ear piece in and my phone on the dash, my hands on the steering wheel that’s connected to the dash then I’m still in contact with my phone :astonished:. :wink:

I use headphones for my mobile but I can still hear things I need to hear such as traffic noise, engine note and so forth.

The headphones are connected to the phone and the phone sits in a cradle, although not everyone will call it a cradle and some may refer to it as a shirt pocket. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

scotstrucker:

trev0011:

Are you serious?..thats just like saying everyone right now is in space and connected to the international space station…after all, the air above my head is connected to space, and the space station, naturally is in space…does that mean that the police can give me 3 points and a £60fpn for carrying a space station around on my travels?

And the headphone thing is a ■■■■ argument too…I can hear just as well with my headphones in just as I can if I were listening to the in cab radio.

A farmer friend of mine has removed all of the radios from his tractors and other machinery, after one operator had his radio up so loud he never heard one of the main bearings on the combine ceasing up. It ending up costing a new combine and half a field of wheat, when the thing got so hot it went up in smoke

I use Headphones with Bluetooth to listen to the Music on my phone. I have about 12GB of Music and if the phone rings it automatically cuts out the Music.
No cable and if it’s not too loud I can still hear other stuff going on around me.