hazchem help

I know that you are allowed to pick up certain hazchem but i was wondering what you are allowed to pick up and not allowed to pick up and how much .with out a haz license any one help

YOU MIGHT NEED…

I’M SURE HE WILL BE ALONG SOON :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Or you can click the picture of the ADR Truck to send him a PM (Private Message) :bulb:

I just won a tenner :smiley:

I bet the wife that Rog would put his generic dieseldave banner on she said no he won’t, but I knew I’d be right so put a monetary bet on it, ta ROG :smiley:

TWINFLAGS:
I know that you are allowed to pick up certain hazchem but i was wondering what you are allowed to pick up and not allowed to pick up and how much .with out a haz license any one help

Hi TWINFLAGS, Unfortunately there are many variables at work here mate.

The first is the way in which the dangerous goods are carried.
If carriage is by tanker, there are no ‘freebie’ limits and the Regs apply in full right from the start.
If carriage is in ‘bulk’ ie, the dangerous goods are loose-loaded (without any form of packaging) in a skip or tipper, again there are no ‘freebies’ and the the Regs apply in full right from the start.
So both of the above will require an ADR trained driver.

Only dangerous goods carried in packages have ‘freebie’ limits, and there are three ways in which ‘freebies’ apply.

Method #1
Excepted Quantities

If the packages have the above label, there are limits (very small indeed) per inner receptacle AND per package AND an overall limit of 1,000 packages per vehicle or container. You won’t need an ADR licence or orange plates for carriage by this method.

Method #2
Limited Quantities
If the packages look something like this…:

…with a white label (100mm x 100mm) on them something like this:

… then you can carry as many as you like without limit as far as ADR is concerned. You’ll not need an ADR licence or orange plates.

The only limits for LQs are that the package has receptacles inside which conform to the inner receptacle code for the substance concerned.
There are currently 28 possible codes, but these are for the sender of the goods to worry about. :grimacing:
As a very rough rule of thumb, the max inner receptacle size for liquids is 5ltrs and the max for solids is 6kgs, but many substances have smaller receptacle size limits than these. The maximum box weight is 30kg, and for a stretch wrapped tray, the max is 20kgs. These sizes and weights again aren’t the responsibilty of a driver, I’ve only given you them as a very rough guideline. It’s best to think of LQs as being the size/type/weight of package of dangerous goods that an ordinary shopper can legally buy from a retail outlet.

If the packages are anything other than above, then the ‘freebie’ depends upon the ADR Transport Category for the substance, which places a (‘freebie’) limit, in this case, per vehicle load.

ADR Transport Categories Vs. Load limits

Cat 0 has a limit of 0ltrs/kgs. (Meaning that any amount is fully subject to ADR Regs)
Cat 1 has a limit of 20ltrs/kgs
Cat 2 has a limit of 333ltrs/kgs
Cat 3 has a limit of 1,000ltrs/kgs
Cat 4 has NO LIMIT and is therefore unlimited.

It is a matter for the consignor and your boss (the carrier) to liase with each other and tell you the appropriate limit for the dangerous goods that they wish you to carry. If you have any doubts about the legality of a load, I suggest that you ask the sender to write the reference for the exemption they reckon keeps you out of the Regs. You are then entitled to rely on that information, a long as you clarify it with the sender/your boss.

When carrying dangerous goods in packages, it is only when the relevant ADR Transport Category ‘freebie’ limit is exceeded that an ADR licence, orange plates and all the rest of the Regs will swing into action.

If you have time, you could have a look at this topic in the Safety, Law and WTD Forum, but please be advised to take some food with you, cos there are 5 pages of it. :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:
Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

I hope this helps. :smiley:

I’ve had 26 pallets of LYNX from uni in doncaster. They had a wee UN number on them. Not requiring ADR I’m told. Still wouldn’t like to hang around if the trailer caught fire though lol

Steve-o:
I’ve had 26 pallets of LYNX from uni in doncaster. They had a wee UN number on them. Not requiring ADR I’m told. Still wouldn’t like to hang around if the trailer caught fire though lol

Hi Steve-o, Aerosols (were they UN 1950?) are usually carried by using the LQ rules, so I’d also say that ADR wasn’t required. :smiley:

dieseldave:

Steve-o:

Hi Steve-o, Aerosols (were they UN 1950?) are usually carried by using the LQ rules, so I’d also say that ADR wasn’t required. :smiley:

Dave, you do know that one day your head will just explode? :laughing: One brain can only hold so much information lol