Headboards on trailers

Do I have to have a headboard on my HGV

We use flat trailers and most don’t have headboards
is it a legal requirement

Best practise to have a headboard but not illegal to be without one - not sure if trailers made after a certain date must be made with one

Think vosa note I said THINK … look at a headboard as part of the load restraint system so with no headboard everything’s gonna have to be lashed down well…

I was only thinking about this the other day when I saw was of those flat bed trailers which collect the empty CHEP pallets from RDC’s. It would appear that there is no restraint for the upper ten pallets (they seem to stack them twenty high) so in the event of the driver having to stop in a hurry, I fail to see how this can be safe.

Lusk:
I was only thinking about this the other day when I saw was of those flat bed trailers which collect the empty CHEP pallets from RDC’s. It would appear that there is no restraint for the upper ten pallets (they seem to stack them twenty high) so in the event of the driver having to stop in a hurry, I fail to see how this can be safe.

We always roped our loads so they would have 2 crosses on the front giving that restraint with additional roping … never lost a pallet but of course unless your ropes and hooks are tested your stuffed lol

I think I’m right in saying that I’ve never seen the pallets secured from front to back as it were or at the very least the front ones secured.

Lusk:

Pallets are broad and low. If they are properly stacked and strapped they don’t slide.
I fail to see how you can imagine it isn’t safe.

If a truck is going flat out down the motorway, as an example, and has to stop in a hurry, logic would surely suggest that unless they have something to stop them moving forward, they have the potential to come off. I have no experience of moving them so I dont know how well they travel but to not strap them to prevent them from moving forwards seems to me to not be safe.

Lusk:
If a truck is going flat out down the motorway, as an example, and has to stop in a hurry, logic would surely suggest that unless they have something to stop them moving forward, they have the potential to come off. I have no experience of moving them so I dont know how well they travel but to not strap them to prevent them from moving forwards seems to me to not be safe.

It would be unsafe if they were not strapped, but it doesn’t take a lot to make them safe.
Just because you didn’t see it doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.
As you’ve pointed out yourself, you don’t have any experience of moving them in bulk.
I do.

Simon:
It would be unsafe if they were not strapped, but it doesn’t take a lot to make them safe.
As you’ve pointed out yourself, you don’t have any experience of moving them in bulk.
I do.

Seen it today and they were not strapped - foolhardy, dangerous and irresponsible.

Lusk:

Simon:
I do.

Seen it today and they were not strapped - foolhardy, dangerous and irresponsible.

Get onto VOSA and report the car transporters as well, they’ve no headboards and no strapping to stop them coming forward !!

The argument is not about headboards, it’s about whether the load is suitably restrained or not and in the case of the pallet transporting vehicle which I saw, they werent. Cars which are carried on the top deck of a transporter are properly restrained by straps on each wheel and in some cases a winch.