Headlight Drivers Association

How many drivers on this site were members of the Headlight Drivers Association, I was and wore my badge with pride, I’ve still got it too!
In days of old when lorry drivers were seen as Knights of the Road, Headlight was the only magazine that catered for lorry drivers, this magazine is sorely missed by drivers of my age group.
It was not only a source of digs before sleeper cabs, it also was invaluable in finding a return load if you needed one.
Alex.

alexsaville:
How many drivers on this site were members of the Headlight Drivers Association, I was and wore my badge with pride, I’ve still got it too!
In days of old when lorry drivers were seen as Knights of the Road, Headlight was the only magazine that catered for lorry drivers, this magazine is sorely missed by drivers of my age group.
It was not only a source of digs before sleeper cabs, it also was invaluable in finding a return load if you needed one.
Alex.

Know what you mean Alex, about it being essential for digs (except when the ‘Three Pedals’ was preferable), and backloads, and I never missed a copy, but I remember getting cheesed of with the enormous amount of space given to court reports about drivers who had fallen foul of the law. My first trip ‘down the road’ my more experienced mate said ‘right the first thing you do is buy Headlight’. And he was right. Happy days.

Salut, David.

Here is a link between the two.

I first saw Headlight late one night in March 1970 at the Londonderry Garage on the old A1 near Leeming after our family’s AEC had put con rod through the block. When it happened we headed to the nearest bridge but a police patrol in a dark blue Zephyr or Zodiac pulled over to check us out they were ok, and told us where to head for, as it happened we were near the Cafe. The bloke on the fuel pump was talking to a Catto’s driver in a Marshal, who he clearly knew, about parking up for the night ,He told us there were around 80 wagons parked up and I remember a Big J, possibly operated by Stillers, on the front row… Anyway, we made inquiries about getting the wagon dragged in but he said the gaffer was ill so it wouldnt happen.I did notice the “24HR breakdown service” painted on the Mk 111 AEC wrecker and thought maybe people in this transport game dont always advertise the truth (!!!). So we set in for a long wait to be collected and to go with the large number of egg sandwiches, my brother picked up Headlight, which was certainly different from CM which was the only transport mag I had heard of. It did ask for a contribution or it might have been a subscription to operate a AA type patrol, there was a picture of Land Rover or it may have been Austin Gypsy. I kept that for years and later took out a subscription till it was closed down but would definiteley buy it again.

It all seems a a bit of an adventure when you are 14 and I got the next day off school. We were actually heading up to Bedale cattle market which like AEC and Catto’s is no more, though I believe the Cafe is still there but maybe called something else

Sorry, folks I will not be able to moniter this subject for quite a while as my computer has expired. As a one off I am able to use someone,s computer to sort out a few things. It will probalby be months before I am able to get back on-line, sorry.
Alex

Alex,
Could not agree more about the ‘Headlight drivers association’, in fact I still have several ‘Red Drivers digs books’ from when I started mating back in ‘67’, they always published in the front the ‘BRS’ drivers rates of pay and for most people that was what their boss look at for paying his drivers, I’m not saying that you got paid the ‘BRS’ rate sounds like I’m getting old. :laughing:

boden:
Here is a link between the two.

It all seems a a bit of an adventure when you are 14 and I got the next day off school. We were actually heading up to Bedale cattle market which like AEC and Catto’s is no more, though I believe the Cafe is still there but maybe called something else

The cafe is still there, it is now called the Londonderry Truckstop, if you visit it nowadays, you will be very surprised. the paint used in those days must have been very good because it is still the same :stuck_out_tongue:

The only difference you will notice is that there are a few more potholes :smiley:

I miss the Headlight, I even enjoyed reading the court reports and the excessive fines of 5/- for not filling in your log book

I think I have a couple of copies of Headlight from the 60’s, I will try to find them.
Phil

there’s some from the late eighties and early nineties on ebay at the moment

alexsaville:
Alex.

Best read available for back loads, and the badge, well, what can I say, well cool :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Still got mine, not bad for a spring chicken :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Just looked out my dad’s old badge, reckon that it must date from the 1950’s and it’s a bit battered but still looks the part. I can almost smell his old jacket on it!

Pete.

I still have my membership card along with my first brown “HGV” licence booklet in a wallet somewhere, but the missus has" tidied up" and I’m b*****ed if I can put my hands on it at the mo! :cry: