Hazmat pay question

Hi all, just a quick question, i know it might sound a bit dumb, but i heard that hazmat drivers or adr, can earn 40k a year, iv been looking on the job centre plus website, and i have not yet seen any adr jobs no where near this pay, am i looking in the wrong places? I dont have a adr, but i do have a cat c, and c+e, which i got by being in the army, i ask because when im due to leave the infantry in april im want to be a hgv driver and of course id like to be earning 40k a year adventally.

There are big money jobs like that out there, but i think getting them is a mixture of being in the right place at the right time and persistence. I am currently driving a 6 wheeler fuel tanker and im applying to everyone i can for a start on the artics (these are the big pay jobs you were talking about). A lot of companies won’t touch you with no real world experience though. From what i’ve learned since i started doing it you just have to get your mug around and keep asking about and applying. Eventualy you should get on with one of them. The companys that pay the silly money are some of the chemical tankers. Who, what and where? i don’t know but if i find out ill p.m. you and let you know.

thanx for the replay and help there buddy, i know i havent had any real world experience, but a jorney of a million miles needs to start with the first step, can i just ask a a quick one mate, did the company ur working with now put u through ur adr training or did u have to book it and pay yourself?

Hi stinger, Not sure thether you know this, but you can do ADR as part of your resettlement.

I just wondered whether you’d enquired in that direction before thinking about parting with your own cash. :wink:

If the above is no good, please give your location(ish) and I might be able to help. :grimacing:

stinger:
… im due to leave the infantry in april im want to be a hgv driver

I hope the economic climate picks up by then for you but I doubt it

stinger:
…and of course id like to be earning 40k a year adventally.

Me thinks…

Hi dieseldave yeah i know about the resettlement, im already doing somthing else for that but thanx the help anway, im moving down to devon if thats any help to u, how long does the adr last for is it 5 years? then does it need renewing?

stinger:
Hi dieseldave yeah i know about the resettlement, im already doing somthing else for that but thanx the help anway, im moving down to devon if thats any help to u, how long does the adr last for is it 5 years? then does it need renewing?

Hi stinger, Yes mate, the ADR licence is valid for 5 years, and can be renewed at any time during the last year of validity, but with not less than one month of validity remaining. Effectively, this gives you an 11 month ‘window’ to book your refresher course, of course that’s if you wish to refresh it.

As for an ADR provider in the Devon area, I’d suggest IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

http://www.friendberry.co.uk/. (Taunton.) I’ve used his ADR course when teaching for other providers, and it’s very comprehensive indeed. Mr Friendberry also does resettlement AND runs ‘special offers’ now and again. :wink:

There’s also:

D&A Training
Shirwell Mill
Loxhore
Barnstaple
EX31 4SZ
Tel: 01271 850521
Email: dandatraining@btconnect.com

RMT Consultancy
The Beeches
Dunchideock
Exeter
EX2 9TZ
Phone: 01392 832888
Email: rmtconsultancy@btinternet.com

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Cheers dieseldave, friendberry looks pretty ■■■■ useful, thats a lot of help to me i do appricate that mate.

stinger:
Cheers dieseldave, friendberry looks pretty ■■■■ useful, thats a lot of help to me i do appricate that mate.

Hi stinger, I’m glad I could of help. :grimacing:

Mr Friendberry uses an ADR course that he himself wrote, but I couldn’t comment one way or the other on the other two providers; maybe they also wrote their own too, but any provider is able to buy and use a ‘pre-approved’ ADR course from anybody who’s willing to sell one.

I can honestly say that I’ve used the Friendberry ADR course to deliver ADR training for another provider who had bought it commercially. Part of the quality assurance is that ALL providers must use a course that is ‘approved’ by the exams authority. (SQA.)

Good luck for when you do the course, but please don’t forget that I’m here to help if you get stuck. :wink:

Sorry to Hi-Jack the post :unamused:

Is there any way you can do the ADR on a home study basis and just take the exams when you’re ready?
As a newbie, I don’t think it’s worth shelling out too much at the moment as i’m unlikely to get an ADR job anyway, but if it can be done ‘on the side’ so to speak, it might be worth it to give myself an extra chance

Just a thought :slight_smile:

Robster_1981:
Is there any way you can do the ADR on a home study basis and just take the exams when you’re ready?

Hmmm… dieseldave delivers ADR by webcam - now there’s a thought :exclamation:

Robster_1981:

Hi Robster_1981, I’m afraid that the short answer to your question is “no.”

Please read my answer to a similar question from steamer about two-thirds of the way down :arrow_right: THIS POST

Robster_1981:
As a newbie, I don’t think it’s worth shelling out too much at the moment as i’m unlikely to get an ADR job anyway, but if it can be done ‘on the side’ so to speak, it might be worth it to give myself an extra chance

You might have a good point there mate, but it isn’t set in stone that, as a newbie, you’ll have difficulty getting work with an ADR licence.

In fact, having an ADR licence might just just give you the edge over another newbie who doesn’t hold ADR. Putting it quite simply, there would then be jobs that ONLY you could do, and which would be illegal if the other guy did them. Extending that idea slightly, if a highly experienced driver doesn’t hold ADR when one is needed, you’ll still get the job instead of the other guy. :grimacing:

WADR mate, it might be that your imaginination and careful thought are slightly limiting you. :wink:

ROG:
Hmmm… dieseldave delivers ADR by webcam - now there’s a thought :exclamation:

That’s an interesting thought ROG, cos then I needn’t leave the house to earn an honest bob or two. :smiley:

From a legal point of view, your idea might be something that’s due in the future, but I’m not aware of any plans from SQA that we are presently heading in that direction.